Anyone flew with Emirates recently migrating and got 45kgs included?

Hi

When we recently opened a bank account with ANZ they told me about Emirates giving an extra baggage allowance to people migrating on one way tickets.

I was led to believe that it would be 45 kgs instead of the usual 30Kgs.

We recieved our tickets and its only 30KGS, when I contacted Emirates to ask they say they havnt included free extra luggage weight since 2007!

I dont understand why the bank would mention this only last month, and I am sure I have heard people on here saying they have had it, but then I'm not sure how long ago they were refering to.

Has anybody had it recently or did you have to pay for extra at 30% discount as I have been quoted?

Thanks Savitar , thats very interesting, at least I know I am not the only one to be scammed. Customer service is appalling at Emirates , think its a Dubai thing to be honest , I have experienced the same with hotels in Dubai, its like they are doing you a favour just replying! But TBH I blame ANZ they shoudnt be pushing something thats not actually achievable, as I wouldnt feel cheated if they hadnt built up my expectations.

My husband flew with Emirates with the extra baggage allowance earlier in the year (I think he got 40kgs). He booked it through the International Office of Migration who were great. Kids and I flew with Qatar a couple of weeks later, again with the extra baggage allowance and again the tickets were booked through the iom. Emirates Customer Service are not great so it is worth googling migrant flights as then you can get the correct number to call. They may then be able to help.

However when we did this (again recommended by the bank) we found the flight charges were almost double what they were if you did not want the extra baggage allowance. When we went through iom, the total cost was cheaper than buying the ticket online on the Emirates website. We did have to provide copies of our visa to prove we were emigrating, but that was it.

I would thoroughly recommend the iom for migrant flights. They were excellent!

Hey really great info thanx I was just about to book with emirates on the basis of that 45kg offer. I just rang Emirates to ask if the offer is still valid and the guy says he doesn't know so asked if they provide any additional baggage allowance for migrants outside of that offer and was told no they don't so seeing as they are pricy anyway guess will be looking elsewhere prob go via IOM route

​mem

My wife and I moved over a little over 2 weeks ago flying emirates, 90kg between us lol some how 3 of the 4 bags were hers go figure. Think we paid around £700 for the extra 30kg. Best bet is if you have an address you can use out here, post your stuff!!!!! it will be a fraction of the cost and probably arrive before you do! Just do a bit of an online search for the best deal! can work out better to send 10 shoe box size packages than one suit case too so look at that as well!

Going via the US is a great option. You just look for flights Via LA, for example. If you want you can even stop over there for a day or two but if you just want to connect through you can. When I booked it a few years ago the price of the one way flight was only a little more than a direct one way flight but I got 46kg vs 20kg on the direct route. It will be FAR cheaper than business class, it does take longer though.

As a minimum it can't hurt ringing Qantas / BA and asking them for costs....

My wife and I emigrated a month ago from London to Perth. I took up ANZ on their Emirates offer and they upped the allowance to 40kg each ( I was told the 45kg had recently been reduced to 40kg per person).

Not sure about other routes but I paid 800 pounds each for our one way ticket. Had to email them details of the visa after booking the tickets and they then updated our reservation with the higher baggage allowance.

P.s. shipped a few boxes door to door with excess baggage. We've jsut received them and pretty happy with the service. All the paperwork was a pain but I guess you can't get round that.

​HTH

We fly out this Saturday with Emirates and have the 45kg weight allowance. We were exactly the same as you ie joined with ANZ to get the one way migrating flight price and additional baggage allowance using a link from ANZ. When we got the e tickets it too stated 30kgs so I rang customer services who said they were unaware of this offer - I asked to speak with a supervisor and gave them the url link which came via ANZ to show them that they do indeed have a landing page for this specific offer. With that they could not argue and upon us sending via email copies of all our visas we received an email acknowledging that we did indeed have the 45kg weight allowance. This is all printed off and will be produced at check in so they cannot deny.

Good luck and I hope you too get your justified weight allowance

My husband flew with Emirates with the extra baggage allowance earlier in the year (I think he got 40kgs). He booked it through the International Office of Migration who were great. Kids and I flew with Qatar a couple of weeks later, again with the extra baggage allowance and again the tickets were booked through the iom. Emirates Customer Service are not great so it is worth googling migrant flights as then you can get the correct number to call. They may then be able to help. However when we did this (again recommended by the bank) we found the flight charges were almost double what they were if you did not want the extra baggage allowance. When we went through iom, the total cost was cheaper than buying the ticket online on the Emirates website. We did have to provide copies of our visa to prove we were emigrating, but that was it. I would thoroughly recommend the iom for migrant flights. They were excellent!

Hi there,

Can you please tell me how you booked flights through IOM?

​Cheers

We flew out last November and tried to do the increased baggage allowance via the ANZ offer (50kg each at the time). What a fiasco.

We opened our account and were sent a link for Emirates to book. Did this and got the flight details up which were more than the price on their usual website...so paying higher premium to start with. Still, it was cheaper than excess baggage. The stumbling block ended up being that this was NOT the first time we'd entered Australia on our visa...despite this being a one way flight...the customer services would not budge. They were hopeless and very unhelpful. Shocking customer service all ways round. I suspect that even if we'd been able to book, we would've ended up being stung for excess baggage because it seemed like left hand didn't know what right was doing. Even when I went back to ANZ and ask if they could help, two promises of calls back resulted in nothing. Ah well. You live and learn.

In the end up, we booked flights with them via their website and binned the idea of asking for more. I did find a company though that I could get 30kg excess baggage shipped out for around £250 which wasn't bad but we didn't use it in the end.

All in all, I think ANZ are not on top of this and with the recent changes to the arrangements between Quantas and Emirates, I suspect it's not going to be available.

I did check with Singapore airlines who said we'd be eligible for 40kg each as long as it was the FIRST time we'd travelled to Australia on the visa we were travelling on. It may be worth a try with them but unfortunately we couldn't use it.

Good luck

we booked iceland air from Manchester to seattle then we have a six week American adventure folllowed by air new Zealand to melbourne from san Francisco. 46 kg luggage

Did you have to speak with air New Zealand to get that or up your class? All the economy options seem to be saying on 1 bag standard allowance unless going premium economy

Hi there,

Can you please tell me how you booked flights through IOM?

​Cheers

We got the email from someone on pomsinoz and emailed them direct. The email address is bookingsuk@iom.int. I was a bit wary at first but they were absolutely excellent. We had a choice of flights (and therefore baggage allowances as different airlines have different migrant allowances) and they were excellent as we played around with dates and times. It was just like dealing with a regular travel agent (only it was flights only).

I got 40KG with Singapore, but only after I asked them, and it wasn't easy getting it. When I got the Airport I had to show them my Visa confirmation letter, and even then they decided to call up Immigration in Canberra to check my type of Visa.

We got the email from someone on pomsinoz and emailed them direct. The email address is bookingsuk@iom.int. I was a bit wary at first but they were absolutely excellent. We had a choice of flights (and therefore baggage allowances as different airlines have different migrant allowances) and they were excellent as we played around with dates and times. It was just like dealing with a regular travel agent (only it was flights only).

i emailed them with all details for a quote they replied asking for all details - even though had clearly stated in mail I sent initially and now nothing do they take some days to come back with quote?

Archived