Been back a few days....

Kel1

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a weird time it is! After an incredibly long journey we landed back in England, and it was pretty underwhelming.

The drive from Heathrow was pretty depressing, I didn't really feel that happy to be back... despite really looking forward to it!

Obviously the drive from any airport isn't that exciting but it just felt flat and grey.

Had a few nice days with family, but there has been little sun, literally blanket cloud which is a bit sad. We felt the sun in Melbourne was so strong and it often stopped us doing walks,hikes, going out in summer - so we were looking forward to a milder climate. But after several years in Aus i think maybe we got a case of the rose tinted?! Anyone else felt a bit in shock when they moved back??

It has been nice to see the green grass, lovely country villages and everyone has been honestly really friendly. Barclays were quick and efficient, shop keepers have been lovely, etc etc. But... i dont know if it just me but there is a definite sort of slowness. It's hard to explain, maybe because we are in a small town in middle England, but it seems like nothing is going on. Not many independent coffee shops, vintage stores, quirky stuff. Just lots of chain type places and the feeling of Costa, Starbucks etc etc. Maybe we were spoilt in Melbourne??

We are not sure where to base ourselves. We don't want to live in eachother's 'home towns'. Not sure where to live. Bit confused...

We gave up good jobs and a fairly 'easy' life for something we are not sure exists here. But we do like it, we just keep comparing. Maybe we want a bit of everything and can't have it. We wanted to see our families more but realistically, how much do we want to? We don't want to live toooo close and be in their pockets. Our friends are spread all over the uk, so there is no 'hub' - we need to create one, but where? Melbourne was so new and we had no ties that we felt we could do anything and be anything. Here we feel different but can't put our finger on it.

Anyone experienced difficulties moving back and why?

Cheers!

You can't in all truth compare Melbourne with a small town in Middle England. Perhaps you should consider somewhere bigger with more going on? Stratford or something akin may do the trick. The same move in reverse from a large British city to a small Victorian village would likely bring similar feelings of frustration.

I know comparing is terrible but i suppose it can't be helped. We are in East Anglia atm and it has been grey almost everyday, a hint of sun here and there but if you blink you miss it. Now i hated the oppressive sun in Melbourne when it was hot, but honestly, i think the grey has just shocked me as it hasn't relented and this is summer!

I am jet lagged a touch and need to get out there! It's hard feeling a bit lost in somewhere you thought was 'home'. I suppose home is where u make it.

i hope i don't become a ping ponger!x

i know the sun is strong in oz but its not so bad in Melbourne - 6 months of the year you really don't need sunscreen and it's beautiful. but i think the shock of realising it will only be 20 degrees + on a decent day for 4 months of the year, and most of the year its gonna be 5-15 degrees at best, might be enough to send you back to oz! As i got older i couldnt cope with the gloom and coolness of the uk and am glad to have left that behind to be honest.

How can you say it is cloudy? Are you watching the tennis...the last few weeks have been really sunny and warm...it really gets me when people bang on about it raining and cloudy when they know it is not.....look at Wimbledon today and when it started...there's the truth folks....warm and very sunny.

What was your area like today? I drove past and would be interested to see if I saw it the same way as you did. I was there just after midday.

Edited by wakeboard1980

Guest The Ropey HOFF
What was your area like today? I drove brought and would be interested to see if I saw it the same way as you did. I was there just after midday.

It was scorching hot, 30 degrees plus, like always, lol

why did you leave if you were so happy, missing family i thing is just an excuse as your family would tell you to stay put as the uk is so crap.

Unfortunately it was out of our hands, on a 457, work finished tried to find work in Australia, no joy, time running out with 2 good offers here in the UK. We still have a house here and a few loose ends to tie up, but I really can't see us staying.

Oh to all who were wondering why we moved back..

well we have asked ourselves this again just today.

It wasn't simply 'family'... we definitely missed family, although we were never the type that lived with our families in our hometowns, we had lived away in Manchester for many years. We thought we missed the UK for what is is - the green, the culture, humour, etc etc.

We also wanted our own home and Melbourne was out of the question for us 457 visa holders, as well as financially.

Also, the route to PR was long and meant a commitment to an employer that my bf didn't like. So we decided not to stay and fight and just come back.

