Sedating or drugging children on flight?

Guest dannii28

Is it ok to sedate children on a flight ?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ok to sedate children on a flight ?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest littlesarah
I would suggest you makes plans to not take them around the world.

I don't have children myself, but I don't think that a person should be forced to spend the majority of their life on the other side of the world from their family just because they happened to have children after moving; or that the families of expats should be barred from visiting either. My sister has children, and I don't believe that she should be banned from visiting her only sister, and bringing her kids to see their aunt, just because someone without children cannot tolerate young ones. I hope to have a family, but I didn't think I'd feel that way until recently - so should I therefore have to choose between my life here and my ageing parents?

In my experience, the majority of parents become quite distressed if their kids are refusing to settle, and are very mindful of other passengers - after all most parents were without children themselves, at one time! Parents who allow their kids to run around and cause havoc, and who don't obey the fasten seatbelt sign during turbulence are another story, as far as I'm concerned - planes are not playgrounds, and aren't necessarily 'child-proof' throughout. But I've only seen that once or twice in the years I've been travelling.

Travelling in a plane inherently involves being in close proximity to other people, and there are a myriad of ways in which others can be annoying - I've had to contend with hour after hour of loud snoring, a group of women with body odour, passengers getting drunk and noisy, those who insist on keeping their reading light angled over my seat when I'm trying to sleep, the ones who call for cabin crew every 30 minutes, etc etc. I don't expect to have a quiet and restful flight when I'm in a metal tube with hundreds of other people, which is why I take steps to deal with such intrusion at my end. The option of flying in a premium cabin really does make for a quieter and more relaxing journey, I found. Oddly enough, it was that experience that led to me formulating a 'strategy' for future trips, and I've found that I can make most flights as pleasant as they can be.

I would definitely suggest careful seat selection to minimise the likelihood of being seated near young children (& can mean only having to sit next to one other person), and the use of ear plugs as necessary as a means of isolating oneself from the irritating behaviours of other passengers.

Edited by littlesarah

Thank you. The rudeness of your response just serves to prove my point, which is that some people believe that the rest of the world is duty bound to love their kids as they themselves do. The fact that a person's right to peace is governed onlu by their wealth is an anachronism. Once again, to make it crystal clear this time, no, children do not belong on medium or long haul flights, their boredom and discomfort is exacted on every other passenger.

Well SRC.... what a caring and compassionate man you are! NOT!

Are you not aware that air travel is not all about you and that the whole population of the world has the right to buy a ticket and travel with their family, wherever they wish? I so hope I never have to travel on a plane next to you at any time!

Or maybe you were the person I had the great misfortune to sit behind on a recent flight from Perth to Sydney. Not only did this person have the worst BO I have ever come across, but he was very loudly abusive to a very emotional young Mum travelling with a 2 week old baby who cried at times. Turns out she didnt want to be travelling at all, but her Mother had just been killed in a road accident so she wanted to be with her family! Said abusive and smelly passenger was rebuked by many other passengers and when it came time to disembark, he was held back in his seat by those sitting around him so the young Mum and her small baby could move through the plane as quickly as possible.

You need to get over your selfishness and consider other people. But I bet you just don't get the moral of the truthful story I have shared above.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I recently went back to the uk in August my little girl just under two, the way there was a total nightmare, it was no problem entertaining her but we couldn't get her to sleep spent hours walking up and down the plane. She finally went to sleep for only two hours and woke up. So only got 2 hours in 14 sleep. She slept in the airport then she was ok for a couple of hours on the next flight then was so tired she wouldn't stop crying for hours the whole flight was asleep and she was so upset abd distressed as she just wouldn't go to sleep!

Both my husband and I had no sleep and found it so hard too. She fell asleep finally for a couple of hours then woke up and got reallyupset and cried the whole time when we landed. We had everything you could imagine to keep her entertained did everything wecould to make it a good flight but she just wouldn't sleep as it was so different! she had 4 hours sleep the whole trip back!!

