Self Pack Container - too good to be true?

Taylors4

Guest Guest62720
Make certain your insurance is good if arranging yourselves. There have been some pretty unfortunate cases over the years including more than one instance of the container going overboard.

Insurance for Owner Packed Goods is readily available and will cover all the major perils including the washing overboard of the container but it will not cover damage, scratching, denting or marring of owner packed goods.

It will also cover missing items/shortages as long as you have given the Insurer a valued inventory (not lump sum) of those items you have packed yourself prior to the actual commencement of the shipment.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have now had a quote from Anglo Pacific of £3200 for a self pack 20fter and DFD have quoted £1950 for the same self pack service.

A big difference in the price. Self pack is the only option for us as the maj of our stuff is in Spain so will already be packed before it lands in the UK.

Just got our quote back from DFD. Spoke to them on the phone too. Seems they are getting a lot of enquiries at the minute. Door to door service on self pack only £1950! (Chorley to Perth) MASSIVE saving on the quotes from the usual suspects. We need only find insurance and customs fees in Oz.

Saves us about 2 Grand just for a bit of hard work packing our stuff and getting the container sorted. Probably throw a 'Packing Party' !!! Link is below for those who are interested in getting in touch with them.

Happy Days!! :jiggy:

http://www.dfdshipping.co.uk/Contact-Us.html

Just got our quote back from DFD. Spoke to them on the phone too. Seems they are getting a lot of enquiries at the minute. Door to door service on self pack only £1950! (Chorley to Perth) MASSIVE saving on the quotes from the usual suspects. We need only find insurance and customs fees in Oz.

Saves us about 2 Grand just for a bit of hard work packing our stuff and getting the container sorted. Probably throw a 'Packing Party' !!! Link is below for those who are interested in getting in touch with them.

Happy Days!! :jiggy:

http://www.dfdshipping.co.uk/Contact-Us.html

Kev, have you booked them? I'm just waiting on an insurance quote from BJP Insurance - I'll post on here if they will cover it - Insure your move don't cover self pack if you use a freight forwarder. Just spoken to Letton Percival, they will cover the shipment, lovely chap, 1.3% of shipment plus insurance tax. Don't cover breakages but will cover for missing items. They also don't cover for mildew but if say there is a leakage into the container they will cover the damage caused by it. Hope this helps.

Edited by Taylors4

I just spoke with them quoted £1850 door to door wolverhampton to Melbourne recommended allow up to $1000 for customs but did say if nothing new should be around $300. Also as container is 4ft off ground can hire a recovery vechile that load everything on to and then that lifts into container for £65 per hour. If not ready to receive furniture at other end as shipping is so quick then budget another $1200 for storage and delivery.

how are people getting on with insurance quotes?

​mem

I think self pack will never work for me, don't have the man power to help pack it and decided to take more furniture which I know I couldn't pack properly.

£5000 to £5500 for full pack for me better start saving!!

Im on my own well apart from 12 year son was thinking of hiring a handy man for the day or maybe even two for some muscle still way cheaper than full packed service

We have sent our shipment over on April 3 we leave on Saturday 28th April!! been advised it will take 6 weeks we went with PSS they came in and packed everything they were very organised!!! couldn't have done it better myself and I am very OCD lol!!! 20ft container just under £4k for everything. I would get a few quotes and decide re the service you think you will get rather than how cheap it is.. Doree Bonner were most expensive but did not feel they were professional!! deffo personal choice

Andy of DFD has contacted me this week, but we have never been able to speak at the same time, so finger's crossed I will get a chance in the next few days and will post what he says as we really like his quote.

We have spent all weekend packing our own boxes. It is hard work, making sure everything is clean and packed properly. We have no choice as our boxes will go from Spain via the UK before onward shipment to Oz, but I can understand why people opt for the shippers to pack them.

DFD price is really good are there any reviews of their service anywhere? Every time try and google it just comes up with DFDS reviews

has anyone on here used them already? just a bit wary of the cheapness and the 6 weeks less shipping time how come they can do it but big names can't.

Candy girl I feel for you, we only had to make sure ours were clean as they did everything else! But I found myself cleaning stuff over and over lol! Good luck x

My husband thinks I am on a mission with this "cleaning business". I am washing everything, my poor washing machine gives a sigh everytime I walk into the utility room and I don't really know how really clean things have to be.