We have set up our own online PR business, and have some aussie clients as well as overseas ones too, so decisions were not based on jobs. We have now the opportunity to set up our business properly and commit 100% to it as we are not working 9-5 anymore.

The only thing is, we travelled once we left melbourne across Australia for a few months and we had ups and downs but mostly it was fun, exciting!

Now we feel flat.

Also, despite being in the south of England it is very grey, blanket cloud. I was over the sun in melbourne but didn't think about how the lack of blue sky would effect me.

I feel quite sad and not sure why exactly... we felt like something was missing in Melbourne too. Now we feel we miss the 'buzz' of Melbourne and many parts of Australia, it feels like there is more going on, but is my view skewed because we are in a small town and not a buzzing city. But then not sure we could handle London as it is very expensive which is not ideal for us as we need to watch our money due to us starting our business, and we have lived in Manchester already and don't want to do that again.

We feel pretty lost!

I totally get what you are saying, Melbourne has a buzz, great nightlife, food, sport AND sunshine.

I wouldn't argue that it's better, but I was certainly happier there.

Guest Guest 47403
I give you a month before you decide you want to go back to Australia.

edited to add: maybe less

And then a month to ping pong back to the UK.....Australia want change while you are away...:biglaugh:

You two are so predictable if she had landed and said Australia was shite and she was so glad to be back and Oz offered nothing and the green fields of the UK were the dogs...................you'd be her bestest friends PMSL

You two are so predictable if she had landed and said Australia was shite and she was so glad to be back and Oz offered nothing and the green fields of the UK were the dogs...................you'd be her bestest friends PMSL

coming from you that is funny...really funny.

How can you say it is cloudy? Are you watching the tennis...the last few weeks have been really sunny and warm...it really gets me when people bang on about it raining and cloudy when they know it is not.....look at Wimbledon today and when it started...there's the truth folks....warm and very sunny.

it has been cloudy!!! I am in East Anglia and not Wimbledon. It has been warm, not rainy, only a touch of rain really. BUT it has not really been a blue sky at all. I have seen blue sky on 2 days out of the last 7 and that was still with cloud. I am telling the truth! Plus Wimbledon isn't that sunny anyway.

Dont try and schew the truth.

Sometimes i think people keep saying the same thing to convince themselves they made the right decision or are in the right place.

That's why i am here now, i am not sure of my decision and need to tell the truth to know i am making the right choices and not telling myself lies

I think we are going to keep busy, business is going well which is great. Popped into London which although was dull (weather wise) it was still quite fun, despite it being a short time.

My bf said England compared with Australia is like the contrast button turned right down, haha! We are more happy to be here now though, going to enjoy these summer evenings and make sure we see a lot of England while we are here.

It's funny we have changed a lot i think and [despite me reading it so much on here over the years] the people and family we know at home havent really. And we can't expect them to, but it can make it difficult to relate to them in many ways. i guess that is what happens when you go away for a fair amount of time.

And it's so hard to put into words, but you just feel like you want more from your life now you have explored more of the world.

We came back last December as my husband was diagnosed with cancer....lets just say 7 months on, we are booking flights back to Australia.

But definitely give it more time....hopefully you'll settle back in when the weather is better :)

So sorry your husband had cancer but why did you have to return.?

• 1 month later...

An update here! Spent some time in the forest of dean (absolutely amazing), wales, south east, midlands etc. Realised it is a totally different life, with some similar people (i.e.family) but other than that it's all new. Got a temporary rental and seeing how we feel. Keen maybe on doing some casual travel next year, not fretting about where we will 'be' - although everyone we know is obsessed for us haha! Glad we came back, we think... i miss some things but the weather recently has sort of made everything much nicer. If it was constant grey it may have been different. Keen on seeing more of the world and i think in Aus it was easy to get into a rut as we were so isolated (from what exactly (apart from family etc) i am still not 100% sure, but it felt that way) and feel a lot more free. I think in some ways i will always have grass is greener syndrome haha :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
Wow everyone thank you for all your replies, I appreciate each one of them!

We didn't have a particular place in mind, just to be nearer to family (both live in different parts of uk - east anglia and midlands), we missed the culture, missed the green/countryside/woodlands, ease of getting to other places, familiarity etc.

