What car?

kylel39

Hello Everyone,

Sorry to hijack the thread a little everyone but I was looking for some advice......on cars at least.

I would say I'm relatively knowledgeable regarding cars; manufacturers, models, common problems etc etc - mind you I'm pretty hopeless mechanically. I've owned a fair few in my short time and had quite a variety including a few 'punchy' numbers. I'll be moving over to Perth in September with my girlfriend and we'll likely share a car, brave man I know....you've not seen her driving yet.

Anyway we'll be looking to purchase a car when we arrive for my work, likely on finance of some sort as there doesn't seem to be too much value to be had in the used car market or even the private market. I'll be hoping to live somewhere that's not too far to commute so won't be looking for anything mega economical or neither anything particularly sporty. My only main criteria is that it looks quite good - which seems to be my expensive downfall.

I like the looks of the following cars, what do people think? Would there be any other recommendations?

Kia Rio SLi

Hyundai i30 Elite/Premium/Trophy

VW Polo

I would say we certainly wouldn't want to finance anything over $20,000, we will probably put down a smallish deposit maybe $4000 depending on how finances go on arrival. We may even end up buying something straight out intially but seems a little riskier. I've bought plenty of cars on Ebay and Gumtree over here but I would probably prefer a dealer of independent with warranty etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Oh and for thread purposes, I'm currently driving a old Suzuki Vitara whilst on the wind down and saving for Australia commences :-)

I have been surprised at how expensive nearly new cars are compared to new cars in Australia. It seems there is little value in the used car market really. For example I have been looking at Mistibushi SUVs and a brand new car is similarly priced to a 2 year old car with 50k on it. I am not sure what way to go with it to be honest. There is obviously some difference, but not massive.

My suggestion to you is to hit the used car websites to see what you can find. I have been looking in Melbourne and likey everywhere there appears to be some good car megastores that offer some good value. The korean car manufacturers definitely seem to be the ones offering the most value, but even then they are expensive compared to what you would pay in the UK!

Not quite the same as when I managed to get a 6 month old 5 series BMW that was over £50k new, with only 4k on the clock for less than £30k a few years ago though! You would have to be some kind of pop star to afford a BMW in Australia!

Have been looking for a while myself.

My father-in-law lives in perth and said that it can be difficult to get parts for some European cars.

We're in the situation where we'll have to buy a cheap old car at first. Part of me kinda want to get a Falcon or Commodore but I think I'll follow the golden rule...

If you haven't got much money, buy Japanese.

The best things in life aren't things.

Have been looking for a while myself.

My father-in-law lives in perth and said that it can be difficult to get parts for some European cars.

If you haven't got much money, buy Japanese.

Correct about European cars, and some feel they don't deal too well with the climate. We have two Hyundais and are very happy with them, one an i30 - I recommend that.

Cars can be expensive here, but don't have to be. Gumtree is a great source, and with a large migrant workforce here, there are frequent urgent sales as people move abroad. I have allways brought used cars (my UK limit was 2K) and don't mind mechanical work which helps.

Typically as people say, cars don't depreciate like the UK, Australia is still a small market, so there isnt the choice as in the UK/Europe. Also with no rust, cars don't die, 300K kilometers isnt uncommon mileage for a used vehicle.

Small cars also tend to hold their value, as they are cheaper to run, but in my mind don't last as well as larger cars over long distance.

Falcons and Commodores, are traditional aussie cars, they are build for the roads and last well. We went from Perth to Hymen a couple of months ago, it was a 700 kilometer round trip in a day and our Falcon just ate the distance up, soft suspension for those less than good roads, and plenty of space. its already got 240K on the clock but doesnt leak oil, runs great and lookks good, all for $2400.

With prices high in WA, i couldnt justify spending loads on a car, and glad I didnt. I drive a Volvo 240 (400K on the clock, $2K and still looks / drives great) and my wife the Falcon. Yes we pay more in petrol, but saved big time on the purchase costs. Oh yes I also have a Mazda ute brought for $800, but that did need some work. The other two have been 100% reliable and apart from routine servicing they havent cost anything extra.

Finally not sure on your circumstances, but getting finance as soon as you arrive in Aus may be difficult. Don't know on that one, because apart from a mortgage we havent taken out any loans.

Nick

My only main criteria is that it looks quite good - which seems to be my expensive downfall.

"Looks quite good" is very subjective.

