Residency through student visa!

PoMoSo

So why do you want to study if you have the points already? How does your skill assessment look? I received my PR very fast but that was under a different system. Personally unless you are incredibly qualified and experienced I would not suggest coming here on anything but a PR. Getting a decent job is hard, what counts is Australian experience, which you won't have. Not trying to spoil the party, but thats just my experience.

I just thought that it would be easier to get a PR with 5 points more. That would give me a total of 70 points, assuming that I finish the two year studies in Oz before I turn 32 years old. I don't have any experience in my field at all, and I'm not incredibly qualified either.

I wont be able to apply for my skills assessment until I finish my masters here, which would be just before the summer of 2014. I also thought that, while studying in Oz, I could perhaps get a job in my field, and get an additional 5 points on the points test. But I've read that in Oz, what matters is experience, and especially Australian experience as you said. If you don't have it, chances are you're not getting a decent job!

Can I ask you how many points you got on the points test when you applied?

You are assuming way too much if you ask me. First get you skill assessment and IELTS, this is what you will need no matter what. Summer 2014 is far away and who knows if your job is even on the SOL by then. I applied before skill select but from what I hear people are getting invited with 65 points all the time. In any case, 2 years studying just to boost your points from 65 to 70 makes very little sense.

Guest Geordie lass

In order to apply for a visa through skill select, you only need to get 60 points. They wouldn't count any points above that anyway. As long as you have 60 points and meet the visa criteria then you should be ok to apply. Michelle.

You are assuming way too much if you ask me. First get you skill assessment and IELTS, this is what you will need no matter what. Summer 2014 is far away and who knows if your job is even on the SOL by then. I applied before skill select but from what I hear people are getting invited with 65 points all the time. In any case, 2 years studying just to boost your points from 65 to 70 makes very little sense.

Could not agree more! You would get an invite with 65 points, that is five more than lots of people who already have their pr! You have just as much chance of your job bring taken off the list wherever you are, so save your self the huge costs and finish your studies where you are. You don't need those five points, you have enough already!

I think what you are massively neglecting is the actual need for real world work experience, post qualification.

True, but thats necessarily relevant for the visa process in this case.

The weather is an issue, I mean we're soon in April and its still freezing winter cold in Sweden. The tax system is also a big deal here, if you make good money, which would be AUD 5,000 a month here, you'd be paying at least half of it in taxes. The other half would go to rent and other bills. And if you'd be getting a mortgage or other loans, you will be left with almost nothing. So if you are planning to save money in Sweden, the only way is really making illegal money.

The other thing is, no one in my family really want to live here anymore, we have been here for 25 years, and for as long as I can remember, we've been talking about leaving Sweden. I've done a research, and It seems as if Oz is the easiest country to immigrate with a Swedish/EU citizenship, plus its an English speaking country, we dont know any other languages. And on top of that, Oz got sun and beaches. I mean Sweden has beaches too, but they've been frozen for the past 6 months.

I don't know what you did while you were in Australia (exchange student?) but if you want to move just because of lesser taxes and sunshine - forget it. Yes you earn more in Australia and pay less taxes but you will struggle to keep your Swedish lifestyle even on a decent salary. As for the sunshine, it gets old really quickly.

About the sunshine and tax talks, I guess I was just rambling on and on trying to find more reasons to pursue this dream of mine. As for the Swedish lifestyle, I just moved back to Sweden after nearly 10 years of living in three different continents, the lifestyle here is not worth the stay. Plus, despite all the promotion Sweden gets from UK/US/German governments about their handling of the economy, the living standard Sweden had 10-15 years ago, is no longer around. Employment laws are changing pretty fast, and I mean we all have fancy gadgets n stuff, and thats what most people today are referring to when they talk of living standards, but but everything else is gradually fading away.

About SkillSelect, is it not true (or have i totally misunderstood it) that you create a profile, and Aussie employers can check it, assuming you score more than 60, to see if they want to hire you or not. And when this match has been made, only then are you invited to apply for a permanent/temp residency?

I also believe I read on the immi website that, while your score on the points test dont matter as long as its above 65, with the SkillSelect, the more points you have, the better chance you have of getting an invitation. So basically, they'll start with ppl with high points, and move down the list. Now on LinkedIn, I've seen alot of ppl applying through SkillSelect with pretty astonishing CVs. That was what scared me abit about to apply through SkillSelect.

