advice please

nikkiandscott

My My possible employer is in nsw just wanted some advice on what its like to live in nsw

Your response is very concerning, like you think NSW is similar to Hertfordshire or any county in the UK. I drove for 9 hours due north from Sydney up the coastline and still hadn't even left the state, NSW is not the biggest state in Australia, but it is still enormous. The places you mention are a long way from Sydney, they are remote and culture shock is a distinct possibility.

Regional Australia is nothing like countryside in UK. It is hard for us from UK to really get an idea of the scale and remoteness of some parts of Australia, I always think it needs an interim step, that is a move to a metro area first and visits to some of the regional areas to really get a feel for it. I would think hard about this move.

I dont think nsw is like Hertfordshire or any other country side in the uk I realise how big nsw is all I was asking what its like to life there its nice to get an idea from people that live in nsw

Well you see you have done it again. "What is it like to live in NSW?" The question just does not make sense because of the sheer size of it. I live in NSW but I live 20km from Sydney and my experience would be nothing like the experience of living in the places you mention. It would be like another planet practically.

Well you see you have done it again. "What is it like to live in NSW?" The question just does not make sense because of the sheer size of it. I live in NSW but I live 20km from Sydney and my experience would be nothing like the experience of living in the places you mention. It would be like another planet practically.

The OP has already stated where in NSW she is interested in. Your reply is not helpful and has a rather superior tone which is rather demeaning. Bobj has already given some help. If you don't know anything about the areas mentioned simply don't reply. No wonder people get put off asking for help.

The OP has already stated where in NSW she is interested in. Your reply is not helpful and has a rather superior tone which is rather demeaning. Bobj has already given some help. If you don't know anything about the areas mentioned simply don't reply. No wonder people get put off asking for help.

Well that shows you have just missed the point, which is that you cannot talk about "NSW" as a whole, which OP continues to do. If you don't understand the point being made, then perhaps think about following your own advice? As for me, well I will respond to any thread I like.

I thought this site was to help people even if the question asked seems pointless to you ok its all new to me and the area's so I just wanted to get a little information on the places I put in my question now if that's a problem then I suggest you dont comment anymore as by the looks of things you just want to moan about the question

Many thanks

Scott

Guest Ptp113
Well that shows you have just missed the point, which is that you cannot talk about "NSW" as a whole, which OP continues to do. If you don't understand the point being made, then perhaps think about following your own advice? As for me, well I will respond to any thread I like.

We have had our 'moments' but I have to back you 110% on this one. Most poms just can't get their heads around the size and diversity of one state, let alone the whole country.

I dont think nsw is like Hertfordshire or any other country side in the uk I realise how big nsw is all I was asking what its like to life there its nice to get an idea from people that live in nsw

Parkes is a reasonably 'comfortable' town, most of the amenities, and services that would satisfy day-to-day living. But one has to wonder what your lifestyle is; do you 'do' theatre, restaurants, shows etc, or do you like a simple, quiet life and want to be part of a fairly isolated community? Both Parkes and Forbes miss out on the theatres etc, but are big on community spirit.

All the best to you, mate.

Cheers, Bobj.

Cheers bobj thats the sort of answers im looking dont reqlly do the restaurants shows etc like the quiet life but not to quiet if we want stuff like going out for dinner etc we would travel and do it over a weekend my son and wife have a gluten intolerance so I have to make sure it caters for them to but ive heard its fairly well known in all parts of Australia

Cheers scott

I think you have missed the point. Please read post 6 , in which the OP states the area of interest. Do you really need her/him to repeat it in each post?

I think you have missed the point. Please read post 6 , in which the OP states the area of interest. Do you really need her/him to repeat it in each post? I thought moderators were supposed to be welcoming and helpful.

Having seen both points, Rupert was expressing the general opinion that a very great percentage of people who make their first move to an outback area don't know the vastness of the place and that of the OP, whose post clearly stated the area they are interested in.

Actually, the Parkes/Forbes area is one of the better outback areas in that there are several thriving communities in a strictly farming area.

Hope that clears the air a bit.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen
Having seen both points, Rupert was expressing the general opinion that a very great percentage of people who make their first move to an outback area don't know the vastness of the place and that of the OP, whose post clearly stated the area they are interested in.

Actually, the Parkes/Forbes area is one of the better outback areas in that there are several thriving communities in a strictly farming area.

Hope that clears the air a bit.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

Have to agree with both BobJ and Rupert. I love the outback and could easily live there but a lot of people struggle because of how remote it really is.

I love Parkes/Forbes also look at Dubbo if it's a possibility. This link may help with distances and other towns in that area http://www.newellhighway.org.au/time_distance_calculator.php

PLEASE NOTE: As admin I am also entitled to an opinion just like any of my moderators are. We are still members just like you.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and ive not got a problem with that but if I ask a question no matter how stupid it sounds just a normal answer would be nice not a sarcastic one everyone at some point was new to things like this and I bet everyone had a silly question to ask

Many thanks

Scott

I think in general you could think of Aus being very city, or very rural. Most places are either very much one or the other. As a rule, and this is very general as I feel you are possibly just trying to grasp a very different concept of place, think of the major cities as being kind of like a major city in the UK. But unlike the UK rural reaches a whole new level here. The suburbs can be sprawling, so even if you're in a commutable suburb to the CBD you will need a car for sure. What isn't in abundance are things like corner shops etc. If somewhere you are looking at says it's regional then you canbe assured it will be quiet, spread out, and possibly quite isolated from a larger city. To put it into any kind of context, rural/ regional could be kind of like Truro in Cornwall UK. But increase the driving distances to anywhere. Is this the kind of thing you want to know? not sure if I'm being at all helpful or not.

Guest The Pom Queen
Everyone is entitled to an opinion and ive not got a problem with that but if I ask a question no matter how stupid it sounds just a normal answer would be nice not a sarcastic one everyone at some point was new to things like this and I bet everyone had a silly question to ask

Many thanks

Scott

Well thankfully you didn't receive any sarcastic ones. :wink:

Did you look at Dubbo? Is it a possibility?

Have you looked at the towns you are considering on the street view of google earth? I think it the next best thing to walking down the street yourself.

Of the places you have mentioned I would pick Parkes. I have friends who live on a property near there so visit the area now and then. It's not the type of place that has entertainment though (well not much anyway) you need to be able to make your own fun and join in with what's happening in the community. However the locals are lovely and very friendly to anyone willing to roll their sleeves up and have a go at things.

There are food establishments called 'restaurants' there but they aren't exactly fine dinning. Think more pub/club or cafe than restaurant per se.

It is roughly a three and a half hour drive from Parkes to Canberra and roughly four to five hours drive to Sydney. Our friends drive to Canberra and Sydney for weekends away and shopping binges.

Night driving outside the town itself can be a bit of a worry if you aren't used to dodging Kangaroos etc (they are crazy and have a death wish). If you will need to drive outside the town at night you should have your car fitted with a bulbar and get really good driving lights put on.

If you want to live somewhere that is like the 'English countryside' don't even consider moving to that area. On the other hand if you want to see and experience part of the real Aust and are up for a new experience it might be just the ticket.

Archived