Residency through student visa!

PoMoSo

Hi all!

I guess the title of this thread speaks for itself!

This is the option that I'm considering! Study two years, after that, I'll be able to score 65 points, and then apply for a PR.

Has anyone gone through this route? A nickel for your thoughts ... any and all thoughts!

Rather risky and not cheap. There is no guarantee at the end of it and as things tighten up, even less chance than there might have been before. Better to train in Sweden and get skills and experience I would have thought.

@Rupert:

I should have mentioned that by the end of this year I'll received my master, and with what I'm intending to study in Australia, I should be able to get a positive skills assessment for at least four of the ACS nominated skills on the SOL. And this I really only base on the skills I've read ACS requires of you to give you a positive skills assessment.

@Quoll:

Agreed! Its not gonne be cheap! But I need to work at least 3 years in my field to get 5 points on the points test. Studying in Oz for two years already gives you 5 points. And my problem is that, if I stay in Sweden for another three years, I'll be 32+. Then I wont be able to get 30 points for my age, and I instead get 25 points. So actually, by staying in Sweden for 3 years, I'll be getting the same points that I can get now.

@blossom79:

Yup, I read that on the immi website somewhere. Immi has a list of all countries, in which each country is scored depending on the risk that student of that particular country attempting to stay after their studies. Fortunately, the category Sweden is in on the list, is the countries with the least risk of a student attempting to stay after completing two years of studies.

Thing is, I'm not sure whether or not this is the right way. I've read success stories of others going the same path, but also read people who after they studied struggled for a couple of years until getting a PR.

Is there anyone else on the forum with some experience or info regarding such a route? I've read that some of the forums members are immi agents or lawyers. I'd be extremely grateful if ppl could provide me with some sort of help!

@Joanna82:

Yea, the tuition fees will all in all be 42 large ones. That is kind of alot. Although, for the first year, I'll be getting a grant from the Swedish government. But that money only includes tuition fees and no more.

But I've also thought about the working holiday visa. I only have 13 months left before I'm over 30, so that option is only for now. What scares me abit, is that, for the past year, Ive been working my behind off trying to save up as much money as possible for the tuition fee of the second year. If I'd go on a working holiday visa, I will need to use that money. And I dont know if thats a good idea. I mean, ideally, I'll land a job, preferably in my field, and I dont even need to study at uni, coz I've been a uni student for 6 years, and I have had enough of studying and I want to work! But if I'd loose that money, then I'll also loose the ability of financing my second year at uni in Oz if that would be necessary.

Although, I have a friend who left for Melbourne just recently on a working holiday visa, he didnt have a uni degree, but got a job in a restaurant after only 2 months, and thats what he got after looking for work for a week.

Did you, Joanna82, go on a working holiday visa?

@Tickled Pink:

True! But that thread kind of got lost, and I guess I wrote too much in detail everything about the move my have family is planning on, which maybe made many not reply to the thread. So I figured I start a new one, but keep my situation more simple this time!

@Tickled Pink:

True! But that thread kind of got lost, and I guess I wrote too much in detail everything about the move my have family is planning on, which maybe made many not reply to the thread. So I figured I start a new one, but keep my situation more simple this time!

Fair enough! :)

I think I am just about the only person who posts on here (more than just in the employer sponsored time line threads) who came on a student visa.

Have you looked to see if you need work experience to get a positive skills assessment yet? That will add time on. As I said on the other thread, they changed what you needed for my skills assessment when I was 20 hours off. Had they not taken my job off the list I was then pushed over into the 30 years old bracket, so did the ielts just to have the job removed so the ielts was a total waste of time and money.

I REALLY advise against it.

@Blossom79:

To get a positive skills assessment for my field, the ACS on the info brochure says that you either need to have worked with certain tasks or studied certain courses. I was hoping to get a positive skills assessment with only having studied those, or similar courses. I do agree, it is a real gamble. And things can change. Just now I saw on the immi website that they've removed one of the visa's I was considering. It was a visa allowing you to stay up to 18 months in Oz, after having studied for 2 years. Or maybe I just cant find it anymore.

But if I would go for the working holiday visa, is there any real chance of me getting a job to increase my work experience for getting a positive skills assessment? I know here in Sweden most ppl complain how hard it is getting a job, but i reckon most of those ppl are too lazy to look for a job. Unemployment is 6 or 7% now, but ppl here just dont really try hard enough to find a job.

The visa that you're referring to is the 485 temporary graduate visa, and it's still there, but I think they have implemented a new change to the visa effective to make the 18 months to 24 months. Though I haven't seen the new change on the website yet!

Cheers! I thought to myself, oh no!!! They've removed that option!

I know you've been kind of warning me against this option, and i do admit i am abit scared! But i mean, you've been in Oz now for some time right, and you have a PR now if I've understood it correctly. Was it not worth the struggle? I dont know where you are originally from, if you care to share it?

Also, at the moment m doing an MPhil in informatics. My thesis, which I will start with from after the summer, will be about doing a comparative study on ehealth progress in 2 countries, Oz and Sweden. Would such a thesis maybe help me get a job? Or I'm I just hoping to much?

Also to add, thats the second option I'm considering. Should I not after two years of uni studies get a PR, then I could apply for the 485 temporary graduate visa, and maybe thereafter try getting a PR would be easier!

