mixed race couple, questions we never thought of.......is it an issue?

tinaisrar

Hi firstly i want to say this is not a post about religion but culture and info is greatly appreciated.

Myself and partner have began the process of emigrating and now researching where best to live, however, we never thought we would have to think about this carefully as we are now, or are we just being a little to tentative?

I am a christian raised in the UK and live in a multicultural city and familiar with many different cultures. My partner is a pakistani muslim and also accustomed to the lifestyle of the uk, though his culture is first to him he adapts to where we live (of course). We have never had any issues being a mixed race couple and many friends of different cultures.

We want similar in Oz multicultural or certainly somewhere where no issues or prejudice ( though i appreciate this is everywhere). oooo i feel like im rambling, basically is there certain areas of Oz we should avoid and is there plenty of areas that can incorporate a muslim culture alongside welcoming the great new culture that Oz has to offer. Obviously not going to be segregated want a healthy mix.....plus is purchasing halal easy over there.

We are considering new south wales (no more than an hour outside of Sydney) and victoria, though feeling pulled more to NSW :biggrin: Thanks for reading my ramble, its funny how when the ball gets rolling you start to look closer at what you do have here as oppose to what you dont like :S xxx

Good luck where you chose to move to.

I can definitely say , coming here for a holiday is very different to living here.

We are in melbs still with in metropolitan area and there are shops where you can get all sorts of food indian food. I have seen halal food is available and there are halal restaurants. You just have to do a lot of searching.

I think the same dont expect it be an issue as many different races live there. However as you mention " some parts of UK " is a muchness to Oz in this area, trying to find out which areas of Oz is more multicultral spots. Is city better than regional areas for example ? i see u r in NSW do you see any issues at all or as i said am i being a little over tentative thx for quick reply Rupert x

Good luck where you chose to move to.

I can definitely say , coming here for a holiday is very different to living here.

We are in melbs still with in metropolitan area and there are shops where you can get all sorts of food indian food. I have seen halal food is available and there are halal restaurants. You just have to do a lot of searching.

Ty Jin, this is why i posted it as doing alot of research but not alot to answer our question, re food community etc.......Why are u moving back?

I'd agree with Rupert, you'll find cities more multicultural. There is a large muslim community in Australia (middle eastern) so I think you'll be able to get Halal products. My wife and I are a mixed race couple and live in Sydney, haven't faced a single problem. As the Aussies say "it's all good".

I'd agree with Rupert, you'll find cities more multicultural. There is a large muslim community in Australia (middle eastern) so I think you'll be able to get Halal products. My wife and I are a mixed race couple and live in Sydney, haven't faced a single problem. As the Aussies say "it's all good".

Thanks Bromney, what areas of sydney do u recommend for us, no more than an hour outside of Sydney thats not to quiet? thx xx

I do not believe you will have a problem living in any area, can only speak for Melbourne myself but people who are married to people from another culture are very well accepted. If you choose to live say in a community where there are strong ethnic links then maybe you could get it from the community itself.

I have a Thai friend and she lives in Brisbane and she was married to an Aus and the Thai family did not like that at all. Evidently in Thailand you must be pure Thai.

My neighbour is Filipino married to an Aus and I have another neighbour up the road is also Filipino married to a Swiss person. No problems

My son has a good friend who is from Mauritius and he has an English partner and no problems and he lives in a neighbourhood where he would be in a minority.

Its really how people adapt who ever we are and where ever we come from.

As for Halal food, most supermarkets in areas where there is a Mosque sell Halal and a lot of take aways do to. Very easy to get.

I have only noticed one butcher around my area with halal, and an Indian take away..

Melbourne however had LOADS when I visited. Lots more Muslim looking people as well. To me this was a good thing.

You shouldn't have any problems here as a couple. If he has a strong accent he may find it harder getting work, but it can be hard coming in from anywhere as Aussies are all about who you know, not what you know.

Good luck and don't worry.

Have only been here in Queensland for a few months , similar to you guys I'm white, but not religious and OH is Indian origin, born in Burma and Muslim , not had any problems so far where we are . However, we didn't live in a very multicultural area in the UK so are used to that , my OH prefers not to be too close to his rellies lol I did speak to one of his colleagues however and she said her OH is missing the UK as they did live in an area with a big community and plenty of halal shops. Oz is a different country and for us we are trying to adapt to OZ culture rather than trying to impose our own , we are loving it, off out for a trip to the Sunny Coast today, feels like going on holiday. Still got the washing and dishes to do though ha ha. Good luck with it all, there is lots to think about......

Same in Perth - multicultural,lots of mixed marriages, and Halal food available. There are some areas of Perth and, dare I say, in all other major cities where it is less nice to live, but that is for living in general, not specifically multicultural. One piece of non-PC advice is to avoid those areas where there are a lot of aboriginals. There is usually a tendency for increased violence and crime.

One comment made about living in a rural setting. It may be a generalism that there is less multicultural life in the country, but I find, as a country resident, in a mixed marriage (Caucasian/Chinese) that there is absolutely no problem at all with acceptance. What does make a huge difference though is the mindset of city/country. City folk feel less comfortable living rurally, and find little in common with their neighbours. If you and your hubby are already country people, then you willfind no issues at all in a rural setting.

Archived