The Student thread

annagilda

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just came across this thread and thought I would say hello. I am not planning on studying again at the moment, but have done two degrees and a couple of post grads all as a mature student. I am happy to be a bit of help if any of you need it. My main subject is geology. But can help in chemistry, physics and maths. Also some law - though it is a fair few years since I finished my post grad.

• 2 weeks later...
Hope you're enjoying your 3rd year Anna!

I've had to defer my 2nd year, but I'm reading the lecture notes as I still have access.

I now have a little miracle baby due in March, some real motivation for finishing my degree xxx

Oh wow Shoes! Congratulations, sorry I didn't reply, I haven't really been on the forum much lately! That is incredible news. Keep in touch won't you and you'll be a second year in no time with a little baby to spur you on. How amazing!

xx

Just came across this thread and thought I would say hello. I am not planning on studying again at the moment, but have done two degrees and a couple of post grads all as a mature student. I am happy to be a bit of help if any of you need it. My main subject is geology. But can help in chemistry, physics and maths. Also some law - though it is a fair few years since I finished my post grad.

Thank you! :hug: That means a lot! This forum is a huge part of the motivation that got me through things at the beginning when they were really tough.

The people on here were and are fantastic! :-)

• 2 months later...

Ooh it's been a while since anyone posted here!

Well, my course has deteriorated (different reasons) so I'm looking at becoming a vet nurse instead. It's something I've thought about in the past but never thought I'd be tough enough (I cry, a lot, when watching programmes about sick animals!). But I've got to do something if my original plan isn't going to work out. Feels like 2 years completely wasted, if I get on a vet nurse course I'll leave my current one ASAP. If I don't get on the course, well I'll stay but it leaves me in a very difficult position (can't 'top up' anywhere and not really any job prospects). It's all a bit crap really.

Hope all you lovelies are having more luck then me!

[emoji2]

Well, my course has deteriorated (different reasons) so I'm looking at becoming a vet nurse instead. It's something I've thought about in the past but never thought I'd be tough enough (I cry, a lot, when watching programmes about sick animals!). But I've got to do something if my original plan isn't going to work out. Feels like 2 years completely wasted, if I get on a vet nurse course I'll leave my current one ASAP. If I don't get on the course, well I'll stay but it leaves me in a very difficult position (can't 'top up' anywhere and not really any job prospects). It's all a bit crap really.

[emoji2]

Pmy advice is this.

Research the best unis that are offering what you want to do and the top ones are the ones to go for

if your not happy with your current course, speak to head of dept.

take advice from any other mature students

be very careful what course you do.

I have been through the system twice and considering it a third time. If you want to chat let me know.

You our need to set a very clear goal and a set of small goals. Degrees are not easy, so be prepared.

[emoji2]

Are you going to do the vet nurse degree or the course? I think the course takes 2 years. It does here anyway. Remember what I said - just pop your cv to all the vets you can. Some of the animal shelters will have vet centers too. I managed to get some vet surgery experience quite easily which was unusual. Except it turned out to be a craphole lol. Even if you happen to decide vet nursing isn't for you don't worry - you'll find something that's suited to you. X

Pmy advice is this.

Research the best unis that are offering what you want to do and the top ones are the ones to go for

if your not happy with your current course, speak to head of dept.

take advice from any other mature students

be very careful what course you do.

I have been through the system twice and considering it a third time. If you want to chat let me know.

You our need to set a very clear goal and a set of small goals. Degrees are not easy, so be prepared.

Thanks pal.

The course started off better is year (new manager). But although she's trying her best, we have no where to do a 'top up', they are trying to set one up for a uni that is 3 1/4 hours drive away and won't even be set up for this year anyway.

I'm tied into an area, kids, jobs, schools etc.

The current course isn't in depth enough to get a job with, as all the modules give you the bare minimum of stuff. :-(

Everyone on our course is screwed, we've all got different things we want to do but everyone is struggling to go further once this year ends.

I'm hoping to go check out the campus for the vet nurse course, waiting for them all to get back from holidays and reply to my email.

Edited by Tappers2oz

Are you going to do the vet nurse degree or the course? I think the course takes 2 years. It does here anyway. Remember what I said - just pop your cv to all the vets you can. Some of the animal shelters will have vet centers too. I managed to get some vet surgery experience quite easily which was unusual. Except it turned out to be a craphole lol. Even if you happen to decide vet nursing isn't for you don't worry - you'll find something that's suited to you. X

I'm looking at the degree, it's 2-3 years (3 years is if you still need more hours for placement). If I get enough hours in 2 years then it shouldn't need to be longer.