About SkillSelect, is it not true (or have i totally misunderstood it) that you create a profile, and Aussie employers can check it, assuming you score more than 60, to see if they want to hire you or not. And when this match has been made, only then are you invited to apply for a permanent/temp residency?

In theory, maybe. You would still need to find a sponsor, given your situation this would be highly unlikely without being in Australia.

I also believe I read on the immi website that, while your score on the points test dont matter as long as its above 65, with the SkillSelect, the more points you have, the better chance you have of getting an invitation. So basically, they'll start with ppl with high points, and move down the list. Now on LinkedIn, I've seen alot of ppl applying through SkillSelect with pretty astonishing CVs. That was what scared me abit about to apply through SkillSelect.

I believe the cutoff is 60 points and as I said, the point score is not really relevant right now as long as it meets the minimum. You need to get your basics done before worrying about your points above and beyond what you need! Take the IELTS. Get your qualification assessed.

I totally agree. I keep pondering whether or not to do whatever all the time. And Im probably the immi websites no. 1 visitor at the moment. I dont know if it would be better to get an agent or to do everything yourself. Ive read on this forum that the ones who got an agent were really satisfied, but the ones who did it all by themselves, were more satisfied they didnt have to pay whatever fees agents require.

To be honest , Rules change suddenly and so does the policy on Immigration. So, the study option is a bit risky.

Get an Agent and since you have a bachelors..I Presume......get some other option sorted out which will make your pathway easier and economical . Trust me with a good agent, your life will be made easier...processing, documentation , updating on changing rules and requirements of state governments ,sols etc etc etc

Cheers

MS

It is not true about skills select that you only get invited if an employer is interested in you. That part of it is not really new, and I have NEVER heard of one person getting a job like that. You can apply for state sponsorship if your job is on their list, which gives you slightly more chance. Other than that, if you hit the points mark you are invited to apply for a skilled independent visa. Once you have that visa you can go anywhere in oz, and do any job. Far better.

Your above comments about SkillSelect show that you do not have even a basic understanding of how the system works or operates in practice.

The plan you are proposing of studying in Australia for two years is expensive and fraught with danger, as no one knows what the Regulations will look like in two years time.

It appears that you may already be eligible to start the Australian Permanent Residency process.

Considering the lengths you are willing to take to pursue your dream of moving to Australia and your obvious lack of understanding of the system, I find it astounding that you have not sought any professional advice to gain some clarity.

Well, I initially had a quick look at SkillSelect! Clearly I misunderstood how it works. Thats why I went on to search for other options. And I am currently considering getting some professional advice. Especially now that Ive read the various options SkillSelect offers. I have also checked what my relevant assessment authority requires from me to provide me with a positive skills assessment. Seeing how I dont have any work experience within my field, and I have a year left before I get my masters, I have two options too so to get as many of the skills that they require.

First one is obviously, get a job in my field. Second one is, to apply for a couple of independent courses. This should by the summer of 2014 give me enough of the skills required. Just one question, when they assess your skills, can I only provide that body with a full degree/work experience OR can I also provide them a couple of completed independent courses?

I also want to say thanks to all of you for all your comments! I was quite lost until only a few days ago, but I feel like I have better understanding of matters now. If it would be OK to add some independent courses, then I will seek to do that for the coming 14 months, sit the IELTS exam, and contact an immi agent around new year sometime, and apply for a PR through SkillSelect in the summer of 2014. Sounds like a better plan right?

Much love to all!

Hi PoMoSo

I am a POM and moved to Aus in 2008 to study on a student visa. After graduating I moved onto the graduate visa (485) while sorting our my PR application which I'm on now, though I have just submitted my PR application (189).

So - though I didn't study in Oz to get PR (I genuinely wanted to study here, that was my sole intention), it has worked out well for me. Expensive, but nonetheless it's been great. I have lived out here for 5 years and had I studied/worked in the UK to get to necessary points, well I doubt I'd be out here yet.

So - good luck. If you can justify the expense, and are genuinely wanting to study here - then go for it.

LlamainOz

Archived