Alice Springs-should I or shouldn't I

bev1978

Hi everyone

Ive been offered a job in Alice- I'm a single woman 34. I'd be really interested in all comments positive and negative about people's experience in Alice springs. Specifically the social aspect of living there. I'm a dentist so some of the job would be based in the hospital- a good financial incentive to stay for a year...... Should I shouldn't I??

thanks Bev x

:biglaugh:

Hi everyone

Ive been offered a job in Alice- I'm a single woman 34. I'd be really interested in all comments positive and negative about people's experience in Alice springs. Specifically the social aspect of living there. I'm a dentist so some of the job would be based in the hospital- a good financial incentive to stay for a year...... Should I shouldn't I??

thanks Bev x

:biglaugh:

What visa? Will they transfer you somewhere else? Do you want to go to Aus for good?

I'm currently awaiting the granting of my 189 visa, I applied on feb 14th. So I wouldn't be tied there. If I go to Australia befo the 189 is granted I would have to do it with a 457 of which a 'middle man' who sponsors dentists can do it ASAP....with them obis I would be tied until my 189 granted

thanks Bev

I'm currently awaiting the granting of my 189 visa, I applied on feb 14th. So I wouldn't be tied there. If I go to Australia befo the 189 is granted I would have to do it with a 457 of which a 'middle man' who sponsors dentists can do it ASAP....with them obis I would be tied until my 189 granted

thanks Bev

I suppose it depends on what type of person you are. Alice Springs, as you probably know, is in the middle of Aus and its a long way to anywhere. Saying that if your into your camping and off roading then it would be a great place. Are you a bit of a country girl? Do you like the buzz of a city or a bit more of a laid back lifestyle? In Alice there is a big indigenous population, the health care system and the patients that you would encounter would be something different from what you would be used to and what you would encounter in one of the capital cities.

When you first applied for your 189 where did you think you wanted to go?

I remember when we were in Aus the other year there was a program on tv about the royal flying doctors, there was a British nurse tat was on it and she old fly out to very remote parts of Aus, from Broken Hill I think it was, to help/conduct weekly/monthly clinics, she loved it and said she didn't want to do anything else.

I find some appeal to the idea of living in the outback, although it would never happen for us as not in jobs that transfer well and also the OH does not find the idea appealing.

I do have a bit if a theory that people might be better off living in a metro area to start off with and experimenting with remote Australia through road trips and holidays before taking the plunge in moving there, I think it is hard to understand just how vast this space is.

I think to do it from the start, by yourself I presume, you would need to be a very strong minded, independent person. Somebody who is at peace with their own company and is not going to miss friends after two weeks, it may take time to build up your network there. If there is a great financial incentive then you could also look at it as a way of getting yourself set up for the future, but I reckon dentists make a lot of money anywhere going off the price of dentistry here.

If you're up for a challenge and a bit of adventure, go for it. Alice is very isolated but you can always fly to Darwin for a weekend. The indigenous community have a huge problem with alcohol - it's not a place where you can walk the streets at night. If you're careful and use your common sense you will be safe.

If you're up for a challenge and a bit of adventure, go for it. Alice is very isolated but you can always fly to Darwin for a weekend. The indigenous community have a huge problem with alcohol - it's not a place where you can walk the streets at night. If you're careful and use your common sense you will be safe.

Lived in Alice for a number of years. Huge crime problem, the murder capital of Australia and you never ever walk around at night. The town as a whole has a problem with alcohol abuse, not just the Indigenous people. It is a very racist town and the locals are pretty hard core.

Having said that you would probably forge very strong links with other hospital staff members and there is a strong family presence in the town as well. As a single person it would be very important that you also live in the right part of the town - nowhere near the hospital as that is a rough area.

Alice is not country, it is remote. It does have a lot of facilities though and has everything that you need there. It also has a strong social scene, but you do need to be careful.