We lived in Manchester for many years for uni/after uni which was great and so now we are seeing our families we are unfamiliar with our old 'home towns' as it were.

We are starting our own business (internet based stuff - so no need to be in a set location) and so we have no need to base ourselves anywhere. We had jobs in Melbourne so i suppose it is strange not doing that, it is a big change for us, new country and new business.

Bristol is a consideration, i like the independent shops and the vibe there, only been once so will have to check it out properly.

I know comparing is terrible but i suppose it can't be helped. We are in East Anglia atm and it has been grey almost everyday, a hint of sun here and there but if you blink you miss it. Now i hated the oppressive sun in Melbourne when it was hot, but honestly, i think the grey has just shocked me as it hasn't relented and this is summer!

I am jet lagged a touch and need to get out there! It's hard feeling a bit lost in somewhere you thought was 'home'. I suppose home is where u make it.

i hope i don't become a ping ponger!x

aw I know exactly how you feel. We are in Melbourne and are trialling a move home for 3 months next year while I'm off work on maternity. What you need to remind yourself I guess is that Melbs is a big diverse city. So that cafe culture won't be found in just a little English town. I love Melbourne but not OZ. my husband dislikes both lol. We travelled around the world for a year and extensively round OZ and found it really hard to settle when we got home. Like you we were so excited to see family and my husbands family and mine are 8 hours away so there is no real home for both of us. But if you left Melb for family I'd be weary of living too far from them as you'll end up not seeing them either.

Financially I think Melbourne is a nightmare. We'd never be able to buy a house again unless it was some poorly made unit and that's important to us as we both had great childhoods in big family homes.

Why don't you seek out a few best of British things happening like summer shows and festivals etc. Or organise a family get together :)) xxx

Well I arrived back at the end of April and the weather has been wonderful! We headed to Paignton (and I totally agree with Fourcorners post) and stayed at Newbury overnight. Jet lag had me up extremely early and yes that first morning was cold and cloudy but I just revelled in it having lived in Brisbane and the Gold coast for over 30 years. I walked all round town and down by he river with a stupid grin on my face and haven't stopped smiling since! I rejoice in it being so different. I'm overwhelmed by the shops and there are a huge amount of second hand shops with funky clothes and retro stuff and the stuff is so cheap! Everything seems to be cheap except for petrol but we rarely use the car any more where we live as we walk or catch buses which come every 10 minutes. At times it has been far too hot for me as it is a clear, burning sun and my OH has been in the sea for a swim, just like in Oz. There is so much to see and it is so very beautiful but then I do live surrounded by beautiful places in Paignton. It is also so easy to get around the country on the motorways so it doesn't bother us that my brother lives in Llaneli (Wales) and another lives in Hereford and many other relatives live all over UK and no, we had no home town to return to either. Get out there and look - it is a wonderful country and everywhere is easily accessible and you can choose wherever you'd like to live. Bristol looks interesting and we are going to go there soon to look around. What's to compare? It's so much better here as it is far more versatile.

Well I arrived back at the end of April and the weather has been wonderful! We headed to Paignton (and I totally agree with Fourcorners post) and stayed at Newbury overnight. Jet lag had me up extremely early and yes that first morning was cold and cloudy but I just revelled in it having lived in Brisbane and the Gold coast for over 30 years. I walked all round town and down by he river with a stupid grin on my face and haven't stopped smiling since! I rejoice in it being so different. I'm overwhelmed by the shops and there are a huge amount of second hand shops with funky clothes and retro stuff and the stuff is so cheap! Everything seems to be cheap except for petrol but we rarely use the car any more where we live as we walk or catch buses which come every 10 minutes. At times it has been far too hot for me as it is a clear, burning sun and my OH has been in the sea for a swim, just like in Oz. There is so much to see and it is so very beautiful but then I do live surrounded by beautiful places in Paignton. It is also so easy to get around the country on the motorways so it doesn't bother us that my brother lives in Llaneli (Wales) and another lives in Hereford and many other relatives live all over UK and no, we had no home town to return to either. Get out there and look - it is a wonderful country and everywhere is easily accessible and you can choose wherever you'd like to live. Bristol looks interesting and we are going to go there soon to look around. What's to compare? It's so much better here as it is far more versatile.

Ain't bad is it.....:cute: