OK for kids to have a cuppa

simmo

My kids only had fizzy drinks for special occasions,and still don't drink them (they're adults now)We offered hot drink alternatives,like Caro,hot choc (not the surgary ones)and the occasional tea alternative (caffeine free).We lived(and still do)an alternative lifestyle,so stayed clear of anything mainstream.

Thats not alternative! Just sensible! I must be very alternative then, my sons favourites are milk and water

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I dont see the problem with fizzy drinks either to be honest. I buy the flavoured mineral water stuff and the odd bottle of diet coke for the weekend. Not an everyday drink of choice but fine occasionally surely.

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD=class: EmailMainByteContent]

Soft drink – it seems harmless enough when compared to illicit drugs, but new research suggests the fizzy concoctions may do just as much damage to your teeth as methamphetamine and crack cocaine use.

In a case study published in the American journal General Dentistry, Dr Mohamed Bassiouny compared the dental damage of a meth addict, a previous cocaine user and a woman who consumed 2 litres of diet soft drink each day for three to five years.

He found “striking similarities” between the state of each participant’s mouth. “Each person experienced severe tooth erosion caused by the high acid levels present in their ‘drug’ of choice,” said Dr Bassiouny.

Tooth erosion occurs when acid wears away the enamel on teeth, making them more susceptible to cavities, sensitivity, discolouration and cracking.

While Dr Bassiouny said the findings should act as a wake-up call to soft drink lovers, the Australian Beverages Council, which represents the carbonated drinks industry, has questioned the credibility of the results.

“The [soft drink consumer] referenced in the [study] did not receive any dental health services for more than 20 years, or two thirds of her life,” says Geoff Parker, Chief Executive Officer of the Beverages Council. “Any suggestion that consuming soft drink, diet or otherwise, as being a unique factor in poor dental health and compare it to that from illicit drug use is irresponsible.”

He adds: “The existing body of evidence and available science doesn’t support beverages being a unique factor in causing tooth decay or erosion.”

However, Australian-based dentist Dr Peter Alldritt says that while the results are shocking, they are also convincing. “I’m not surprised by the findings. Having worked as a dentist for over 21 years, I’ve seen a lot of teeth destroyed by soft drinks.”

Dr Alldritt, who is chair of the Australian Dental Association Oral Health Committee, says that by drinking both regular and diet soft drinks, “you’re basically dissolving the tooth away in an acid bath”.

In fact, laboratory tests conducted in 2007 by Dr John Ruby from the University of Alabama, Birmingham School of Dentistry, determined the acidity, or pH, of various drinks. Acidity is measured on a scale of 0 (most acidic) to 14 (least acidic). While water has a pH of 7 (neutral), the diet and regular soft drinks tested ranged from 4 to 2.4. Battery acid has a pH of 1.

In addition to their acidity, Dr Alldritt says some soft drinks contain two other ingredients that contribute to poor dental health: sugar and caffeine.

A 600ml bottle of regular soft drink can contain the equivalent of 16 packets of sugar, which, according to Dr Alldritt, can contribute to tooth decay.

As for caffeine, which is found in some soft drinks and energy drinks, Dr Alldritt says dehydration is the biggest problem. Caffeine dries out the mouth so there is “less saliva to neutralise the acid”, he says.

How to care for your pearly whites

When it comes to your drink of choice, the Australian Beverages Council “supports [the consumption of] all beverages ... in moderation, as part of a balanced diet supported by a healthy and physically active lifestyle”, according to Mr Parker.

However, Dr Alldritt has a different opinion: “Ideally, you’d like to think we could eliminate soft drinks from the diet because they don’t have any nutritional value.”

“The less of them you drink, the safer it’s going to be for your teeth, not to mention your calorie intake,” he says.

But he does acknowledge that it’s unlikely the soft drink industry will go out of business anytime soon, in which case, he offers the following tips to soft drink lovers to minimise dental damage:

• “Try to balance soft drink consumption with water.”

• “Rinse your mouth out with water after consuming soft drink to get rid of much sugar as possible.”

• “Chew sugar-free gum to stimulate the production of saliva.”

• “Never brush your teeth [immediately] after drinking something acidic.” Soft drink softens the tooth enamel making teeth susceptible to damage from brushing. Instead, “wait around 60 minutes – that gives time for saliva to neutralise the acid and pump minerals, such as calcium, back into the teeth.”

• “Don’t swish soft drink around in your mouth or hold it.” Rather, drink through a straw to minimise contact with teeth.

• Choose your drinks wisely. If you can’t live without carbonated beverages, try switching to soda or mineral water, which don’t contain high levels of acid. “The fizziness [in these drinks] comes from carbon dioxide ... they are slightly more acidic than tap water but they are safe.”

