POTENTIAL LOVE INTEREST...who knows adding people to visas...sponsorship etc etc

bev1978

Hi Everyone..

So, after various traumas and hiccups I am in posession of a 189 perm res visa YEY. flight booked to arrive Perth 21st Sept double YEY. Amazing job in bag, triple YEY.:yes::yes:

Im single and one of my motivations to go to Aus is to hopefully earn enough money to buy a house and settle down AT LASt (35 on the horizon) So, complication is that there is someone here who I have liked alot for a long time. Maybe its the fact I know im going has given me the courage to tell him.......and it turns out he feels the same. Weve talked alot previously about things and he used to live in perth and has family in new south wales..........hed love to go back to oz. He lived in perth till he was 16 but no passport.

ok, so Ive got 6 weeks left here........i definately can see the potential that he may be the one......BUT ......im not going to throw away my visa, or the amazing job offer ive been given...... so just before i dive headlong into this...what would be the options.....i know you have to have been with someone for 2 years to be added as a partner on a visa......his job isnt on the skills list (civil servant) what would be the story with sponsorship...and could his family in NSW sponsor him?

This is the most leftfield thing ever, so annoyed I didnt tell him sooner........anyone know my options???arrghhhhhhhhhhh

Thanks Bev

Was he born in Australia then? How long did he live there? Is there any chance he is a citizen?

He might just be able to apply for a passport or resume residence.

Give us more to go on.

Failing that you could apply for a partner visa but you would need to be together longer for this.

I would push on with your own plans hon.If you're important to this guy,he will find his own way over!:cute:And if he doesn't?The world is your oyster.It sounds like everything is falling into place nicely,and fab you already have a job to go to as well.Can't help with visa queries,but let him sort that out.He's the man,you've done your hard graft,now let him do his!I hope it all works out for you,life and guy wise,but if you helped this guy,he came over,and the relationship didn't last,you might end up feeling hurt,bitter and twisted!:eek:Nah I'd let him sort all this out hon! PS I do hope this guy turns out to be all you hoped,just thinking more for your future happiness.xx

Was he born in Australia then? How long did he live there? Is there any chance he is a citizen?

He might just be able to apply for a passport or resume residence.

Give us more to go on.

Failing that you could apply for a partner visa but you would need to be together longer for this.

He lived there for 5 years till he was 16, his parents didnt apply for citizenship at the time. x thanks bev x

I would push on with your own plans hon.If you're important to this guy,he will find his own way over!:cute:And if he doesn't?The world is your oyster.It sounds like everything is falling into place nicely,and fab you already have a job to go to as well.Can't help with visa queries,but let him sort that out.He's the man,you've done your hard graft,now let him do his!I hope it all works out for you,life and guy wise,but if you helped this guy,he came over,and the relationship didn't last,you might end up feeling hurt,bitter and twisted!:eek:Nah I'd let him sort all this out hon! PS I do hope this guy turns out to be all you hoped,just thinking more for your future happiness.xx

hahah, thanks melza. x youre right I know, but theres something about this one......im always ten steps ahead, but I can see this may get a bit complicated so just trying to think on my feet. But yes, youre right x thanks x

The most appropriate visa option would be the 300 Prospective Marraige visa. This takes about 8-9 months to organise and you would have to live apart for that long. Once it is granted, you would have to get married within 9 months and apply for a partner visa. This is initially granted as a 2 year temporary visa and then becomes permanent if the relationship is ongoing. You could, though, get married in the UK before you leave and then apply straight for the partner visa. Takes the same time to process as the prospective marriage one and still has a 2 year temporary period.

The most appropriate visa option would be the 300 Prospective Marraige visa. This takes about 8-9 months to organise and you would have to live apart for that long. Once it is granted, you would have to get married within 9 months and apply for a partner visa. This is initially granted as a 2 year temporary visa and then becomes permanent if the relationship is ongoing. You could, though, get married in the UK before you leave and then apply straight for the partner visa. Takes the same time to process as the prospective marriage one and still has a 2 year temporary period.

Do you not think getting married just before she leaves for Oz and then applying for a partner visa when they have only been seeing each other for 5 minutes, would not look a bit suspicious to Immigration?

Do you not think getting married just before she leaves for Oz and then applying for a partner visa when they have only been seeing each other for 5 minutes, would not look a bit suspicious to Immigration?

I agree the Prospective Marriage Visa is the better choice. Either way, the applicant needs statements from friends/family attesting to the genuineness of the relationship. But if the applicants had got married legally, there's nothing DIAC can do about it and they just have to deal with the situation in front of them. You can't unmarry in order to apply for a prospective marriage visa, and the Partner Visa does not stipulate length of courtship. It would all be about making a convincing case in the personal statement. Emigrating is a time for taking stock of one's life and deciding that a friendship should become a marriage is probably not such an unusual thing.

The other option - and it is a long shot - is a Resident Return Visa. The (potential) boyfriend may still have a permanent resident visa - they never expire unless superseded by a new visa. OK, after 20 years away, it's going to be a difficult sell. But, in order to get a one year offshore RRV you must provide evidence that proves you have substantial business, cultural, employment or personal ties of benefit to Australia (fiancee or partner of an Australian permanent resident moving to take up a job) and evidence that there was a compelling reason for your absence (child accompanying parents).

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrants/residents/151/

Hi Bev.

Initial thoughts are that this looks life a subclass 151 Former Resident visa application ... maybe have a freebie chat with my colleague Marina Towner though our Southampton office on 023 80 30 25 25, or send me a PM with your full name and phone number/s.

Best regards.

The 151 requires 9 years' residence as a PR before the age of 18. The OP said in a later post that potential boyfriend only had 5 years. In that case, isn't the one year RRV the only way to reactivate the permanent residence?

The 151 requires 9 years' residence as a PR before the age of 18. The OP said in a later post that potential boyfriend only had 5 years. In that case, isn't the one year RRV the only way to reactivate the permanent residence?

Agreed - if only 5 years in Australia the 151 visa won't be an option.

Although it is a relatively aggressive strategy (because one ought not travel to Australia with the fixed intention of applying for an onshore visa) he might follow Bev to Australia on a tourist visa with a view to them registering the relationship, prior to a partner visa application.

See also: http://www.vincent.wa.gov.au/Services/Relationship_Declaration_Register

Best regards.

Archived