I'd look at Mazda 3 or 2

Toyota Corolla (new model looks good) IMHO

Honda Civic

Ford Focus

I'd steer clear of VW Polo at the moment. There's been a lot of publicity here about them stopping dead on the road - particularly after the coroner's report into the death of a driver when this happened - and there's been a massive recall. Even if the problem is fixed, it may adversely affect the resale value for you further down the track.

Kia Rio SLi

Hyundai i30 Elite/Premium/Trophy

VW Polo

Wouldn't got for any of those personally. But then I have a massive hatred of cookie cutter FWD hatchbacks.

Your best bet is not to bother looking till you are here. Once you land, get a hire car for a few days, and then drive to places like Vic Park and have a look at what's on offer.

If you start at the north end of Albany Highway it's the new cars, and as you head south the cars get cheaper.

Finance you'll be looking at about 10% APR (as you'll not have anything to finance against). So that's $20k, 5 years, $100 a week (all approx.)

I'd be more tempted to jump into an old C-class Merc. Something Like a W202 (the 203, 204 had worse reliability in Europe).

Second hand cars don't have to be expensive. You would pick up a ford or holden V6 pretty cheaply. They are pretty reliable cars, taxi drivers here drive the fords all the time and it's not unusual for them to do a couple of hundred thousand and still be going OK. Parts are cheap as they're local models too.

Personally I would be looking at a 4 wheel drive. We have a Nissan X-Trail, had it from new and it's been the best car I've ever had and I've had a few. We have a couple of kids though. It's great for chucking things in though, we can get a couple of bikes in the back if we are taking them anywhere for a ride without having to put on bike carriers. It's great for going away at weekends and has a lot of room. You can take it off road if need be. A lot of people like the off road 4 wheel driving so it's an option.

Thanks everyone for your input, greatly appreciated.

I quite like the Hyundai i30 and the Korean (I think) cars as they seem to be on the up and good value in comparison to their competitors. But as before I'm open to any suggestions. I think I'll be trying to avoid European cars as someone pointed out getting parts could prove tricky - plus VW are expensive to buy and that's probably the only one I'd consider.

In terms of cars I've had in the past I suppose you could say I've primarily went with German cars. I'm only 23 but have probably owned 10/11 cars in my time....no I've never crashed any of them, although remarkably my Dad has wrote off two of my cars. I went through a bit of phase of chopping and changing them, I quite liked buying and selling on gumtree etc making small profits occasionally.

I've owned;

Seat Ibiza Cupra TDI

Seat Leon Cupra TDI

Clio 182

Fabia vRS

Golf Mk 4

Alfa Romeo 147

Seat Ibiza

Mitsubishi Pinin

Suzuki Vitara

Fiat Sciento Abarth

BMW 318

Think that's maybe it. Anyway my favourite out the lot was my Fabia vRS, great car and would love one of the newer ones.

Someone made the point regarding finance and if I would even get it, they might be right!? I'll be coming on a 457 visa (hopefully) and should be working within a week or 2 - been offered a job. Is it likely I would get finance if required!?

I may end up going down the route of buying a cheap used car for maybe sub $5000, is there any particular recommendations for a smaller car!? Can't really see the girlfriend driving around in an old Merc or Falcon etc she'd probably hate it - she's used to a wee 107.

Honda seem expensive, Mazda's seem reasonably priced and I quite like the 2 and 2.

That's a varied car history.

Cheap small cars under $5k that are reliable and safe...

Toyota Echo (Yaris).

Hyundai Getz.

Neither of them are particularly fun though.

The best things in life aren't things.

Someone made the point regarding finance and if I would even get it, they might be right!? I'll be coming on a 457 visa (hopefully) and should be working within a week or 2 - been offered a job. Is it likely I would get finance if required!?

I had to show two months of invoices/pay cheques before they even would consider it. And paid a 10% deposit.

Can't really see the girlfriend driving around in an old Merc or Falcon etc she'd probably hate it - she's used to a wee 107.

The wife thought the same and wanted an Echo/Yaris for pottering about in. We bought a Hilux instead.

Big cars are not an issue here. Car parking bays are big, roads are big. Think big, comfy and auto.

Interesting to read, I will be looking for a cheap run around when we get out there maybe around $5k. I used to have yaris, 206 etc before the kids but now drive a BMW 5 series estate so not sure how ill feel to go back to small so how do the big ones do on fuel as mines diesel at the mo so great. My husband is getting a company car which I think will be along the lines of hilux so not like we need another big one but I'm so used to throwing the pram, shopping etc in easily! We had considered bringing it but not sure it's worth the hassle.

Archived