Whether you’re a fan of soft drink or not, Dr Alldritt says it’s important to adopt the following habits for general dental health:

• Ensure you have a healthy, balanced diet low in sugary and acidic foods.

• Practice excellent oral hygiene – brush twice daily with fluoride toothpaste and floss once a day.

• Visit your dentist regularly for a check-up.

• Don’t smoke.

Copyright HealthLogix 2013

totopblack.jpg

[TABLE=class: EmailSiteMapOutline]

[TR]

[TD=class: EmailSiteMapCell, colspan: 2, align: center] ON THE PORTAL TODAY!

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: EmailMainByteContent]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Mens Health

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Diabetes and men's sexual health

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Women's Health

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]Your periods - an early warning of bone loss?

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Childrens Health

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]Exercise for your teenager

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Pregnancy Centre

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]First signs of pregnancy

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Fitness & Exercise

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]Skipping a session

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Nutrition

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]Fuss free guide to eating gluten-free

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Asthma Centre

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]Coping with colds and flu when you have asthma

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Depression Centre

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Diabetes Centre

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]Diabetes and your child – the emotional aspect

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1]Coronary Heart Disease centre

[/TD]

[TD=class: SiteMapLevel_1, width: 60%]The facts on fish

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]

totopblack.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: EmailGreetingCell, width: 1%, align: center]

sst_47490094_woman_soda_soft_drink.jpg

HowHealthyAreYou.jpg

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3]ResourcesHeading.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]1x1.gif

[/TD]

[TD]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]June - Happiness

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=align: right]1x1.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3]SmallBottom.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=align: center]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3]TellMeMore.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]1x1.gif

[/TD]

[TD]

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]

IN FOCUS

How's your heart? Many women don't know Learn more

ShortDotLine.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=align: left]

ON THE PORTAL

For winter-warming recipes, check out the Cooks' Corner.

ShortDotLine.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=width: 1, bgcolor: #CFCFCF, align: right]1x1.gif

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 3]SmallBottom.jpg

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

bowel_cancer_awareness_HB_tile.jpg[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Guest Geordee

All my 4 aged from 2-9 like "baby tea"- few dips of the teabag and lots of milk. My 5 yr old likes it every morning!

Eldest (aged 7) has weak tea very occasionally, and now we have a fancy coffee machine for us, she has hot chocolate sometimes (the coffee machine does frothy milk). They have had the occasional sip of my herbal tea, which I wouldn't mind them drinking (chai and calming tea - from the Byron Bay Tea Company). Other than that, my two only drink water and milk. I don't give them squash, I don't give them anything fizzy, and they don't have fruit juice either. All too full of sugar or artificial sweetener.

2 litres a day though Nick! Slightly excessive!

people do it though ,especially during the 9 glorious hot months we have ...........my children don't have apart from one who has to have it when she is low (type 1 diabetes ) but only a small tin of sprite...........I had pizza delivered last night and part of the deal was a 2ltr fizzy coke drink , I normally use it for cleaning the toilet overnight..........

When I was a youngster, all the kids in my family were given weak, milky tea with a bit of sugar in it from as young as they wanted to ask for it. That was just the norm.

It's an easier choice for me with my young'un. On doctor's orders I drink decaff so that means our 8 year old does too.

My son has cola at the weekend, diet and probably has about 1 ltr in total maybe more if he has a maccas (fortnightly treat). He doesnt like chocolaye but does eat biscuits, not many lollies, maybe one a week. His teeth are perfect. You should also limit pure juices as they are very acidic, milk and water are best as kind to teeth. Cordial is not popular in our house either, I buy it but it stays mostly untouched. When kids come over to play they often look at me like Im mad when I offer then milk or water to drink...s

My son has cola at the weekend, diet and probably has about 1 ltr in total maybe more if he has a maccas (fortnightly treat). He doesnt like chocolaye but does eat biscuits, not many lollies, maybe one a week. His teeth are perfect. You should also limit pure juices as they are very acidic, milk and water are best as kind to teeth. Cordial is not popular in our house either, I buy it but it stays mostly untouched. When kids come over to play they often look at me like Im mad when I offer then milk or water to drink...s

I dropped the cordial/squash when dd1 was diagnosed with Aspergers. I know that the squash isn't the cause, but I did notice that her behaviour/meltdowns got better when we stopped that. Although we did stop eating things like margarine and a few other things at the same time. Most of my friends/their children have dropped squash, but most of them look at me funny when I say we don't eat marg but will eat butter.

