19ft Python Down the Road

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

A 5.7m (19ft) python has been seized after it fell from the ceiling of a charity shop in Australia.

The python, weighing 17kg (37lbs), was recovered by a snake-handler after police investigated a suspected break-in at the shop in Ingham, Queensland.

"Its head was the size of a small dog," said police spokesman Sgt Don Auld.

The snake fell through a ceiling panel, smashing shop goods. Police said it may have got in through the roof, which was damaged by Cyclone Yasi in 2011.

When police were initially called to the property on Monday, they believed a person had fallen through the ceiling because the roof panel had been cut in half.

Crockery, clothes and other goods were scattered all over the floor.

Police were called back to the shop the following day when a large crowd formed outside.

Sgt Auld said the snake must have been hiding when police went there the first time.

It has been released in nearby wetlands.

As soon as I saw the headline on the BBC I thought it was probably Queensland. I remember reading there are lots of pythons in our lofts here and I do hear some strange noises at night. Just hope nothing crashes down through the hatch that goes up there.

Guest The Pom Queen
just your average day in queens hey lol............19ft thats huge i would not have been in a crowd looking at it, i would have been in home doors windows locked till it was removed haaaaa

We get them in the garden heaps I usually send Rob out to move them on. Absolutely beautiful creatures.

I adore Queensland, but that's the reason I could not live there. Too many beauties for me.

When we took the Wrinklies to Cairns, my Mum did not sleep for a week and that was just because she saw a ghecko on the wall and had a baby frog on her pillow in the hotel. I honestly think she would keel over if she saw a snake.

My Beagle loves to run with the dead snakes that she finds down by the lake, she would have a nasty surprise if she came across that "baby".

Guest guest74886

They are beautiful creatures but it is difficult to tell them from the poisonous ones unless they are very big so you have to take care, not very common in the suburbs ofBrisbane tho the common poisonous snakes are.

The constrictors kill by squeezing their prey or simply swallowing it so relatively non threatening.

They are beautiful creatures but it is difficult to tell them from the poisonous ones unless they are very big so you have to take care, not very common in the suburbs ofBrisbane tho the common poisonous snakes are.

The constrictors kill by squeezing their prey or simply swallowing it so relatively non threatening.

Carpet pythons are very common in the suburbs around us (including ours).

Quite easy if you are Australian and grown up with them.

In Florida they are overrun with non native Burmese Pythons causing a real imbalance in the ecosystem. Local Gov declared open season paying people for dead ones brought in.

Most dangerous thing in the Everglades whilst we were there were the idiots with guns!! What were they thinking!!

In Florida they are overrun with non native Burmese Pythons causing a real imbalance in the ecosystem. Local Gov declared open season paying people for dead ones brought in.

Most dangerous thing in the Everglades whilst we were there were the idiots with guns!! What were they thinking!!

I don`t know who`s brilliant idea that was :no:, letting a trigger-happy idiots into a national park on a killing spree. I actually like snakes and I would love to see some in the nature - not in the zoo ( so far I`ve seen a green garden snake and a copperhead at the local park:biggrin:)

Archived