I have been washing ornaments before wrapping in the paper and cleaning other bits as much as I can. Just had a row with a space bag and the hoover:biggrin: so decided to take a rest:swoon:

DFD price is really good are there any reviews of their service anywhere? Every time try and google it just comes up with DFDS reviews

has anyone on here used them already? just a bit wary of the cheapness and the 6 weeks less shipping time how come they can do it but big names can't.

I keep missing the Sales Manager, but I think they offer more of a "no frills" service. I am fine with that as long as the container arrives in one piece and on time with the least amount of fuss.

Have just spoken to Andy (Sales Manager) at DFD. He sounds a really good chap and didn't try to blow smoke up my backside, which I liked. The price quoted of £1950 for a 20ft self pack (door to door service) includes all paperwork except quarantine charges which he averages to be $300-500. The company they use at the other end is NMT Clearning http://www.nmtshipping.com/. There is a schedule of sailings on their website, for instance, there is one from Southampton to Perth of 6 weeks, so ties in with their forecast, so why other shippers quote 13 weeks is baffling.

I asked why his quote was so much cheaper than others that I had received. He said they were a freight forwarding company who solely deal in containerised shipping on a large scale all over the world and that is why they can remain competitive and manage to keep their costs low. They are not a removals company.

Hope this helps. I am not recommending this company as I have not used them yet, but just wanted to share what information I have managed to glean from them.

Hi all, Just to say been emailing DFD over last few days-very helpful-a lot lot cheaper (at least less than half) than other quotes we've had in so far (4 and counting!!) and after asking Andy every question under the sun he has been brilliant and very quick in answering all my questions. He Quoted that insurance up to the value of $50,000USD maritime insurance is included in the price, which after looking on the exchange site at monies, seems enough to me in British pounds-approx. £32,779. One less thing to worry about!! Just got to get all the kids packing!!! HA HA

We have had a very reasonable quote of £2050 off DFD for shipping from Sheffield to Brisbane for a 20 foot container. Has said that prices are likely to go up in May by at least £500 as the busier months for shipping start. We basically have 5 days to think about it but this is £800 cheaper than another quote we have had for self pack and load. It's half the price of the full service.

Has anyone else had trouble contacting DFD? I spoke with them on Sat and got quote which they said would hold for 5 days then all day Wed and yesterday unable to get them on phone whichever option I select it rings then plays some music then tells me this extension is unavaliable please leave msg which I did but still no joy.

on another note spoke with a removal firm yesterday to get quote to help pack container and they mentioned that generally in containers for shipping the company secure everything with a big vice like thing which is tightened at the end of the goods to stop anything moving around and that I should ask if this provided - any ideas? They don't internationally ship themselves so no ulterior motive for mentioning device

Has anyone else had trouble contacting DFD? I spoke with them on Sat and got quote which they said would hold for 5 days then all day Wed and yesterday unable to get them on phone whichever option I select it rings then plays some music then tells me this extension is unavaliable please leave msg which I did but still no joy.

on another note spoke with a removal firm yesterday to get quote to help pack container and they mentioned that generally in containers for shipping the company secure everything with a big vice like thing which is tightened at the end of the goods to stop anything moving around and that I should ask if this provided - any ideas? They don't internationally ship themselves so no ulterior motive for mentioning device

Hi Memmymooch, I e-mailed them and Andy rang me back, but I also left a few messages. Don't think you'll find any reviews are they are a freight forwarder, not a removals company, which is why its cheaper - it will be a no frills service. I asked about ratchet straps and they said they provided them, they are a webbing which secures around the boxes/furniture to stop them moving around.

I've booked them, as doing it myself if the only way my stuff is going to get there as really cannot afford the whole pack and ship thing. I would have sold all my stuff and taken a movecube before getting in a removals firm. Would have loved to be able to afford it though!!

I'm luck though that at both ends I've got access to a few strong men who are willing to help. Its a big thing, and who knows how its going to go, but I will keep my experiences posted. We are booking for end of May, I'm going to pay with my credit card, just in case there are any problems, at least it gives a bit of protection.

Hope this helps.

How did you email them? Through the get a quote link? I just asked the removal company for a price to come and help load the container will still pack wrap everything myself just that will struggle with the large things like tall fridge and sofa. Waiting on price though if hundreds won't go with it