Guest Ptp113
I dropped the cordial/squash when dd1 was diagnosed with Aspergers. I know that the squash isn't the cause, but I did notice that her behaviour/meltdowns got better when we stopped that. Although we did stop eating things like margarine and a few other things at the same time. Most of my friends/their children have dropped squash, but most of them look at me funny when I say we don't eat marg but will eat butter.

Marg is devils 'food'. Not fit for human consumption tbh

Butter always wins over marg....Paul says he can't taste the difference :eek: nor the difference in taste between fresh and frozen veg lol think i just have stronger taste buds than him! As a kid I drank coke and tea every day, my teeth are ok luckily, but since I was 16 I made a conscious effort to drink 2 litres of water a day and less tea and coke and i'm still sticking to it! I still drink tea and coke but not every day.

Guest Ptp113
Butter always wins over marg....Paul says he can't taste the difference :eek: nor the difference in taste between fresh and frozen veg lol think i just have stronger taste buds than him! As a kid I drank coke and tea every day, my teeth are ok luckily, but since I was 16 I made a conscious effort to drink 2 litres of water a day and less tea and coke and i'm still sticking to it! I still drink tea and coke but not every day.

Does he smoke?

Im sorry simmo , I should really have opened my own thread about Fizzy Drinks(as I feel so strongly against) , just so busy trying to make a chili on crutches isn't fun.........trying to multi task in pio and kitchen not really working ......

Marg is devils 'food'. Not fit for human consumption tbh

I 100% agree. Yet people think I am awful for giving my children butter. The way I look at it is that 60%+ of the weight of the brain is saturated fat/cholesterol, not to mention the myelin sheaths around nerve cells and cell membranes, hormones, vitamins etc that are made from cholesterol. I would rather my children have a natural substance from which their bodies are made, than a substance that has to be chemically extracted with solvents, bleached, deodorised and hydrogenated in order to be 'fit' for consumption.

Thats not alternative! Just sensible! I must be very alternative then, my sons favourites are milk and water

No probably not alternative today,they were 20 yrs ago!Back then I was wearing long cheesecloth dresses,barefeet and a headband!

If you're anti fizzy drink you should ban all sugar and sweetened foods too. What about hidden sugar in stuff like beans, yoghurts, dessets from the chilled aisle, flavoured milks, processed carbs ie white bread products, sauces, all sorts not just biscuits, choc and cake.

Butter is a natural product unlike margarine. Everything in moderation agreed, including butter. I prefer to make my own cakes and biscuits, controlled sugar, no colours or preservatives and sneak some fruit or veg in too.

If you're anti fizzy drink you should ban all sugar and sweetened foods too. What about hidden sugar in stuff like beans, yoghurts, dessets from the chilled aisle, flavoured milks, processed carbs ie white bread products, sauces, all sorts not just biscuits, choc and cake.

Butter is a natural product unlike margarine. Everything in moderation agreed, including butter. I prefer to make my own cakes and biscuits, controlled sugar, no colours or preservatives and sneak some fruit or veg in too.

if I could I would , but that will never happen , I feel in a country like this where drinks are a must for children they should be well educated ,coke ect is an easy option , I would also ban energy drink such as mother ect (you should know the dangers of these in your occupation ) they are a growing concern for the medics , so many young people are suffering heart attack through these drinks .......http://www.energyfiend.com/energy-drink-side-effects please let your young ones read this , I see so many idiots having an energy drink for breakfast ,then carry on drinking them all day .......I could go on but im multitasking

Guest Ptp113
I 100% agree. Yet people think I am awful for giving my children butter. The way I look at it is that 60%+ of the weight of the brain is saturated fat/cholesterol, not to mention the myelin sheaths around nerve cells and cell membranes, hormones, vitamins etc that are made from cholesterol. I would rather my children have a natural substance from which their bodies are made, than a substance that has to be chemically extracted with solvents, bleached, deodorised and hydrogenated in order to be 'fit' for consumption.

Disgusting stuff. Organic unsalted butter just can't be beat imho.

Guest Ptp113
It is actually pretty easy to make your own too. Particularly if you have a food processor.

Hmm. Wife has a Magimix 5100, would that do?

Funny this thread should turn onto butter vs. margarine.

For my own reasons, I use an olive oil based spread. My wife demands her salted butter and we've always used Woolworths own brand stuff from the point of view that there can't be much difference.

Just a couple of days ago, I happened to get some of Caer's butter on my finger so I ate it off. It was disgusting. The flavour was like pure salt added to a base of engine grease--none of the creaminess I associate with butter at all.

For the sake of comparison, I at the same amount of my olive oil spread and it was fine--not overly salty, pleasant background taste (you could tell it had olive oil but it wasn't over powering) and basically quite acceptable.

But that Home Brand butter...shudder. Have a taste before you buy any more.

Archived