Guest Geordie lass

Just thought I would add my experience. I came over to Oz in Jan 2012 on a 573 student visa. Even though the course has cost me $46k in total over the two years and having to support myself and my daughter for two years during full time studying, I do not regret a single decision I have made in moving over here to study. It's the best thing I have done, and yes it is tough doing the 2 year study and not knowing whether PR status will come after that, but I love Oz and its worth the costs!! I brought over my dog and furniture in the hope that after two years I will get PR, but of course that is not absolute. I will still have to have my skills assessed on my Oz qualification and sit the IELTS test as well as medicals.. So, still a long way to go. You just need to do what you think is best for you. Personally, I would not change what I have done in order to come to Oz, but you just have to make sure that you can support yourself for the two year study period. Good luck with whatever you decide. Take care, Michelle

@Michelle:

Thanks! Thats what I've been thinking all along too. About financing the stay, I only have enough money for the tuition of the two years. But no money on top of that whatsoever. Btw, have you been able to get a job while being a student? Alternatively, I could leave for Oz 6 months later, and save up some more cash! I should still, after studying two years in Oz, be able to score a min of 65 on the points test.

@flag of convenience:

To be honest, in the past 10 years I've lived in four countries, Oz being one of them. And really, there is no place like Australia. Every country has its ups and downs, but theres more than the weather in Oz that makes it special.

I have been here five years just over. I got pr four months ago. I cried like a baby (in the middle of my work place) when I was told as it was SO stressful not knowing if it would happen.

Given my time again no I wouldn't have come. I would have got myself a profession which was in demand while in the uk, starting off far earlier than I did. Hubbie and I met in oz in 1999 so we knew from then that we wanted to come.

I don't enjoy being a student, mostly because of the lack of interest other students have. It was a hard two years studying full time and trying to work 20 hours a week too. It put a big strain on my relationship.

Then there was the stress of all the changes. I should have been able to apply for pr one month after my course ended.

I ended up having to find a company who were willing and eligable to sponsor me. We got turned down first time at the first hurdle for that too.

For the next two years, if I want to keep my pr I have to stay working in a far from ideal job on crap money compared to what I could earn in my previous field.

I had three companies who wanted to sponsor me in my last field (two while I was still in the uk). My job was that unusual that it wasn't on any list so couldn't even be sponsored for an rsms even though it required a diploma and licences. This has since changed. We hind site I could have waited it out and come over doing a job I loved, for good money. My whole life has been set back by five years. I am at the point in my life where I would like to start a family, but I can't. I can't get a good mortgage because my wage is not great, and I have to work in my job for the next 20 months to keep my visa.

The cost to my life has been too great. I am obviously glad I am here now, but my life wasn't terrible in the uk. Financially we were far better off in the uk. Our standard of living was better. The only things better here are the weather and space. Honestly, that is all, although they are pretty big things for us.

I'm waffling now lol.

First of I moved from Sweden myself so if you have any specific questions I might be able to help (just offering). I applied for PR first and to be honest I wouldn't go down the road you are suggesting. Maybe if you were older, after 40 your point scores diminish rather quickly. Maybe I am missing something here but why do you even need to study, just to get 5 points as you say in your first post? Or to get a positive skill assessment?

@blossom79:

Yea, I keep forgetting the visa fees. I reckon, all in all all visa fees will amount to some AUD 10,000. And I only have enough for the tuition fees. Nothing for living costs or anything. But working and studying at the same time, I'm currently doing both, fulltime. And been doing it for the past 7 months. And I really need a long holiday somewhere sunny!

The weather is an issue, I mean we're soon in April and its still freezing winter cold in Sweden. The tax system is also a big deal here, if you make good money, which would be AUD 5,000 a month here, you'd be paying at least half of it in taxes. The other half would go to rent and other bills. And if you'd be getting a mortgage or other loans, you will be left with almost nothing. So if you are planning to save money in Sweden, the only way is really making illegal money.

The other thing is, no one in my family really want to live here anymore, we have been here for 25 years, and for as long as I can remember, we've been talking about leaving Sweden. I've done a research, and It seems as if Oz is the easiest country to immigrate with a Swedish/EU citizenship, plus its an English speaking country, we dont know any other languages. And on top of that, Oz got sun and beaches. I mean Sweden has beaches too, but they've been frozen for the past 6 months.

I really dont know whats right or wrong and I've accepted that if we do take this move, its gonne be HELL for the first years, but everything has its price right? Alternatively, we all stay in Sweden. Alternatively, we all stay in Sweden, after all, we all have good jobs and job prospects here. Plus we understand the society. But what worries me is, if we stay here, but keep dreaming of leaving the country all the time, we will never really be happy. And now Im waffling! :)

First of I moved from Sweden myself so if you have any specific questions I might be able to help (just offering). I applied for PR first and to be honest I wouldn't go down the road you are suggesting. Maybe if you were older, after 40 your point scores diminish rather quickly. Maybe I am missing something here but why do you even need to study, just to get 5 points as you say in your first post? Or to get a positive skill assessment?

Wow thats great! I guess you'd be able to help alot then since we'd be kind of in the same situation. Where in Oz are you now?

Yep, the only reason for studying is really to get 5 points. I really dont want to be studying any longer to be honest. Plus my brother is coming with me, and he got a british law degree, so he needs to convert his degree to an Oz one, plus get a certificate to be able to practice law in Oz.

I can currently (assuming I can score 8 in IELTS which i probably could) get 65 points on the point test. For my age right now, I get 30 points, but in 26 months, I will only get 25 points. I should be able to get a positive skills assessment after I finish my masters here, and should be able to qualify for either an ICT business analyst or a systems analyst.

How many points did you get when you applied for a PR? How much did you wait after you applied until you got your PR?

Archived