Edited by Sammy1

It sounds like a wonderful opportunity to me. Yes, the Aborigines do have a problem with alcohol but you will also meet some wonderful people too. I have not been there but I have been to similar Outback towns - Walgett, Wilcannia - did I mispell that - Bourke. If I was offered the chance to work In "The Alice", or anywhere else, I'd take it - just like I took my one chance to come to Oz itself in 1978.

So, read "A Town Like Alice" & surrender to the romance of the name!

(Hypocrite that I am as I've NOT read it. I did read "Beyond The Black Stump" though & some of "his" others. What is HIS name!?)

My daughter moved to Alice in January this year (she is 30 and single) - she is a nurse at the AS hospital and she LOVES it!!! She has made so many friends already and she says everyone is so friendly, its got a real community feel about it ..... she has been over to Uluru, climbs the mountains nearby, goes to the gym, out every weekend with the girls (she lives in the hospital accommodation) - all in all I would say go for it - if you do I can give you her name etc, she will welcome you (another northern girl)!! Do it ...

My daughter moved to Alice in January this year (she is 30 and single) - she is a nurse at the AS hospital and she LOVES it!!! She has made so many friends already and she says everyone is so friendly, its got a real community feel about it ..... she has been over to Uluru, climbs the mountains nearby, goes to the gym, out every weekend with the girls (she lives in the hospital accommodation) - all in all I would say go for it - if you do I can give you her name etc, she will welcome you (another northern girl)!! Do it ...

I like reading positive posts like yours! Sure there are some drawbacks to moving to the Outback but with the internet, satellite TV, and general improvement in facilities, it's not so onerous. Think of the pioneering spirit of our forbears two hundred years ago!

ps "Nevil Shute" - he emigrated to Australia in the 1950's.

I like reading positive posts like yours! Sure there are some drawbacks to moving to the Outback but with the internet, satellite TV, and general improvement in facilities, it's not so onerous. Think of the pioneering spirit of our forbears two hundred years ago!

ps "Nevil Shute" - he emigrated to Australia in the 1950's.

Positive posts are good, but so equally are the ones that are realistic and from people who lived there for a few years. I read a 'Town Like Alice' when I was a teenager - great novel. However,the actual town is nothing like that at all and for a developed country it has third world poverty, despite the presence of a strong tourism dollar.

It is very very unsafe at night, but as long as the OP does not walk on her own anywhere in the town at night and uses common sense at all times then she should be fine.

The consistent violence and utter despair of the many people living there is heart breaking - as is the racism. The pure isolation can be be soul destroying, but if you can afford to fly out of the town three or four times a year to see something else, any thing else then it can be done.

Edited by Sammy1

Positive posts are good, but so equally are the ones that are realistic and from people who lived there for a few years. I read a 'Town Like Alice' when I was a teenager - great novel. However,the actual town is nothing like that at all and for a developed country it has third world poverty, despite the presence of a strong tourism dollar.

It is very very unsafe at night, but as long as the OP does not walk on her own anywhere in the town at night and uses common sense at all times then she should be fine.

The consistent violence and utter despair of the many people living there is heart breaking - as is the racism. The pure isolation can be be soul destroying, but if you can afford to fly out of the town three or four times a year to see something else, any thing else then it can be done.

We probably need to ask that lady who's daughter is in Alice Springs. Does she feel the need to 'escape' to Sydney or Melbourne several times a year? From the sound of it, NO! Although she may well feel the need to increase the excitement in her life by having the odd city break.

Perhaps you are right and the only white people living there, stay for a few months or years then flee for the safety of the big cities. I suspect that, just in any city or town in Australia there are many people who were born and brought up there, and continue to live there, and many 'New Chums' who move there and love it.

I have not been to a single town or city in Australia that I could not move to and create a new and satisfying life. Even somewhere like Wilcannia, which definitely had the air of somewhere you don't walk the streets after dark.

I would be very interested in your proposals to end the cycle of violence and racism, too. Ban alcohol perhaps? Even without the evil influence of the racist whites, Aborigines have horrible levels of violence against women, children, etc.

