AITSL advice needed

Nigel Hooley

Hi all,

I am new to the forum posts but have been reading for a considerable time. I have just received a "not suitable" result from AITSL. This decision was based on my degree being a 3 year not 4 year degree. So arising from this I have a myriad of questions some of which shall be put to AITSL directly. I was wondering if anyone here had been through a similar experience though.

So my background is that of a secondary Maths teacher having qualified through the 3 year Bachelor of Education route. This is an honours degree. So AITSL are saying I am unsuitable only on the degree length.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is there some academic content to my degree that is missing (this may be something only AITSL can answer unless someone here has experience of the same issue)

2) If there is no academic content missing why is the degree classed as unsuitable? Is it seriously just as black and white as 3 years not 4?

3) If it is this black and white issue has anybody every successfully appealed this decision?

4) The biggest I guess is since it would appear I need to do some form of course to increase from 3 to 4 years can anyone make any recommendations based on experience? These can be UK or Australia based since I have family in Australia I could live with during the course of any study.

Any help on these initial questions would be gratefully received - I am sure your responses may throw up further questions!

Thanks in advance

Hi there

Sorry about your news. Yes it is as simple as three years and not four. I have not come across anyone who has successfully appealed with 3 year study.

In order to teach in Australia you need a 4 year degree. Either 3 year honours plus PGCE or 3 year B Ed plus other post grad.

The only way to receive a positive outcome is to do additional university study.

The other necessary item is that you must be able to prove a minimum of 45 days supervised teaching practice in schools. Usually it is fairly straightforward to obtain a letter from the academic registry of the university.

Best of luck

Millie x

I'm afraid that AITSL are adamant that it's 4 years. You will need PGCE or Australian equivalent. Good luck! :biggrin:

He already has a three year Bachelor of Education. As long as he has the required number of supervised teaching days ( from study) he will NOT have to do a PGCE.

However, he will need to do one more year of post graduate study in order to be eligible.

Every single teaching registration board across Australia requires four years of university study. The best thing for the OP to do now is to contact the teaching registration board in his preferred state, then ask them for advice about what to study for post grad.

He is a maths teacher which is greatly in his favour.

Edited by Sammy1

Yes, sorry, I was a bit unclear. A further year of study, either PGCE or other Post Grad, and must have 45 days supervised teaching.

:biggrin:

1. Educational

Study assessed by AITSL as comparable to at least four years full-time (or part-time equivalent) higher

education (university) level study in Australia, that results in a qualification/s comparable to the educational

level of an Australian bachelor degree or higher.

2. Professional

For the occupations of early childhood (pre-primary school) teacher (ANZSCO code 241111),

primary school teacher (ANZSCO code 241213), middle school teacher (Aus)/Intermediate school

teacher (NZ) (ANZSCO code 241311), and secondary school teacher (ANZSCO code 241411)

(i) an initial teacher education qualification relevant to the nominated occupation of at least one

year full-time study (or part-time equivalent) at the higher education (university) level that

includes a minimum of 45 days of supervised teaching practice with students in a school

setting, relevant to the nominated occupation.

Thanks for all of the replies. The letter states that only the qualification was unsuitable. Everything else was absolutely fine. I am going to give AITSL a call later and see exactly what the issue was. If it is as Millie has suggested just the 3 years v's 4 then other than a few other questions it would appear a further year of study is needed.

With this in mind does anybody have any recommendations? I have looked at the VIT website who have the same requirements and they make some suggestions for upgrade routes based in Australia.

I will let you all know how the AITSL call goes.

Ok so I've just made the call to AITSL. The woman on the other end was very helpful as far as she could be.

as Millie said it definitely is all about 3 years v's 4 years. The woman at AITSL was very careful not to make any definitive suggestions as standards / criteria can change. She did say that if they make a suggestion of complete a specific course and changes are made then there could be a tough situation later on. I guess I can understand their point of view in this. Whilst those of us on the receiving end may consider this unhelpful it is also logical.

So my conversation did bring me back to the point of what to do next. The simple answer is - based on current criteria- that 3 + 1 = 4 so a years additional study at bachelors level or higher is needed. (Unless a lovely private school in Melbourne would like to sponsor me on a 457 of course - unlikely).

That brings me back to one of my original questions - has anyone been in this position before and what courses did they do?

Hi, sorry for the delay its been a busy week in work. I was hoping to go straight to a skilled independent 189 visa. I've looked at state sponsored and they also require a successful aitsl assessment. As a result I'm looking into doing a masters and heading to aus on a student visa. If anyone knows of another option where study wouldn't be required I'm all ears.

Ok so I've just made the call to AITSL. The woman on the other end was very helpful as far as she could be.

as Millie said it definitely is all about 3 years v's 4 years. The woman at AITSL was very careful not to make any definitive suggestions as standards / criteria can change. She did say that if they make a suggestion of complete a specific course and changes are made then there could be a tough situation later on. I guess I can understand their point of view in this. Whilst those of us on the receiving end may consider this unhelpful it is also logical.

So my conversation did bring me back to the point of what to do next. The simple answer is - based on current criteria- that 3 + 1 = 4 so a years additional study at bachelors level or higher is needed. (Unless a lovely private school in Melbourne would like to sponsor me on a 457 of course - unlikely).

That brings me back to one of my original questions - has anyone been in this position before and what courses did they do?

A private school cannot sponsor you either - sorry. This is because you will still be required to be registered with the teaching board and no board will register you until you have four years of the required tertiary education.

Your best option is to contact the relevant teaching registration board and they will be able to advise you of the appropriate course of study to follow.