The Student thread

annagilda

So, I didn't really realise, but it turns out there are quite a few of us on this site who are either studying or applying to study or thinking of applying.

So... This is a thread to get to know each other, let each other know what we are studying, maybe where we are and anything we might be having trouble with. Also, any banter (within reason) wouldn't go amiss. :wink:

Whether you're studying your SATS or a PhD or just considering applying somewhere just get involved. I'm also interested on any tips on places that offer a good night out.

So, I'll start; for those of you that don't know me; I'm Anna I'm a 2nd year Podiatry (yes that is feet) student in the UK and I'm not particularly academic. I'm doing ok though and I love my course!

:-) Xx

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

How is everyone getting on with their course or application?

Hope you're all well. I'm out on placement at the moment, which is cool, but I'm half way through now and am knackered haha! Also just had exams. :/ Kind of at a little bit of a low point. Not bad, but just wish I could have a bit of a break. At least I'm still really enjoying the actual Podiatry side of it. Totally think it's what I want to do.

Hope everyone is alright, I realise its exam time (In the UK anyway) at the moment. xx

I'm 'Tappers', I am in my first year of a FdSc Forensic Science degree.

Living in Cornwall UK, still hoping to move to Oz within the next 5 years (had a glitch 2 years ago which scuppered out plans).

Loving my uni course, not the management.

Handed in 2 assignments so far, one I came top of my class, first time ever! (I won't mention there are only 7 of us ;-) ). One still to be marked. Lots of exams and more assignments due in in re next couple of months.

Guest guest30085

Hi Anna

Nice to see you back :)

Ive now finished! Yay! Just awaiting one last mark (which is also the difference between a pass or fail on the course) hate waiting :(

Best of luck with the rest of your studies x

Edited to say: just finished MSc in a business related degree

Edited by guest30085

Hi Anna

Nice to see you back :)

Ive now finished! Yay! Just awaiting one last mark (which is also the difference between a pass or fail on the course) hate waiting :(

Best of luck with the rest of your studies x

Edited to say: just finished MSc in a business related degree

Oh Adonna, that is FANTASTIC! Congratulations. I'm sure your last marks will be wonderful. I'm waiting on a bunch of marks at the moment and it sucks doesn't it! :/ Well done though, that's great.

Hi Tapperz. That sounds really interesting! Where in Kernow are you? I'm over the border in Devon. Are you studying in Plymouth? Hope your enjoying yourself, although exam period at the moment is a bit c**p. x

Edited by annagilda

Oh Adonna, that is FANTASTIC! Congratulations. I'm sure your last marks will be wonderful. I'm waiting on a bunch of marks at the moment and it sucks doesn't it! :/ Well done though, that's great.

Hi Tapperz. That sounds really interesting! Where in Kernow are you? I'm over the border in Devon. Are you studying in Plymouth? Hope your enjoying yourself, although exam period at the moment is a bit c**p. x

Ah we're not 'too' far away from each other then.

Studying at Camborne at the mo but might be doing my second yr at City College.

Got my first exam tomorrow and know nothing! ?

Oooh, good luck! I guess you've had it by now. I'm sure you did fantastically. :-)

So, turns out I am getting my break after all! :/ I've had a long standing foot ulcer. Hence the studying Podiatry. Anyway, last week it was ALMOST healed, then on Monday, boom! My foot has completely broken down. So, I'm on mega antibiotics, complete rest and been signed off for a while/ :-( Careful what you wish for lads.

We'll have to see if I can get back in time to make up enough placement hours, otherwise I don't know if I can complete the year. We can hope though. :/ x

Oooh, good luck! I guess you've had it by now. I'm sure you did fantastically. :-)

So, turns out I am getting my break after all! :/ I've had a long standing foot ulcer. Hence the studying Podiatry. Anyway, last week it was ALMOST healed, then on Monday, boom! My foot has completely broken down. So, I'm on mega antibiotics, complete rest and been signed off for a while/ :-( Careful what you wish for lads.

We'll have to see if I can get back in time to make up enough placement hours, otherwise I don't know if I can complete the year. We can hope though. :/ x

Oh dear!

If nothing else at least it's relevant to the course x

I saw a bit of first hand anatomy yesterday at Leeds which was invaluable to say the least.

