Is anyone panicking about the sharemarket ?

Parley

Guest chris955

If you get involved in the sharemarket you have to be prepared to either make money or lose it, I would sooner spend the money down the pub.

Guest chris955

Thats the problem though they dont always come back, imagine if you had bought into Billabong for example, a very well established reliable company now you couldnt give them away. Regardless of the company it is always a risk but if you can afford the possible loss go for it.

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.

I'm inclined to take a rather sanguine view of stockmarket ups and downs, especially in respect of super funds

It's always going to rise and fall. Unless you bought in very heavily near a peak (unlikely in the case of super but the sort of thing that happens when people believe "new paradigm" type hubris, eg dotcom bubble) or are close to retirement or some other event that might require you to cash in a big chunk of the pot.......I can't get too exercised about it

I do have the odd punt but I treat it as exactly that - a punt - and don't gamble more than I am prepared to lose, same as betting on a horse really

Unless it's a total, for ever, crash - in which case we're all in the sh1t anyway - it will go back up again. At some point, and to some point

I do believe (and practice) that superannuation should be managed.

While its true in the long term markets trend up and crashes/corrections recover in time, if you can avoid the corrections you can make a huge difference to your funds performance.

Im in a large fund which allows me to switch between Aus shares, International shares, Balanced, Growth, Cash etc.

I do tend to stay in shares the majority of the time, but switch if I feel a major correction is likely.

I switched from 100% shares to cash in February after the market had gone up 13 weeks in a row and I felt that it couldn't go on forever and a correction was likely.

Now there is risk in doing this and you might not always be right but if you don't overdo it it can make a huge difference.

I just need to judge when I think the correction is over and switch back to shares at the appropriate time.