I've emailed quite a few vets asking if they allow work experience people. One replied asking for my cv/covering letter. Once I tided my out of date cv up, I sent it back lol.

Think I'll give it till the end of next week and if I hear nothing else from the other vets I'll send my cv etc to them too.

I'm looking at the degree, it's 2-3 years (3 years is if you still need more hours for placement). If I get enough hours in 2 years then it shouldn't need to be longer.

I've emailed quite a few vets asking if they allow work experience people. One replied asking for my cv/covering letter. Once I tided my out of date cv up, I sent it back lol.

Think I'll give it till the end of next week and if I hear nothing else from the other vets I'll send my cv etc to them too.

I keep forgetting that degrees are 3 years in England. In Scotland you can do the vet nurse course at college which takes 2 years I think or you can do a degree at Napier which takes 4.

Fingers crossed - just pester them every few weeks lol. Maybe you could also try some kennels/catteries or somewhere like that. I know it's not veterinary but I guess any animal care experience helps. Have you tried the vets that your little bunny went to? Even just say could you come in for a day or two and that will get your foot in the door

I keep forgetting that degrees are 3 years in England. In Scotland you can do the vet nurse course at college which takes 2 years I think or you can do a degree at Napier which takes 4.

Fingers crossed - just pester them every few weeks lol. Maybe you could also try some kennels/catteries or somewhere like that. I know it's not veterinary but I guess any animal care experience helps. Have you tried the vets that your little bunny went to? Even just say could you come in for a day or two and that will get your foot in the door

Yeah they are one of the ones I emailed.

I'm keeping an eye on the kennels/catteries too. I'll email a few of them as well. :-)

Guest littlesarah

Thought I'd stop by and say 'hello', seeing as I'm now back on the 'student train' (enrolled yesterday after a year's leave of absence)! Though I did manage to get my Grad Cert finished last semester, which is a good thing to have finished.

Hope you figure things out, Tappers - it's horrible when the qualification you're working hard for isn't going to get you where you thought it would...

Guest littlesarah
Thanks Littlesarah. I know where is stand with finance (not good news) but at least I know.

What course are you enrolled on?

I'm doing a PhD part-time, in Podiatry. Makes life interesting (and hectic), anyway!

• 1 month later...
How you getting on at uni Anna? X

Hey my love, yeah, not too bad at all thanks! Very busy as I'm in my penultimate term. I've only 2 exams left hopefully! As long as I pass everything!

Also just had my final clinical placement confirmed, which is very exciting.

How are you? xx

Hey my love, yeah, not too bad at all thanks! Very busy as I'm in my penultimate term. I've only 2 exams left hopefully! As long as I pass everything!

Also just had my final clinical placement confirmed, which is very exciting.

How are you? xx

Yeah I bet the last year is mad! I can't believe you've almost finished, I remember when you were doing your access course. You'll pass no problem!

Did you get to pick your last placement? I'm ok thanks, still waiting got a start date for my new job. Fed up waiting now! If I make it to Australia I'll do some studying when I come back. Still not sure about uni so might start at a lower level than a access course, something I can use for jobs like a svq 3 in care or a HNC. Definitely want to do something though. Feel like my brains rotting away haha. Best of luck with the rest of your year, you won't need it tho! Are you planning on staying in the UK for a while when you graduate or are you going straight to aus? X

Guest littlesarah
Wooh! Podiatry. :D

Specifically, peripheral arterial disease in people with diabetes (my main focus is on assessment and diagnosis of microvascular disease). Clinically relevant, but rather niche! After a meeting with my supervisor on Friday, things are back on track - my aim is to publish 3 papers this year, which will keep my busy, but should be do-able. I'm really, really keen to finish by December 2016 - which means I need to pull my finger out and get writing!!

Specifically, peripheral arterial disease in people with diabetes (my main focus is on assessment and diagnosis of microvascular disease). Clinically relevant, but rather niche! After a meeting with my supervisor on Friday, things are back on track - my aim is to publish 3 papers this year, which will keep my busy, but should be do-able. I'm really, really keen to finish by December 2016 - which means I need to pull my finger out and get writing!!

Sounds wonderful Sarah, and absolutely clinically relevant! It would be wonderful to be able to get the information out to the public. So little is known, even by the patients themselves about the issues that can affect the lower limb when someone has Diabetes.

Fair play! :D x

• 1 month later...