Been back a few days....

Kel1

What a weird time it is! After an incredibly long journey we landed back in England, and it was pretty underwhelming.

The drive from Heathrow was pretty depressing, I didn't really feel that happy to be back... despite really looking forward to it!

Obviously the drive from any airport isn't that exciting but it just felt flat and grey.

Had a few nice days with family, but there has been little sun, literally blanket cloud which is a bit sad. We felt the sun in Melbourne was so strong and it often stopped us doing walks,hikes, going out in summer - so we were looking forward to a milder climate. But after several years in Aus i think maybe we got a case of the rose tinted?! Anyone else felt a bit in shock when they moved back??

It has been nice to see the green grass, lovely country villages and everyone has been honestly really friendly. Barclays were quick and efficient, shop keepers have been lovely, etc etc. But... i dont know if it just me but there is a definite sort of slowness. It's hard to explain, maybe because we are in a small town in middle England, but it seems like nothing is going on. Not many independent coffee shops, vintage stores, quirky stuff. Just lots of chain type places and the feeling of Costa, Starbucks etc etc. Maybe we were spoilt in Melbourne??

We are not sure where to base ourselves. We don't want to live in eachother's 'home towns'. Not sure where to live. Bit confused...

We gave up good jobs and a fairly 'easy' life for something we are not sure exists here. But we do like it, we just keep comparing. Maybe we want a bit of everything and can't have it. We wanted to see our families more but realistically, how much do we want to? We don't want to live toooo close and be in their pockets. Our friends are spread all over the uk, so there is no 'hub' - we need to create one, but where? Melbourne was so new and we had no ties that we felt we could do anything and be anything. Here we feel different but can't put our finger on it.

Anyone experienced difficulties moving back and why?

Cheers!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's early days for you still, hopefully it will all slot together once you find the right spot to live.

do you want to/need to live in a certain kind of place for work hobbies etc.

maybe if you list a few things that you would like to be near, other members could make some suggestions for places that you could look at.

What a weird time it is! After an incredibly long journey we landed back in England, and it was pretty underwhelming.

The drive from Heathrow was pretty depressing, I didn't really feel that happy to be back... despite really looking forward to it!

Obviously the drive from any airport isn't that exciting but it just felt flat and grey.

Had a few nice days with family, but there has been little sun, literally blanket cloud which is a bit sad. We felt the sun in Melbourne was so strong and it often stopped us doing walks,hikes, going out in summer - so we were looking forward to a milder climate. But after several years in Aus i think maybe we got a case of the rose tinted?! Anyone else felt a bit in shock when they moved back??

It has been nice to see the green grass, lovely country villages and everyone has been honestly really friendly. Barclays were quick and efficient, shop keepers have been lovely, etc etc. But... i dont know if it just me but there is a definite sort of slowness. It's hard to explain, maybe because we are in a small town in middle England, but it seems like nothing is going on. Not many independent coffee shops, vintage stores, quirky stuff. Just lots of chain type places and the feeling of Costa, Starbucks etc etc. Maybe we were spoilt in Melbourne??

We are not sure where to base ourselves. We don't want to live in eachother's 'home towns'. Not sure where to live. Bit confused...

We gave up good jobs and a fairly 'easy' life for something we are not sure exists here. But we do like it, we just keep comparing. Maybe we want a bit of everything and can't have it. We wanted to see our families more but realistically, how much do we want to? We don't want to live toooo close and be in their pockets. Our friends are spread all over the uk, so there is no 'hub' - we need to create one, but where? Melbourne was so new and we had no ties that we felt we could do anything and be anything. Here we feel different but can't put our finger on it.

Anyone experienced difficulties moving back and why?

Cheers!

We had the same confusing when we got back. You are bound to compare things, both countries are so different, but both have their good and bad points. It's very early days for you, just like it is for people who move to Australia and say they want to be back in the UK after only being there a short time.

Maybe when you have settled down and got use to your new life back here, then you will be able to look at things better and decide where the better place is for you. For me, it took about a year to settle and know where I wanted to be. That was 15 years ago now and nothing's changed. Only time will tell you if that's the same for you.

Been back in the UK for nearly 18 months and still enjoying living in a totally different country from Australia. Lots of differences between Oz and the UK. If you keep comparing them you'll end up nowhere mate. Anyone planning on returning to the UK must surely know what's in store for them. If you were disappointed as quickly as leaving the airport then you're definitely in the wrong place.

Stop comparing. You are your own worst enemy doing this. You'll never begin to settle if you keep on comparing this and that to what was in Melbourne. You also need to give it longer than a few days to adjust to the changes and differences. I'd also say lower your expectations, in fact, try to leave them at the door. Keep an open mind and go out and get stuck in. You don't sound enthused or ready to really get stuck in tbh.

I'd say go where the work is first and foremost. Find a job, get back into things and work out from that.

We live just outside Bristol and love it round here. The city has a mix of shops, things to do and so on. Plenty of quirky and independents alongside the chains. Lots to do in and around Bristol. We don't let the weather put us off if we want to do stuff. Lots of smaller towns in and around and Bath not far. Also can nip over the bridge to Wales on the weekends and to Cardiff for sport and gigs etc. Couple of hours from London and the midlands.

How unfortunate that you got a grey day. It's still very early days! Come to East Anglia we get some fabulous days - it was great walking this morning, bit blustery this afternoon but they say tomorrow should be better.

I have loved the summer this year...we have had plenty of warm sunny days and the coming week looks good...enjoy...:cute:

Been back in the UK for nearly 18 months and still enjoying living in a totally different country from Australia. Lots of differences between Oz and the UK. If you keep comparing them you'll end up nowhere mate. Anyone planning on returning to the UK must surely know what's in store for them. If you were disappointed as quickly as leaving the airport then you're definitely in the wrong place.

