Nightlife in aus...

Fosterdan

Ha.. In Brisbane roughly $5-6... £3.50 £4 for an average beer. Cider is abit more.. Don't treat yourself and buy a jäger bomb as they are about $15 each as I found out the other night... YoUll soon meet the good old goon if your in a backpackers haha

Prices vary, where are you going?

A schooner (3/4 of a pint) in Sydney of local everyday beer will set you back about $5. Better stuff, $6-$6.50. In the few places that do pints you'll be paying minimum $7.50 for cooking lager, about $9 for local good stuff. I wouldn't know about imported beer prices - when in Rome and all that

You get quite a few happy hours which might bring prices down 20-25% or so

ahhh i see! sounds like a cheap alternative then. what are the bars like are they busy & do you meet people at the hostels?

Yep - hostels are the ideal place to meet drinking buddies. Especially if you go on your own like I did - most people are in the same boat and don't know anyone either - so you get quite good at latching on to people. Yes, of course there are busy places. Same as anywhere - you get sh1t pubs/clubs where hardly anyone goes, and then you get the good ones - where it's heaving. Same as UK. But, because you don't know places, you've just got to suck it and see :)

A 24 pack of cheap beer will set you back between $40 and $50 usually wherever you are. Cheapest I've found is $39 for a 24pack of probably the worst beer I've ever tasted. Goon is cheap, gives you the worst hangover known to man, but it does the job. They can't call it "wine" as it's not technically wine, has bits of fish and eggs and other nonsense in it. If you go out on a night out you can easily be looking at well over $100 spend, easy. I make sure that when I go out I only take so much cash, then when I'm out, I'm out, it's very easy to spend loads here, wake up and be like where did all my money go. You'll meet heaps of people at hostels who fancy a drink, then want to go out, best way to meet people I'd say. Depends on where you go regarding nightlife, Cairns, Brissy, Sydney, Melbourne, Bryon, always going to be rammed, but I've found townsville a little less busy, but we do have cheap tuesday here where it's $3 basics which most people go out for.

They can't call it "wine" as it's not technically wine, has bits of fish and eggs and other nonsense in it.

You aren't being serious are you? Daftest thing I have read. Egg white is often used in winemaking to de-cloudy the wine (it sinks to the bottom taking impurites with it).

If your doing it the backpacking way you'll find nights out a lot cheaper. Every city appears to have places that offer special deals to backpackers on a certain night of the week.

Perth is expensive to booze out in the city. Around $11 for a pint of imported,sometimes a little more sometimes a bit less but expect to pay that in the CBD.

I recall Cairns as a great place for backpacker deals in the 90s and Darwin was none too shabby either. Yep goon,cheapish flask wine is the go in a lot of backpackers.

The backpacking scene is pretty much a party one around the country. A world unto its self. Not the real life in Oz perhaps,which have caught a few off guard when returning years later as long stayers and find it rather quiet.

I much prefer the UK for nightlife, what I hated in Melbourne is I would quiet often get turned away from nighclubs, something that has never happened to me in the UK. In the UK, you know if u dress nice and dont turn up drunk your fine. In Australia the doorman seem to use all sorts of random criteria for letting people in. If you try to go out midweek which I would do in the UK (when single), if your over about 23 you find yourself turned away as its "student night", and if you go with a couple of mates, all male, you also get turned away... if you dress in shirt and shoes something I would do in the UK to make sure no issues, you can be turned away for being over dressed , its very odd....

Guest lulum1986
I much prefer the UK for nightlife, what I hated in Melbourne is I would quiet often get turned away from nighclubs, something that has never happened to me in the UK. In the UK, you know if u dress nice and dont turn up drunk your fine. In Australia the doorman seem to use all sorts of random criteria for letting people in. If you try to go out midweek which I would do in the UK (when single), if your over about 23 you find yourself turned away as its "student night", and if you go with a couple of mates, all male, you also get turned away... if you dress in shirt and shoes something I would do in the UK to make sure no issues, you can be turned away for being over dressed , its very odd....

​Omg very odd :S

Something I've never heard off before, but that's cos I'm a old fart.

Daughters boyfriend went out with mates in Freo last weekend to a UV party. I don't know what one was, until come washing time.

its in simple terms its a club where you got UV paint thrown over you while in their.

i saw the photos, seems like fun, and yes it does all come out in the wash

Yep, I saw it happen a lot more in Aus too. There was about five of us one night, going out before a gig. My friend's husband got turned away from a pub because the bouncer guy thought he was drunk. It was our first port of call - and nobody had touched a drop. He was tired, and said so (has a hard graft job outside). The bouncer just said 'well, you look drunk'. Crackers - if that's all they go off (there were no slurred words or falling over)!! He obviously wasn't drunk - anyone can be tired!! They are more keen that's for sure - it can be good for stopping really p***ed people having more drink, but in the case above - just plain stupid!! I also saw people being turned away for daft reasons on occasion - and you can't argue with em!

Does that not happen everywhere tho? If you get a asshole bouncer. I just assumed it did, it happened to us in glasgow one of the first times i ever went. They just wouldnt let one of the group in for no apparent reason. Its one of the reasons i dont bother with clubs so much. It seems to happen in pubs too tho. Just a bit crap! Aus might be worse for it by the sounds of it though

But why would you want to?

I didn't actually buy it. I was just wanting to find it as it's "The Australian Beer" that everyone in the UK assumes is drunk everywhere in australia. But that's the only place I've seen it.

Archived