Not going to oz

KIRK AND CO

If you were not going would you leave this forum or do you think there is still a point of staying. Your answers will help me to stay or leave thanks.

It's upto you really. Im not going any time soon but i still stick around. Theres quite a few people on here with no plans of going, we all have different reasons for staying

I think once my visa runs out in july i should leave tbh,i dont understand all these new visas,so cant help really,but we'll see?,loads of people on here i wanna see do well tho,so...........................

You better not.. Or we'll hunt you down and drag you back.

I always say to myself that i will leave but i havent yet.. I stick around like a bad smell lol

Guest Guest 47403
I think once my visa runs out in july i should leave tbh,i dont understand all these new visas,so cant help really,but we'll see?,loads of people on here i wanna see do well tho,so...........................

Tend to agree pabs, if for some reason all our plans fell through I don't think I'd feel the need to hang around.......know what you mean though about wanting to see some folk do well.......................you need to hang around tho to get our address for free b&b if you fancy a Tasmanian holiday, Tas whiskies are supposed to very good!

Guest Guest 47403
If you were not going would you leave this forum or do you think there is still a point of staying. Your answers will help me to stay or leave thanks.

I'd ride off into the sunset if I were you kurt enjoy all that lovely money you've made!

Guest guest30085

There's nothing wrong with staying Kirk, if you still get something out of it. If you have formed friendships or can help with others then no reason to go. If You've been to Oz you can give your point of view. There are a few on here though that I do wonder (worry) about. I have a feeling they have never been to Oz and have a presence on many forums (regardless of the context of the forum) and just like to hear the sound of their own (antagonistic) voice and will argue with a piece of string if they thought it was wrong. But if you've lived in both countries it would give validation to you being here.

​For those who wanted to go to Oz but it doesn't happen, I see no reason as to why they can't stay, after all a forum is all about diversity, if they can cope with the constant reminder of Oz that is :)

Guest Guest 47403
Exactamundo! Theres always holidays to aus

That's it Stace he obviously saw something in Oz to make him apply for a visa so all that wonga he's made by not going can go towards lovely holidays.

Guest Guest16631

....coming to Australia or not..............many have much to offer this forum......

.....information about the uk from someone there.......is invaluable......

.......not only to those returning.............but for those looking at holidays....

........it's also interesting.......IMO...........to hear about places you have memories of....

........how its changed or not...................I would say to all those ........stay......

Forums are communities. Sure they all have a purpose, and 99% of us join them for a particular reason, but once you're part of that community even if the original reason for joining no longer exists you may feel you want to stay because you're a part of that community, nothing wrong with that

E.g., in my youth I was a massive bike nut - rode motorbikes from age 17 until about 35. When internet forums were first conceived in the late 90s, I gravitated straight to biking forums as that was my major leisure pursuit at the time. Especially when I was living abroad for the first time and planning on heading home (this was in about 2000) as I'd been away for a few years and wanted to hook up with a few new people. The bike forums I was on were brilliant for that, made some lifelong friends and many other acquaintances, there were some great people on there. Lots of water under the bridge since then, most notably from a personal PoV I was stupid enough to write my bike off when my wife was pregnant with our first, and had just had another cancer scare. So I was told in no uncertain terms that when I got the insurance payout, I wasn't buying another bike (rumours that the thumbprint on my head can be seen from space are untrue).

As a result, I haven't swung my leg over a bike for 6 years now. Miss it a lot, but some things in life are more important. But I'm still on those bike forums, even though I haven't ridden for ages and won't be riding for the foreseeable future (believing I'll get a classic for sunny Sunday pottering when the kids are grown up keeps me going), and even though I don't live in the UK any more unlike 90% of the people on the forum. Why? Because that forum has some of the wittiest, most generous, cleverest, most ebullient people on it that it's ever been my pleasure to encounter. As well as a new nobs. Basically I stay on it because a large number of people on there I consider as my friends, to a greater or lesser extent. Whether or not I ride a bike any more seems almost immaterial

I have asked myself whether I will stay once I'm settled back in the UK. I made a conscious effort to leave once we were settled in Australia, I found the constant navel gazing on whether my life was better or not unhealthy. I returned though when we were considering returning to the UK. I got incredible support. People often question why those that have returned stay on the forum, I guess when you return no one around really understands what you have been through, I have made two friends through this forum who have lived in Perth and then returned to Scotland - one already there, the other like me still here and leaving this year and that is incredibly helpful.

I remember Kirk & co when you were going through the process and then decided not to sell your house. It is an incredibly brave thing to do. Most people are afraid of living with regret so you have an important role in the forum to remind them it is okay to decide not to go and that for some it is the best decision.

Guest The Pom Queen

Like hell you will, I will hunt you down. You are part of the furniture like Madcow

Don't over think it. Log in and participate if you want to (and want to see online friends). You'll either feel at home and stay or gradually drift away as the site loses its relevance to you. It doesn't have to be an immediate all or nothing decision.

The forum exists to provide advice and support for people who are considering emigration or who have emigrated. If you think your experience will be useful to people considering emigration then by all means stay. On the other hand, if you were just planning to sit on the sidelines and criticise other people's choices then I'd say it would be a waste of your time and ours.

Archived