Back to Huddersfield today for lots of reading and I get to treat my 4th patient tomorrow (by myself for the first time)

Hope the rest does you some good and you get to make up your clinical hours xx

To anyone who doesn't know I'm a 1st year podiatry student :)

Oh dear!

If nothing else at least it's relevant to the course x

I saw a bit of first hand anatomy yesterday at Leeds which was invaluable to say the least.

Back to Huddersfield today for lots of reading and I get to treat my 4th patient tomorrow (by myself for the first time)

Hope the rest does you some good and you get to make up your clinical hours xx

To anyone who doesn't know I'm a 1st year podiatry student :)

Aww, thank you my lovely. I'm sure it will be alright in the end. Oh wow! Sounds like you are getting to do loads pretty quickly! The clinical side of Podiatry is amazing isn't it!!? I love it.

Those first patients are always nerve wracking but it gets easier really quickly. Hope you're still enjoying yourself. :-) XX

Oh wow that sounds awful! I'll keep everything crossed you have a quick recovery and can carry on with your placement.

Yes exam all done, had an hour. Didn't go wonderfully. Half the things we were advised to revise weren't on there, and there was 1/4 of it we weren't told to revise. Urgh be glad just to pass it, don't think I'll be scoring any top marks in that one!

Oh wow that sounds awful! I'll keep everything crossed you have a quick recovery and can carry on with your placement.

Yes exam all done, had an hour. Didn't go wonderfully. Half the things we were advised to revise weren't on there, and there was 1/4 of it we weren't told to revise. Urgh be glad just to pass it, don't think I'll be scoring any top marks in that one!

I'm sure you did fantastically! It's always a relief to have the exam out of the way, however you think it went. I'm waiting on some marks for an exam that I don't think went too well, so that's a but nerve wracking at the moment! Oh well, we can always re-take if we have to. :/ I've never re-taken an exam before though, so it is quite stressful. x

• 2 weeks later...
Assignment number 3 handed in (quantitative methods, glorified maths lol).

Jayzus! That sounds intense! Fair play. I couldn't do anything like that!

Well, I passed my exams I sat in January, so that's a big weight off my mind! I also negotiated today to go back on placement. As long as everyone is happy, I SHOULD be back on Monday morning. :D So chuffed!!!

Just have to give a presentation on Achilles Tendinopathy on Friday, then that's basically half of my degree done! It's mad!! I started my access course in September 2011 and I can't believe how fast the time is going! I am so, so, so pleased to be getting back to Uni this Friday.

I bet all of your results have been grand. :-) Hope you've had them by now or will very soon! The waiting is so difficult!

Just have to give a presentation on Achilles Tendinopathy on Friday, then that's basically half of my degree done!

Congrats on passing your exams!

I have one more presentation this year, I've done the knee and the ankle in gait, just the hip left. They're all group presentations though so not too bad (even if I do like being in control).

Mock anatomy next Monday then 5 exams to go before I'm in my second year!

Doesn't time fly?????

Congrats on passing your exams!

I have one more presentation this year, I've done the knee and the ankle in gait, just the hip left. They're all group presentations though so not too bad (even if I do like being in control).

Mock anatomy next Monday then 5 exams to go before I'm in my second year!

Doesn't time fly?????

Thanks hun! Oh wow, that's a few presentations! I can't believe how fast the time has flown! It's incredible. If I continue to pass everything I'll have finished second year in 3 and a half months! That's scary!!!!

I got a 72% on my presentation on fingerprints, 64.5% in stoopid PESD assignment 1, still waiting on maths.

Had 2 exams so far, one went ok, one went awful (we all said the same) so I wouldn't be surprised if at least 3 or 4 of us (half the class) have to redo it. :-(

Still waiting on the results.

Maths isn't 'so' bad. It was worse when the teacher thought we knew everything, now he has twigged we know nothing it's working a little better lol.

Congrats on passing your exams and (hopefully) getting back on track with your placement!

• 2 weeks later...

You pair of brain boxes! Hope your doing alright. :-)

I'm back on Placement! Whoo hooooo! I've got to take it easy, but at least I'm back. I'll have to make up some time in the summer, but that's ok.

Passed my exams I had a few weeks back too. :-) Nothing like 100% though!!!! X