How the UK sees rudds decision.

Perthbum

Shameful.....in a word...shameful.

the day Australia decided to turn its back on the world's most vulnerable people".

On Sunday, protesters turned out in Sydney to condemn the plan, described by Amnesty International as "the day Australia decided to turn its back on the world's most vulnerable people".

Officials in PNG have also voiced concern over the plan, which would see the Manus island detention centre expanded to hold up to 3,000 people.

Former PNG opposition leader Dame Carol Kidu said PNG was a developing country with insufficient services in place.

"We don't have the developed systems like Australia," the Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted her as saying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23371108

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny PB. Most UK people I've spoken to about Australias border protection policies usually say something like "wish we had politicians with some balls". Having a bigger bit of sea around you than the channel would help too and I suppose the French don't really help.

Didn't know you spoke for the whole of the UK btw, think you might be over estimating yourself a bit there.:cool:

Funny PB. Most UK people I've spoken to about Australias border protection policies usually say something like "wish we had politicians with some balls". Having a bigger bit of sea around you than the channel would help too and I suppose the French don't really help.

Didn't know you spoke for the whole of the UK btw, think you might be over estimating yourself a bit there.:cool:

Maybe you just moved in selfish circles.

Guest scrumpy

Well if I was a genuine asylum seeker, where I have had to endure or see horrific things happen to me and my family, it would be an utter relief to end up in PNG, where I was fed watered and kept safe

These comments made me chuckle, especially the one about the cricket,lol

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/19/australian-asylum-seekers_n_3622097.html?utm_hp_ref=uk

'' Forget the cricket, the Aussies have got their priorities spot on!''

'' Can we vote for Rudd in the next election, he can govern us as well, he seems to have his head screwed on about immigration''

Cal x

Well looking at the readers comments on this link (same story different source) it seems a lot of UK folk wish the UK did the same. I like the comments as you get more than the reporters thoughts.

http://news.sky.com/story/1117879/australia-to-deport-asylum-seekers-to-png

Cal x

Same as anything cal....the people who support it are people who attend EDF rallies, these are the ones who are most vocal, I agree the UK has in the past let to any in but this move by Rudd is just wrong, oz cannot push its problems on to a small island.

Same as anything cal....the people who support it are people who attend EDF rallies, these are the ones who are most vocal, I agree the UK has in the past let to any in but this move by Rudd is just wrong, oz cannot push its problems on to a small island.

Listening to ABC radio here you would think everyone was against it, until they get people ringing in and get the true feeling anyway.

Anything to do with asylum seekers ABC will always have someone from Human rights watch, from the Church or one of the many refugee support groups. Never seem to have the other side where someone might actually support it.

It's always interesting when they open the phone lines though.

Guest scrumpy

Another post of the day!! crikey!!!

Classic PB

Edited by scrumpy

Far out i know its a few years since ive been in the UK but 90% of the comments on the 3 different sources ive just read seem to be agreeing with Rudds decision, all those folk surely arent all EDF members, in fact id hazard a good guess are normally everyday working class people.

Cal x

Shameful.....in a word...shameful.

the day Australia decided to turn its back on the world's most vulnerable people".

On Sunday, protesters turned out in Sydney to condemn the plan, described by Amnesty International as "the day Australia decided to turn its back on the world's most vulnerable people".

Officials in PNG have also voiced concern over the plan, which would see the Manus island detention centre expanded to hold up to 3,000 people.

Former PNG opposition leader Dame Carol Kidu said PNG was a developing country with insufficient services in place.

"We don't have the developed systems like Australia," the Australian Broadcasting Corporation quoted her as saying.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23371108

Dont like Rudd , but he's done the right thing. This was bound to happin as the problem getting outta control. Australia can learn from mistakes countries like Britian have made, and get in control of it before its too late. Some of these refugees from Iran and Iraq that are getting here should not even have the chance to be able to reside in Australia. Majority of Australia I would say happily approve of his decision. Lets hope they don't end up here through loopholes though.

People can respond to it whether they support the EDF or not PB. Just because opinion doesn't seem to be swinging the same way as you thought doesn't mean it's wrong. You can have Rudd btw, slimy git.

Oz can do what it likes as it is Oz and it just goes to show that people are now saying they will not get on a boat if they have to go to PNG so why not, if its so bad where they are, I would get on the boat for PNG if I was a desperate person.

It just goes to show they are economic migrants who want to jump the queue.

Sorry I do not feel sorry for these people, I feel sorry for those in camps waiting for years and years for a country to take them, everyone who jumps the queue on a boat takes the place of some other person waiting.

Obviously its all about them and they have the cash for people smugglers wheres these others do not have the cash, just the hope.

Who will make the best citizens, people who wait their turn in my book.

I've just browsed through the comments where the Rudd story is posted and if they are EDF voters then Labour and Conservatives may as well pack in now. EDF will romp it.:cool:

Far out i know its a few years since ive been in the UK but 90% of the comments on the 3 different sources ive just read seem to be agreeing with Rudds decision, all those folk surely arent all EDF members, in fact id hazard a good guess are normally everyday working class people.

Cal x

Selfish world we live in cal....I'm alright jack is the norm, I am sure my grandparents grew up in a nicer more tolerant world.

Guest Ptp113
Selfish world we live in cal....I'm alright jack is the norm, I am sure my grandparents grew up in a nicer more tolerant world.

As an ex Oz PM said "life wasn't meant to be easy".

Guest Guest16631

..........it seems that so many support Rudds decision........

..........in fact what indeed is wrong with PNG......

..........when our own government issues advice such as this......http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Papua_New_Guinea

..........so Rudd has your attention.............

..........but not a solution..........for the vulnerable.........IMO.....

...........it's a world problem........and the world as a whole........should share the responsibility............IMO.............tink x

I am from the UK and most of the people I know think this is a very sensible move. None of them I would add are either EDL supporters or racists.

If you are searching for assylum perhaps maybe you should go to the nearest country for help. Not the one you fancy.

Typical view of a left wing bampot to suggest something like this is in anyway wrong. I only wish something like this had been done in the UK years ago.

I am from the UK and most of the people I know think this is a very sensible move. None of them I would add are either EDL supporters or racists.

If you are searching for assylum perhaps maybe you should go to the nearest country for help. Not the one you fancy.

Typical view of a left wing bampot to suggest something like this is in anyway wrong. I only wish something like this had been done in the UK years ago.

This is just a diversion to attract votes. Everyone knows that the vast majority of illegals here arrived by plane....and will continue to do so.

I think it is a good call by Rudd and should stem the flow of boats coming across the water. I do feel sorry for these people but as Scrumpy said earlier in the thread.. If the genuine ones are victims of atrocities and fear for their lives then PNG will be a relief for them.. I am sure many coming over on the boats are 'economic asylum seekers'.

Could the unthinkable happen and Labour actually win the upcoming election.

It is incredible the turnaround in the polls on Labour since the removal of the toxic Julia Gillard.

Rudd is a huge improvement granted, but I am still inclined to vote for Abbott. He deserves his chance after being such an effective opposition leader for so long.

Abbott will be disappointed that Julia has gone. He certainly won't coast to victory now.