We were thinking of changing the flight on the way home for a stop over but in the end went to see our family doctor and he prescribed phenergan. The flight was still hard on the way back but she had three hour stretches of sleep when she needed so wasn't drugged Asleep the whole flight as we didn't give her too much. She was a lot happier and better for sleeping and we were better to entertain her when she was awake. She had about 9/10 hours in total the way back, we were all much happier less stressed and Elsie didn't get distressed and upset.

We didn't do this for convenience to us so we could relax we did it so our daughter wasn't so distressed. both my husband and I played and entertained her the whole flight, we just had a bit of help to get her to sleep. Everyone was much happier.

Its a controversial subject and very personal to each parent, I didn't want to drug her on the way there but realized we needed to on theway back for all out sanity. It's not something we took lightly and got advice from our family doctor. I believe we did the right thing and would do it again.

I hope that helps you with your decision.

• Like 1

Medicating kids to send them to sleep can go horribly wrong - ask Kate McCann...

Hopefully when theyre sat right next to you on a plane the possibilty of abduction is minimal. As for poor Kate Mcann, I don't think she would care to comment on the rights and wrongs of medicating children, was it proven that she had sedated Maddie? I didnt know that. I know I would want to closely observe my sedated child for ill effects though

Guest littlesarah

Fundamentally, the vast majority of parents would only consider using sedative antihistamines if they were worried about their child's wellbeing. If a child becomes so distressed and overtired that they cannot calm down, I can see that the risks of a low dose of sedative antihistamine may well be outweighed by the potential benefits of them having enough sleep to avoid that situation. Parents should be given advice about the potential risks of giving any drug to their child, which they can then weigh up before making a decision either way.

Personally, I'm a bit tired of seeing and hearing parents tearing shreds off one another for the choices they make. Parenting is never easy, and every single child is different (even within the same family), so all loving parents can do is their best. If it's not the use of drugs on flights, it's breastfeeding, co-sleeping, attachment parenting, sleep training or some other child-rearing issue that is used by interested parties to stir up debate (quite often with someone selling something in there somewhere, with a clearly vested interest in grabbing attention). The people who neglect and abuse their children: who use heroin to sedate their toddler while they go and earn some money by selling themselves, who are so out of it they don't know or care whether their kids are in school, who use their own or others' offspring for sexual gratification, they are the people we should be drawing attention to, surely?!

Guest littlesarah
Well said sarah! I dont have children but i've noticed how bitchy parents can be to each other, always seem to be judging!

That's something I've noticed, too. Maybe something happens to some people when they have a child that makes them think their way is the only way.

Guest The Pom Queen

I haven't read all this thread but I will say I am against it. The reason why, a number of years ago we received a veterinary memo from the AVA stating the dangers of sedating animals on flights and banning us from continuing this practice. I totally agree with this and the UK were already one step ahead. Now I'm not a Dr who deals with humans but from an animal point of view not only does sedating suppress the animals respiratory system the effect of any sedative drug can multiply at high altitudes.

Now after travelling back on a flight myself after major surgery knowing there were no Drs on board if something went wrong I was quite concerned and that was only a 3 hour flight.

Guest The Pom Queen
I have no children by choice, therefore I find it very selfish of those who choose to have them forcing others to be disturbed by them. To clarify, I don't blame kids, I blame parents who put them in the situation they find unbearable at the cost of all other's sanity...

Don't you realise its people with this attitude who stress parents out which the child picks up on.

There was a poor woman on the flight down to Sydney she had a 6 month old baby and it cried non stop this poor lady got so upset what others would think, she was in tears. I asked if I could help and I took her baby whilst she had a break and walked up and down the aisles rocking him. Her husband was in the defence force and she was visiting her parents so had no support. So maybe instead of judging parents see if you can lend them a hand.

