Taronga Zoo and Koala Encounter

Counting Stars

• 2 weeks later...

I did one at Healseville sanctuary last year was quite disappointing as it was advertised as koala pat and was birthday treat for koala mad daughter. Wasn't allowed to pat koala at all only stand next to it and have pic taken. Whilst can understand the whole it might be upsetting for koala to have too many touchy feely encounters can't help but think shouldn't advertise it as pat if you are not allowed to do so

I did one at Healseville sanctuary last year was quite disappointing as it was advertised as koala pat and was birthday treat for koala mad daughter. Wasn't allowed to pat koala at all only stand next to it and have pic taken. Whilst can understand the whole it might be upsetting for koala to have too many touchy feely encounters can't help but think shouldn't advertise it as pat if you are not allowed to do so

Aww that must have been quite sad for your daughter x

Guest The Pom Queen

You can't touch them in NSW or Vic but can hold one in Qld. They can be very vicious animals.

Guest The Pom Queen
My mate held one in Sidney but it was a few years back now. Don't the eucalypus leave make them high or something?

The rules have been in place since we arrived 10yrs ago so it was either before then or it was done illegally.

No they don't get high from the eucalyptus leaf, it is a very common myth. The reason they sleep so much is because they try to conserve energy as there are not many nutrients in the leaves.

The rules have been in place since we arrived 10yrs ago so it was either before then or it was done illegally.

No they don't get high from the eucalyptus leaf, it is a very common myth. The reason they sleep so much is because they try to conserve energy as there are not many nutrients in the leaves.

much before then:embarrassed: . I know i look young but i'm actually 40(something). No Really!!

You can't touch them in NSW or Vic but can hold one in Qld. They can be very vicious animals.

I saw one trying to attack someone on 'you've been framed' last night lol there seemed to be a theme of australian animals attacking people. One of the kangaroos kicked a bloke in the balls

Yes, we visited Taronga zoo in January on our holiday, we missed the koala encounter, but saw most of the rest, the boys had snakes wrapped around them etc saw the sea lions, went on the mono rail, fantastic day out, struggled to see everything and missed some I am sure. Food was excellent compared to what you get in uk attractions too. Kids loved every minute, great day out and wasn't crowded either. Get there early as its a full day. Paul

hiya, i've done the koala encounter at Toronga was a couple of years ago now but I was only to stand next to them to have photo taken, you're not allowed to touch them. You can take your own photos too though which is good. Ive since been to Australia zoo and held one, much better!

Done it at Featherdale wildlife Park.

The carer put the koala on a low tree stump and gave some eucalyptus branch. And said ok you can smooth the back but don't touch the head.

My 18 month old pat the koala on the head. The koala quickly turn his head and they had a steering contest. Was funny !

Guest The Pom Queen
Done it at Featherdale wildlife Park.

The carer put the koala on a low tree stump and gave some eucalyptus branch. And said ok you can smooth the back but don't touch the head.

My 18 month old pat the koala on the head. The koala quickly turn his head and they had a steering contest. Was funny !

By law she should not have let you, at least she didn't let you hold it.

Archived