School fees on 457 sponsored visa

pacticenurse

State education and healthcare are free in Queensland on the 457 visa, unlike in ACT or NSW which you'd have to pay for if you were on the 457 and living in these areas. Can you not apply for skilled migration visa? More flexibility and security.

Hi.. Thanks for that, I was under the impression that 457 holder still had small amount of school fees to pay.. That's good news for us... I am going to apply for PR when I'm there, going down the 457 route basically because its quicker and cheaper ... Thanks for info ,

Hi.. Thanks for that, I was under the impression that 457 holder still had small amount of school fees to pay.. That's good news for us... I am going to apply for PR when I'm there, going down the 457 route basically because its quicker and cheaper ... Thanks for info ,

Seems like a false economy to me, quickest and easiest visa is rarely the best visa. Your way is doing two applications not one and is undoubtedly more money on the visa process overall. And then your decision, one of the biggest decisions you have to make, about where to live is governed by rules around school fees. If you want to migrate, do it properly, skilled migration is the way to go.

Have you found a sponser yet and are you using a recruitment agency? Good luck

Hi.. I've been through this in my mind over and over again for the past 4months.. I've heard from both sides, nurses who have done it via pr and nurses who have gone 457 route. I suppose I'm more impatient than some... I just want to get there now. I HATE where we live! I'm going through an agency to help find a sponsor. No fee to myself, they get finders fee from the client, my plan is to apply for pR once there.

Hi.. I've been through this in my mind over and over again for the past 4months.. I've heard from both sides, nurses who have done it via pr and nurses who have gone 457 route. I suppose I'm more impatient than some... I just want to get there now. I HATE where we live! I'm going through an agency to help find a sponsor. No fee to myself, they get finders fee from the client, my plan is to apply for pR once there.
What if you don't get it for any reason or lose your job? As other have said, if you can do go for PR.

As above, IMHO the absolute only reason for coming to Australia on a 457 if you think you want to stay is that you can't get PR. I came on 457 7 years ago as I had no other choice (too old) and was fortunate enough to be sponsored by my employer after two years. The insecurity that a 457 visa is not worth it, irrespective of your profession (even nurses can't afford to be complacent).

Another poster has described the 457 as a work permit. I think this is an excellent description. It is a visa for people who wish to come to the country for a brief period of time to experience Australia and then leave. If that's you, then it's the best visa for you - otherwise protect yourself and your family by going PR.

Free school fees yes, but no childcare rebate or family assistance. The 457 was the only visa we were eligible for so we decided to take that risk but the insecurity is very difficult. If you are eligible for a PR visa then my advice would be 100% go that route

Thanks for the advice, there are so many 'what ifs' I'm aware I could loose my job, or hate my job, If I get a job! It is scary, I can't sell my house just yet, I was thinking that when it is sold that then we can comfortably afford our PR visa, that was my plan! Although now I'm changing my mind! Cheers. :)

There are no additional school fees, but everyone pays nominal school fees to go to a state school in Australia. Some are strictly voluntary but most people pay. They are made up of levies for IT and other resources. Also, books are not included and uniforms are more expensive. You are probably looking at a couple of hundred in fees, plus books and uniforms per child.

Well people.. I've made the decision after all.. PR visa 189 it is. I'm applying for Eoi as soon as I've done the Ielts test ( if I pass ) . It so annoying when you only need 5 extra points to apply ! So I've got a date for Ielts test.. 18th may, hope I pass..

Thanks for everyone who as advised me! It's really helped me out.. I just hope the process doesn't take too long!

Happy days.. ;-)

Hi, im doing same as you, i have an agent who recommended go through the start of process for PR visa but apply for jobs if get sponsor jump to 457 visa for spped, once in oz after 2 years can apply for PR, i didnt have a clue on having to pay for schooling i thought we had choice either to pay or state school. another cost as a single mum im going to have to deal with :(

Hi, im doing same as you, i have an agent who recommended go through the start of process for PR visa but apply for jobs if get sponsor jump to 457 visa for spped, once in oz after 2 years can apply for PR, i didnt have a clue on having to pay for schooling i thought we had choice either to pay or state school. another cost as a single mum im going to have to deal with :(

Don't go on a 457 then, and it's no issue

Seriously, as a single mum, going on that visa I think is highly risky. It's not just school fees (those apply only in NSW and ACT), more importantly you have essentially NO access to benefits - including childcare rebates etc. "Once in OZ after 2 years can apply for PR" is what agents etc always say, but it's not that simple. Generally, if you can qualify for the PR visa anyway you can apply for it straight off the bat

Really?? Too risky, the extra costs are scaring me a lot working 8/9 hrs a day earning $25 an hour to pay 3 hours at $25 an hour out on childcare...

North shore Pom why do u think risky for me? I wasn't expecting any benefits

my agent seems to be full go go go on getting me a sponsor thought that was way forward but maybe waiting longer for PR better for me then, sorry I'm at very early stages and any advice is soooo gratefully received xx

Really?? Too risky, the extra costs are scaring me a lot working 8/9 hrs a day earning $25 an hour to pay 3 hours at $25 an hour out on childcare...

my agent seems to be full go go go on getting me a sponsor thought that was way forward but maybe waiting longer for PR better for me then, sorry I'm at very early stages and any advice is soooo gratefully received xx

Too risky for job stability - you won't be getting any childcare support which on a nurses salary you'd probably be entitled to, and there are a few nurses on here which report that the job situation isn't exactly rosey (I only know QLD where front line nurses are losing their jobs). You could easily hate a job here, and on 457 would be stuck and miserable. On a PR Visa you could get another job.

Lav - can I suggest you keep your posts and queries on one thread, the one you have started for yourself and people have responded to. It helps to keep your story together and people can advise you better, you are all over the place at the moment. People think you are a nurse now, but in fact you are a florist?

Thanks Rupert, is that actually from experience?

It is $4500 per year, and $5500 per year in years 11 & 12

Rates subject to change as they are set by the state government. They haven't gone up for a couple of years now

I pay them for my son, or rather, my company pays them on my behalf

Archived