We probably need to ask that lady who's daughter is in Alice Springs. Does she feel the need to 'escape' to Sydney or Melbourne several times a year? From the sound of it, NO! Although she may well feel the need to increase the excitement in her life by having the odd city break.

Perhaps you are right and the only white people living there, stay for a few months or years then flee for the safety of the big cities. I suspect that, just in any city or town in Australia there are many people who were born and brought up there, and continue to live there, and many 'New Chums' who move there and love it.

I have not been to a single town or city in Australia that I could not move to and create a new and satisfying life. Even somewhere like Wilcannia, which definitely had the air of somewhere you don't walk the streets after dark.

I would be very interested in your proposals to end the cycle of violence and racism, too. Ban alcohol perhaps? Even without the evil influence of the racist whites, Aborigines have horrible levels of violence against women, children, etc.

With respect you have never visited nor lived there and don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Domestic violence is not limited to colour,race or nationality. I should know as my ex husband was a white Alice Springs man who liked to drink and hit on a regular basis.

I certainly never fled for the safety of the 'big cities' as you put it - have always lived in regional NT and WA.

Racism is rife in the Alice and your post is offensive.The abject poverty in the Alice is shocking and heartbreaking, but then you wouldn't know as you have never lived there.

Edited by Sammy1

With respect you have never visited nor lived there and don't have a clue about what you are talking about. Domestic violence is not limited to colour,race or nationality. I should know as my ex husband was a white Alice Springs man who liked to drink and hit on a regular basis.

I certainly never fled for the safety of the 'big cities' as you put it - have always lived in regional WA.

Racism is rife in the Alice and your post is offensive.The abject poverty in the Alice is shocking and heartbreaking, but then you wouldn't know as you have never lived there.

Of course domestic violence is not limited to any race or nationality but my point is that people like you make excused for Aborigines just because they are black. Do you think that before the white man came to Australia the different tribes all lived peaceably together, with no warfare, no violence, no abuse of wives and children.

Why do I have to live or visit a particular town or city to be allowed to comment on issues that are common to every city and town in Australia? Just as many Aborigines live in Sydney, probably many more in fact than in Alice Springs. I come in contact with them every day. I even met a very attractive Aboriginal lady in one of my locals the other week.

Are you telling me that if I moved to Alice Springs, after thirty years living in other parts of Australia, that I would not enjoy living there? Rubbish. And as i said before, Iv'e visited similar Outback towns with similar problems to Alice Springs - Wilcannia, Walgett, Bourke.

If I was offered a job in Alice Springs, or any other city or town in Australia, I'd take it.

Of course domestic violence is not limited to any race or nationality but my point is that people like you make excused for Aborigines just because they are black. Do you think that before the white man came to Australia the different tribes all lived peaceably together, with no warfare, no violence, no abuse of wives and children.

Why do I have to live or visit a particular town or city to be allowed to comment on issues that are common to every city and town in Australia? Just as many Aborigines live in Sydney, probably many more in fact than in Alice Springs. I come in contact with them every day. I even met a very attractive Aboriginal lady in one of my locals the other week.

Are you telling me that if I moved to Alice Springs, after thirty years living in other parts of Australia, that I would not enjoy living there? Rubbish. And as i said before, Iv'e visited similar Outback towns with similar problems to Alice Springs - Wilcannia, Walgett, Bourke.

If I was offered a job in Alice Springs, or any other city or town in Australia, I'd take it.

'People like me' ????

Your post reeks of ignorance and is frankly so insulting it is almost funny, but that's ok as you clearly are totally unaware of the reality of remote NT.

'People like me' ????

Your post reeks of ignorance and is frankly so insulting it is almost funny, but that's ok as you clearly are totally unaware of the reality of remote NT.

just as your post reeks of ignorance about the realities of life in Sydney and Outback NSW towns. Just as a matter of interest, what issues are different in Alice Springs compared to say, Walgett, Wilcannia, Bourke? What issues are different in cities like Sydney?