The long flight from the UK to Australia is a bit of a nightmare and I get airsick if it is at all bumpy and 2 of my kids do, too. So we take travel sick pills which do tend to sedate you but it is better than filling those nasty little bags every half hour. When my children were little we had a nightmare flight because a couple of them just could not stop puking ( at this stage I didn't want to drug them because they were still quite young). You just have to weigh up benefits/ costs I guess. Youngsters who are sick like this can get very dehydrated so it might be better to give them a tablet. I wouldn't drug them to make them sleep though- it could be dangerous. I don't mind other peoples' babies but have to admit I don't like the older little shizenhausens who constantly kick the back of your seat and whine and give everyone round them a hard time- I'd just give them a damn good thump and stuff them in the overhead luggage compartment- but we were less tolerant than parents these days!!

• 1 year later...

Interesting debate...bought my phenergen today and copped a lecture from the pharmacist about the risks of zonking out and not moving hence increased risk of DVT, he was very nice about it though....was happy when I told him it didn't knock me out just made me less nauseous and a little sleepy, trialled it at home several times, more able to relax on the flight.

Guest littlesarah

I giggled when I saw that you'd liked my post on this thread, because the last time I flew was with hubby and our baby! No drugs required - he was pretty much the perfect baby on all 4 flights!

Guest littlesarah
I think I'll need to drug myself :eek:

I reckon that the key is to figure out which seats suit you best and then reserve them. Ear plugs, warm socks, comfy clothes and a snuggly jumper. I'm usually exhausted by the time I get to having a holiday, so just crash out at the first opportunity. But if all else fails you could get some meds from your doctor (just don't mix them with alcohol!). Think of the destination, which will be worth every second of the journey! :wubclub:

I reckon that the key is to figure out which seats suit you best and then reserve them. Ear plugs, warm socks, comfy clothes and a snuggly jumper. I'm usually exhausted by the time I get to having a holiday, so just crash out at the first opportunity. But if all else fails you could get some meds from your doctor (just don't mix them with alcohol!). Think of the destination, which will be worth every second of the journey! :wubclub:

Well I like to be on the outside so that I don't have to move everybody if I need a pee but I also like to lean against the window for sleeping so I have to pick one or another lol. I quite enjoyed the films going to America so I should hopefully be okay with that and a book. I'm not a massive fan of flying so the thought of being on it for that long stressed me out a bit :eek:

Guest littlesarah
Well I like to be on the outside so that I don't have to move everybody if I need a pee but I also like to lean against the window for sleeping so I have to pick one or another lol. I quite enjoyed the films going to America so I should hopefully be okay with that and a book. I'm not a massive fan of flying so the thought of being on it for that long stressed me out a bit :eek:

I like the seats at the back where it goes from 3 in a row to 2 - that way there's only one person to get past (or to get past me!). But the downside is that turbulence feels worse at the back.

I always break the journey down into little stages: getting the airport; making my way through security and to the gate; then the first leg; etc, etc. And try not to think about anything beyond the current stage. Though we had to be a bit more forward-thinking with a baby in tow!

I like the seats at the back where it goes from 3 in a row to 2 - that way there's only one person to get past (or to get past me!). But the downside is that turbulence feels worse at the back.

I always break the journey down into little stages: getting the airport; making my way through security and to the gate; then the first leg; etc, etc. And try not to think about anything beyond the current stage. Though we had to be a bit more forward-thinking with a baby in tow!

I use 'Seat Guru' for checking out the seating layout and good/bad seats for nearly every airline and plane. As there are just the two of us then pairs of seats are best otherwise we sit in the middle section so nobody to pass. the best seats by far are on the A380 upstairs (if configured with economy upstairs that is) window seats in pairs with a little cupboard too.

Must say though that I must be one of the few who enjoy the flights, the whole experience from setting off from home to getting to destination. Regarding the flight itself I think it is a bid of a mind-set thing, if your thinking your going to be cooped-up in a silver tube sat on an uncomfortable seat for 12 hours and offered horrible food, then that is what you will get, but, if you think that you can watch all those movies, tv & games, listen to music, have waitress service for meals and drinks, help yourself to snacks, have a walk around, speak to other travelers, not to mention reading or having time for a little nap, then the experience is totally and more enjoyably different.