house prices up £142 a day UK

KIRK AND CO

Guest chris955

It seems as though the houses not selling are largely those that are overpriced, that seems to be the case around here.

Wishful thinking. Number of sales are down but the average is higher? What does that tell you? That rich people are buying expensive houses. It can't recover anytime soon because mortgage lending is strict and people are earning less so that means your average family would struggle to buy a house at £250-300K. Its amazing how figures can be manipulated to give false reports!

It seems as though the houses not selling are largely those that are overpriced, that seems to be the case around here.

That's always the knack though, knowing what is overpriced. When we sold our house when we emigrated we had it valued at 53,000 pounds and sold it privately for 50,000. I guess people, like my niece currently, who have been in negative equity and want to sell for whatever reason can't afford to let go at what other people see as a decent price.

Guest chris955
Wishful thinking. Number of sales are down but the average is higher? What does that tell you? That rich people are buying expensive houses. It can't recover anytime soon because mortgage lending is strict and people are earning less so that means your average family would struggle to buy a house at £250-300K. Its amazing how figures can be manipulated to give false reports!

Interesting, the facts dont seem to agree with your assessment.

http://m.guardian.co.uk/business/2013/mar/12/uk-house-sales-high-rics-cheap-mortgages

I hope some of you kept faith & held on & not sold at rock bottom prices.

Hi

I'm afraid we've accepted an offer a few weeks ago on our property that we've been trying to sell for nearly a year.

Just got to the stage where we were glad to be shut of it, ( not that it's gone through yet )

So, yes, we've sold at rock bottom, looks like the exchange rate is getting worse by the day, but what can you do?

We're just gunna cross our fingers and hope the exchange rate goes up in the next month or so, before we exchange the cash from the sale.

In the mean time, we're just buying a property over here, so hope it's good timing on our part on one side at least!

Chris x

Yes stayed here & gambled on a few property investments as the values were so low so looking good only down side visa ran out lol.

I think you are spot on there Kirk, it's a gamble. People can go bust anywhere mate. I have a friend here who emigrated really cashed up. Paid cash for their house and still had a lot to throw around. He went out buying properties and land like there was no tomorrow. Even had my missus bending my ear as he is a super confident type of guy and persuaded her that's what we should be doing.

Then the GFC hit, prices went backwards, he owned some land that he was paying land tax on and couldn't get development approval and his outgoings quickly became more than his incomings. They almost lost the family home and now have a lot bigger mortgage than us, as well as having to sell just about everything they could.

so why am I £24,000 up on one of my properties which I brought under 2 years ago. Property value under £200,000

Guest chris955
so why am I £24,000 up on one of my properties which I brought under 2 years ago. Property value under £200,000

Exactly, as I said the facts seem to paint a totally different picture.

Because some poor bugger sold it cheap as they were probably facing repossesion? Could be a number of reasons. And have you actually sold it or is that a valuation?

I think you are spot on there Kirk, it's a gamble. People can go bust anywhere mate. I have a friend here who emigrated really cashed up. Paid cash for their house and still had a lot to throw around. He went out buying properties and land like there was no tomorrow. Even had my missus bending my ear as he is a super confident type of guy and persuaded her that's what we should be doing.

Then the GFC hit, prices went backwards, he owned some land that he was paying land tax on and couldn't get development approval and his outgoings quickly became more than his incomings. They almost lost the family home and now have a lot bigger mortgage than us, as well as having to sell just about everything they could.

only took one small loan rest came from savings

Property transactions in the UK reached their highest level in two and a half years as house buyers took advantage of record low interest rates, according to a survey of estate agents.

Surveyors sold an average of 16.8 homes in February – up from 15.9 in January but still more than 50% down on the levels hit in the early 2000s.

Depends how you look at it really? Try asking the people who are trapped in negative equity stuck on high interest rates because the cant remortgage.

I don't see rising house prices as a good thing. People need affordable houses to live. I bought my house for 60, , 000 it went up to 100, 000 and is now back around 75 to 80. I think that's a fair price. 100, 000 for a terrace in a not so nice area is a rip off. hoping for a collapse in aussie prices as well most experts agree it's way over valued

Guest chris955

So now you are saying that sales arent actually down as you said earlier and also my link said mortgages are easier to get.

Property transactions in the UK reached their highest level in two and a half years as house buyers took advantage of record low interest rates, according to a survey of estate agents.

Surveyors sold an average of 16.8 homes in February – up from 15.9 in January but still more than 50% down on the levels hit in the early 2000s.

Depends how you look at it really? Try asking the people who are trapped in negative equity stuck on high interest rates because the cant remortgage.

They are down and the article states that, They have risen slightly from rock bottom. How many of those sales are property investors buying on the cheap? How can a young family earning an average wage buy a house? The market wont and cant recover properly until wages increase simple laws of economics. You only have to actually read past data from western countries to understand this but you can choose to believe the pro government media and estate agents who have their agenda.

Archived