'I have lived there and you have not, therefore you have no right to voice an opinion!'

just as your post reeks of ignorance about the realities of life in Sydney and Outback NSW towns. Just as a matter of interest, what issues are different in Alice Springs compared to say, Walgett, Wilcannia, Bourke? What issues are different in cities like Sydney?

'I have lived there and you have not, therefore you have no right to voice an opinion!'

The only area that I voiced an opinion about was the Alice because I have years of experience of living there. You are digging yourself into a hole.

The only area that I voiced an opinion about was the Alice because I have years of experience of living there. You are digging yourself into a hole.

If that is the case, then nobody should have been allowed to express an opinion about South Africa and its apartheid policies unless they had 'years of experience of living there.' Similarly, nobody should be allowed to express an opinion about anything that happened before they were born because they did not live through it.

You're a bit of a worry aren't you MaryRose?

It's almost bizarre the way that you have really twisted this thread around to your own purposes. I simply came on here to give an honest,realistic and experience based assessment of Alice Springs to the original OP.You have managed to insult many in such a short time frame - well done and goodnight.

Guest chris955

Getting back to the subject, as has been said it has a BAD reputation with lots of (especially)alcohol related violence. It is extremely isolated and you really have to be a certain type to thrive in that sort of place. As someone else said if you like an adventure and you go in with your eyes wide open then go for it.

You're a bit of a worry aren't you MaryRose?

It's almost bizarre the way that you have really twisted this thread around to your own purposes. I simply came on here to give an honest,realistic and experience based assessment of Alice Springs to the original OP.You have managed to insult many in such a short time frame - well done and goodnight.

Yes, you are quite right. I shall wear my hair shirt to bed tonight.

Mea culpa. She was right. It sounds even more scary than Johannesburg, or perhaps Soweto. I'm not going there after all.

In 2009 there were 1432 recorded assaults in Alice Springs,[3] with 65% of assaults involving alcohol.[3] Reported assaults had almost doubled since 2004.[3] The Territory's Southern Region Police Commander, Anne-Marie Murphy said that itinerancy, domestic violence and alcohol were the main factors driving up crime rates.[3]

In the 2009-10 financial year, the Northern Territory Justice Department's Quarterly Crime & Justice Statistics report recorded that there were 1632 reported cases of theft, and 906 reports of property damage in Alice Springs.[5][6] 774 homes and businesses were broken into during the 2009-10 financial year.[5][6]

[h=3][edit] Crime increase[/h]The NT Justice Department's Quarterly Crime & Justice Statistics report documented increases across multiple categories of crime in Alice Springs in the 6 years between the 2004-05 and the 2009-10 reporting periods.[6] Recorded cases of assault rose by 87%,[6] sexual assault offences rose by 97%,[6] and house break-ins increased by 64%.[6]

Break-ins to commercial premises rose by 185%,[6] and 'motor vehicle theft and related offences' increased by 97%[6] on 2004-05 figures.[6]

[h=2][edit] Response to crime[/h]In 2008, the Alice Springs town council began to hire private security guards to patrol the town, at a cost of $5000 per week.[4] The Northern Territory government has been accused of underfunding social services for Aboriginal people in Alice Springs,[4] as part of a wider problem of underfunding across central Australia.[4] Alice Springs Mayor Damien Ryan has indicated that crime has increased as more people migrated into the city from remote communities.[7]

Some long-time residents of Alice Springs have moved away as a direct result of crime concerns.[1] Local businesses have spent increased amounts to upgrade the physical security of their premises from property crime,[7][5] including the use of high security fences, razor wire and security cameras.[7][5]

Getting back to the subject, as has been said it has a BAD reputation with lots of (especially)alcohol related violence. It is extremely isolated and you really have to be a certain type to thrive in that sort of place. As someone else said if you like an adventure and you go in with your eyes wide open then go for it.

But ponmie , Alice has a hotel where most of the work is , most of the crime and kick offs are in the Indigenous communities , ie Liam jarrah who played for the Melbourne demons