Broome

ali

An amazing place, idyllic, I have fond memories of warm blue sea, white sandy beach.... the beach camel ride at sunset is really worth it. There is also a bar, can't recall name, that looks right over the beach. A meal and drinks there would be a nice way to spend the evening.

I have travelled the whole of Aus, the sunset at cable beach rates in the top three.

You might even be 'lucky' enought to see 'shell guy', the local, very old, nudist who regularly likes to walk along the shallows in only a hat, collecting shells!!

Depending on how much you want to spend the Cable Beach Club Resort and Spa is good. I haven't stayed there myself but my brother and his wife have stayed there a few times and really like it.

They stay in a villa because they like having their own plunge pool. They also like the resort because there are adult only sections if you don't want to be around other people's little darlings.

I was talking to someone last week who had just got back, 31d now so think about the temp in May. They stayed at cable beach resort said it was the lap of luxury and they always stay there, Id go there if we had a few extra $$. You have to fly though I think, the car journey may take a few hours...

May is LOVELY weather in Broome - we were there last year (this year was a bit of a washout from what I gather, been a bit odd the weather everywhere this year I think) and it was heaven. So SO SO miss Broome. Would LOVE to live there. Definately try and get there for stairway to the moon time (full moon), even if its not the same time as your b'day - very lovely sight indeed and not really something you can appreciate from a photo of it, you have to see it in person :)

Sorry, rapture over. Will second the Cable Beach Club, it looked lovely (we stayed in one of the caravan parks, as we had Buschi then) but that was pretty fab, it was *right on* the beach, but the other beach, not Cable Beach (pros - better for the stairway to the moon, cons, not as good for sunsets).

Matsos is lovely to go to for a relaxed dinner as well - super yum food, triple super yum beer.

Oh, I'm so jealous. Its my b'day in May too, can I come and carry your bags please??!!!?? :D

Broom - Just got to love that place! It's been 10 years now since our backpacking WHV but this part of Australia was just amazing! Very fond memories! We were there June time, it was hot but not unbearable. A friend (that we were travelling with at the time) of ours parents came over to visit and they stayed in the Cable Beach Resort and absolutely raved about it, like i say, it was 10 years ago! Definitely look up staircase to the moon, it was pretty special and worth going to see if it coincides with you trip.

Look forward to going back there one day myself! ENJOY! x

It's my husbands favourite place in the world (he's lived all over the place!) and I know we'll be spending a lot more time there once all our kids have left home. He'll probably be working with the Aboriginal communities again.

Cabel Beach Resort is lovely. The whole area is beautiful and driving on the red dirt roads is fun. The stairway to the moon is definitely worth seeing - take a picnic. If they're around, go to the Pearl Luggers and see the Pigram Brothers play and go to the jetty for fish and chips.

Last time we were there we were browsing in one of the pearl shops and the shop assistant had an accent I recognised. Turned out she was brought up just up the lane from me and our parents knew each other - very surreal experience!

Enjoy it. I can't wait to go back!

Have a look to see if there's a race meeting on too, if that's your thing. Another quite strange experience. Amongst all the shorts, thongs and laid back vibe there are women dressed up to the nines in dresses and heels. It's a fun afternoon.

Aah, Broome, the 'Pearl Of Western Australia'

It had buggarall in 1964, the old jetty where the state ships would berth and one could walk around them when the tide went out (11 metre tides). Cable beach where the locals would mark out a golf course as the tide receded. 'Missy Kim's' "restaurant" where you got funny answers...eg...Pekin Duck please, Missy Kim and the reply...No got Pekin Duck, got fly lice.

The "Conti" pub a truly wonderful 'colonial style' hotel.

The courthouse. The story being that the kit form for the courthouse was ordered and was to be sent to Pretoria, South Africa for the gold and diamond area. Pretoria, being in Kimberley Province, the shipping authority only knew of Kimberley, Western Australia...and sent it to Broome.

Cheers, Bobj.

The dunes above Cable Beach where we used to camp...among other things with the Broome and Derby nurses...

Camping on the foreshore in front of the old jetty:yes:

NO stupid camels crapping along the beach.:arghh:

But that was 50 years ago and I believe it has changed for the worse.:sad:

Cheers, Bobj.

Aah, Broome, the 'Pearl Of Western Australia'

It had buggarall in 1964, the old jetty where the state ships would berth and one could walk around them when the tide went out (11 metre tides). Cable beach where the locals would mark out a golf course as the tide receded. 'Missy Kim's' "restaurant" where you got funny answers...eg...Pekin Duck please, Missy Kim and the reply...No got Pekin Duck, got fly lice.

The "Conti" pub a truly wonderful 'colonial style' hotel.

The courthouse. The story being that the kit form for the courthouse was ordered and was to be sent to Pretoria, South Africa for the gold and diamond area. Pretoria, being in Kimberley Province, the shipping authority only knew of Kimberley, Western Australia...and sent it to Broome.

Cheers, Bobj.

The dunes above Cable Beach where we used to camp...among other things with the Broome and Derby nurses...

Camping on the foreshore in front of the old jetty:yes:

NO stupid camels crapping along the beach.:arghh:

But that was 50 years ago and I believe it has changed for the worse.:sad:

Cheers, Bobj.

Bob, you need to write that book mate.

Archived