Flying with 3 children! Eeek

Team Edwards

Hi

Does anyone know if there is restrictions in terms if adult to child ratio when flying to Australia?

We are looking into the 'possibility' of my husband flying out to Australia for a job. Myself and our 3 cherubs would need to follow 8 weeks or so later.

Kids ages 6, 4 and 18 month! I know........not an experience i would look forward to but if needs must and all that! Have looked on various websites and can't find anything which suggests that if i am mad enough to endure such a task then it would be ok......?!?!

Thanks

x

Hi

Does anyone know if there is restrictions in terms if adult to child ratio when flying to Australia?

We are looking into the 'possibility' of my husband flying out to Australia for a job. Myself and our 3 cherubs would need to follow 8 weeks or so later.

Kids ages 6, 4 and 18 month! I know........not an experience i would look forward to but if needs must and all that! Have looked on various websites and can't find anything which suggests that if i am mad enough to endure such a task then it would be ok......?!?!

Thanks

x

The rule is that every child below 2 years will be accompanied by a parent or someone, because the baby will be tied with your safety belt on your lap during take-off and landing.

Kids above 2 years have there own seats and it is not a issue. So you would do fine as you are travelling with your 18 months old.

This was a problem for us when our twins were under 2 years of age ;) and my wife could not travel alone. Now she has developed a habit and does not travel alone mostly :)

Personally we flu accross with two at similar ages to your younger two and there was two of us. The trouble we had was four people over three seats for along period (trying to sleep) and the seatbelt sign popping on and off , not saying it can't be done. When are you thinking of flying

Susan

When we flew, we had a 7, 4 and 18month, we paid for the extra seat for the baby after living with her on my knee to Tenerifie, I couldn't have done it to OZ. Not sure if its the same now as this was 5 years ago but we had a car seat with us that strapped into the plane, pain to carry about the airports but a god send when you could just strap her in, like the car, and she slept easier. When we were on OZ, we had to get some antihistamine for her, that was great stuff for the return journey!!!Toto

I used to do it on my own. It'll make life easier if you book your 18 month old his/her own seat. S/he'll have to sit on your lap for take off and landing iirc, but at least you'll have your own space during the flight. I'd also check with the airline re headphones for children and if they don't supply them (even if they do, imo!)buy some that fit well before leaving. It was one of the hardest things, trying to keep too large headphones on small heads - kids got very frustrated when they kept slipping down to their shoulders!

I also bought new toys and put them in backpacks - little things like new dolls, Sylvanian Families, little books etc. They loved opening the bags on the plane and discovering new things to play with.

good luck. It was never as bad as I anticipated!

We flew to Oz and back during February with our 22 month old son. We didn't book him a seat, but did have the bassinet on all four flights. It worked really well going out because we had overnight flights. Coming back, they were during the day which was harder. I'm not sure whether a seat of his own would have worked, to be honest. He probably would have been out of it more than he was in it. In your situation though, with only one pair of adult hands, I think I'd play it safe and book that extra seat.

We flew Singapore Air and would heartily recommend them. They were brilliant with children and Changi airport is a great place to spend a few hours. We spent nine hours there, booked a transit hotel room for 7 hours and it allowed us to freshen up, sleep a little go for a swim and relax. We arrived in Oz wondering why people complained so much about the flight.

The only problem we had was one dickhead across the aisle, tutting and shaking his head when our son cried a little during the flight.

We flew to Oz and back during February with our 22 month old son. We didn't book him a seat, but did have the bassinet on all four flights. It worked really well going out because we had overnight flights. Coming back, they were during the day which was harder. I'm not sure whether a seat of his own would have worked, to be honest. He probably would have been out of it more than he was in it. In your situation though, with only one pair of adult hands, I think I'd play it safe and book that extra seat.

We flew Singapore Air and would heartily recommend them. They were brilliant with children and Changi airport is a great place to spend a few hours. We spent nine hours there, booked a transit hotel room for 7 hours and it allowed us to freshen up, sleep a little go for a swim and relax. We arrived in Oz wondering why people complained so much about the flight.