That's not always the case when you get back though. Once you live in another country for any length of time, it can change your perception about life and what's really important to you. When you get back, the country may not have changed to any great extent, but you probably have.

It's weird, we are returning in a couple of weeks and I had this sudden panic about how awful it is going to seem when we get there, mainly based on past experience of Heathrow airport! I had this strong image in my head of being exhausted, looking for a shuttle bus in the dark, in the rain and traffic everywhere! It seems from your post it may be quite realistic! When we planned our return I envisaged flying into Edinburgh, touching the 'This is home' adverts that RBS have on the bridges and being met by family and friends. The reality is landing in a city I dislike and met by heavily armed police! Followed by a night in an airport hotel and a long drive!

The thing is it makes no difference to our future life in the UK and I think you are putting too much emphasis on first impressions. Anyone moving back to there home country has to be prepared for 'reverse culture shock' - there will be a period where Australia seems preferable (especially on a miserable winter's day!). It is a normal process and doesn't mean you have made a mistake. I'm expecting it to take at least a year to know for sure (regardless of whether I love it or hate it in the first few months)

What concerns me for you is that you have returned to the UK without really knowing where you want to be and I don't think you will feel settled until that is sorted. Can you narrow it down at all? Is it England you want to live in? Can you narrow it down to a county or even just a region? Is there a particular major city you want access to? Do you need to be able to commute? What's an acceptable distance for you? What kind of money can you afford to spend? Etc, etc.

Above all don't forget you have jet lag at the moment and that is very disorientating in itself.

Having both arrived back in the UK via Heathrow so many times, it gives us both a strange sense of security. My OH used to work 6 weeks in Karratha, then fly home to Cornwall for 3 weeks via Heathrow. He did that for 10 months. We both know the drill of arrive, pick up bags, nothing to declare, shuttle to car hire, usually Europcar, pick up car, check for dings, get on the M4, finally breath a sigh of relief when we join the M5, properly relax once over the Devon border, home. Although a pasty on the M5 did help before we got to Devon! We pretty much ignore the greyness of Heathrow as that is not our home. Just like when we arrive in Perth here, we ignore Perth until we get home.

In March when we were last there we actually enjoyed the greyness! Not having to wear sunglasses constantly was quite a refreshing change.

Plus as Jules says, jet lag can really screw you over for the first week. When we moved from Australia to Canada we had terrible jet lag in Vancouver. It really clouded my judgement of the place and I felt awfully depressed. Looking back I know it was jet lag but it took a long time to forget that initial feeling.

To the OP, there are so many nice towns in the UK which do have lots of independent shops, go to Totnes it even has its own currency!

Edited by fourcorners

Funny but I even get a nice feeling when I arrive in Heathrow.The jet lag only gets me coming back to Oz although you tend to awake at stupid o'clock the next day upon arrival to the UK but easy to go back to sleep.

I like getting back to Perth as well but its after a few weeks of living there I start to want to leave due to having done everything twice (even after being here just 8 months).

I love getting back to my home town, no family there but some good mates I've known for ever and its nice to go shopping and be able to afford pretty much anything and eat out without a bank loan and actually get a decent meal with good service.

Wake up to bird sounds and not squawking, see green and I believe people are much friendlier in the UK, they don't initially do the small talk though as in Oz. I find in Oz people do the small talk to anyone but then walk away, where as its the opposite in the UK, people are more open after a while.

If you were from the UK though you must have known what the weather is like. It wont be as good, people do forget so easily and reminisce with rose tinted glasses. No doubt you will start to think how great Oz is for the weather etc.. when in reality you were boiled alive and were probably a bit bored with life living there.

Edited by dustyroad

When I was younger and worked away from home many years ago, and periodically returned to the UK it never failed to give me a sense of dread. Older bones though tend to find comfort in strange places, and as mentioned things are fine in bonnie Scotland after thirty odd years away. But if anyone is thinking of returning, please don't come back for the weather. Surprising the people on here who return to the UK and declare the weather was terrible. Of course it is. Winters never disappoints here but summers do.

Would much rather have Cornwall than Karratha by the way. No contest there.

Edited by Sydney

Wow everyone thank you for all your replies, I appreciate each one of them!

We didn't have a particular place in mind, just to be nearer to family (both live in different parts of uk - east anglia and midlands), we missed the culture, missed the green/countryside/woodlands, ease of getting to other places, familiarity etc.

We lived in Manchester for many years for uni/after uni which was great and so now we are seeing our families we are unfamiliar with our old 'home towns' as it were.

We are starting our own business (internet based stuff - so no need to be in a set location) and so we have no need to base ourselves anywhere. We had jobs in Melbourne so i suppose it is strange not doing that, it is a big change for us, new country and new business.

Bristol is a consideration, i like the independent shops and the vibe there, only been once so will have to check it out properly.

I know comparing is terrible but i suppose it can't be helped. We are in East Anglia atm and it has been grey almost everyday, a hint of sun here and there but if you blink you miss it. Now i hated the oppressive sun in Melbourne when it was hot, but honestly, i think the grey has just shocked me as it hasn't relented and this is summer!

I am jet lagged a touch and need to get out there! It's hard feeling a bit lost in somewhere you thought was 'home'. I suppose home is where u make it.

i hope i don't become a ping ponger!x

I loved flying into Manchester when we went back last year. I cried! It's not all doom and gloom oop North contrary to some peoples opinion! The sun was shining though, it was very pleasant weatherwise when we were back in October. Give it time OP, everything looks better when the sun shines, its gloomy in Perth when its grey, I think the brightness makes everywhere look better and us feel better. Get some sleep, see some family, get drunk and enjoy being home