The only problem we had was one dickhead across the aisle, tutting and shaking his head when our son cried a little during the flight.

There is always one.....he must never have been a child himself then!

Honestly many people on a flight have travelled with little ones and will sympathise. TBH I am amazed at how good most kids are on long haul flights. The stewards can be very helpful if you ask nicely too.

I recently flew from Dublin to Launceston via Abu Dhabi and Melbourne with a 4.5 month old and 20 month old with Ethiad. We left in the morning which meant all the excitement could continue and playing occurred whilst i still had energy. Then everyone slept for the next leg. I would strongly recommend buying a seat for the 18 month old.

This would mean you could have four seats together. Make sure you are located near the loos!

I used a harness (mothercare) for the toddler to strap her in additionally to the seat. We also took a sleeping bag for her. If you get one with slits in it for vehicles they can be strapped in with the seat belt whilst sleeping. As plane seats are slippery they will need to be strapped in anyway to prevent them slipping off!

Some airports provide free strollers which would save the hassle of carrying one.

Try not to take too much stuff as its a hassle to load and unload from stroller / trolley to overhead lockers.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Everyone! Some good points and advise! Thanks more for the positive feedback! TBH was expecting a few negative comments about taking 3 kids on a long haul flight on my own!!!!!! I stumbled upon this forum a few days ago and lets say there were some very negative comments about mums travelling alone with 'uncontrollable' children!!!!!!

Overall i'm not too nervous about it. My three kids are generally well behaved, obviously it's my 18 month old (who has yet been on a plane) that will be high maintenance!! Dreading when food arrives (that's hard enough when there is two adults to sort the three kids!) and of course visiting the loo (mainly for my 4 year old as I will need to take 18 month old for each wee stop!).

Before child number 3 arrived we visited Australia for a holiday and to validate our visas (woohoo!) with my older two (age 4 and 2 then) and i have to say they were just amazing on the flight! They virtually slept the first 8 hours! The return back to the UK was good too despite my then 4 year old daughter having broke her leg on day 6 of our hols!!!!! The upside of this was we seen a little Aussie Health Care at Coffs Harbour Hospital and my god it was so much better than the UK!

Thanks again and fingers crossed we can all fly out together a family!

xx

Like I said. We all need to be reminded we were all kids once. I am in my 50s but travelled with babies from 3 months. At first I was up tight about them crying etc on a plane now I am just amazed that kids are so good considering. You best friends on a flight are often older than you think, grandparents are the best even if they are not related!

We are in a similar situation, but flying with only two babies, aged almost 4 and 14 months.

I came here in Australia alone first too, to secure a job and a rental, but I will fly back for one week to help my wife before leaving and most of all during the flight.

She is really good with our kids and they are also well behaved, but I preferred to manage the long flight with 2 adults vs 2 babies :)

I could reserve a bassinet only for the first leg of our journey, unfortunately from Dubai to Brisbane they are all booked up... ;(

I have selected a row of four with the two of us in the aisle seats and our 4 yo in a central seat.

I hope the flight will not be booked up and they will let us the 4 row seats for us....

Lets hope that when we fly out 'you lot' are sitting near me on the flight!

We haven't booked flights yet, we are looking to go early August. My husband is talking to a few companies who have asked if he could fly out earlier, hence the single parent flying with kids question! We are just waiting for the 5 month waiting period after our dog has had her Rabies Jab. She should be clear to fly early July... it's all go! All exciting! Can't wait!!!!!!

Where are you heading to dredg97?

Where are you heading to dredg97?

I am in Brisbane now, it took me 5 weeks to get a job, and I was based in Perth...

Found the job in Brisbane so I moved in Queensland.

Wife and babies are at home in Europe, I will come back in 3 weeks to take them all here, I already spoke to my Employer and they are fine with this...

I was able to secure a rental (6 months lease, unfortunately I couldn't get more) and I will try to arrange some furniture before leaving, get a car...etc...a lot of stuff, it will be a very busy month...

Archived