info required on a Contributory Parent (Migrant) Visa (Subclass 143)

gareth and lisa

Hello.. can anybody answer me this.. if my parents came on a permanent Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 143) and one of them died before the 10 years is up (when they get the bond refunded). Is half of the money refunded to the spouse or family? As the cost will be nearly $100,000 for the 2 of them, its a lot of money to lose.

Hope i have made sense Lisa

Hello.. can anybody answer me this.. if my parents came on a permanent Contributory Parent (Migrant) visa (subclass 143) and one of them died before the 10 years is up (when they get the bond refunded). Is half of the money refunded to the spouse or family? As the cost will be nearly $100,000 for the 2 of them, its a lot of money to lose.

You should be aware that the only refundable part of the money is the $14,000 Assurance of Support after 10 years. The very high Visa Application Charge is non refundable.

Although in essence it is the parents who provide the money, the Assurer will not be your parents. The Assurer can be anyone who is a permanent resident or citizen and need not necessarily be the same person as the sponsor. In most cases it is the offspring who act as the Assurer. In our case it was my brother who is also an Australian citizen. The interest on the AOS is paid to his bank account, but he transfers this to us, as it was actually our money. At the end of the 10 years the money will be refunded to him (and then hopefully to us!) or whoever survives him, should anything happen to him.

I was looking at your timeline. You should be aware that you will need to have been in Australia for 2 years before you can sponsor your parents.

The bond is around $14000 for the two of them. The rest of the money is never returned.

thank you both for your replies, I think i have looked at it wrong and doubled the price but actually it is one visa for both of them is this correct?? therefore can i clarify that out of first instalment of $2,060, then the second installment of $42,220, we would only get back $14,000 after the 10yrs?

sorry im totally rubbish at getting all of this,

Lisa

They both need a visa so the cost is for each one. The $14000 bond is returnable after 10 years.

You're confusing the visa charge with the AoS - they are seperate.

They have to pay the visa lodgement fee - the $2,060 and then once the visa is about to be granted they each have to pay the second fee ($42,220 EACH) and then the AoS of $14,000.

After 10 years you are right, it is just the AoS of $14,000 that is refunded (assuming none of it has been used if claiming benefits). The other money is the visa charge an non-refundable.

You're confusing the visa charge with the AoS - they are seperate.

They have to pay the visa lodgement fee - the $2,060 and then once the visa is about to be granted they each have to pay the second fee ($42,220 EACH) and then the AoS of $14,000.

After 10 years you are right, it is just the AoS of $14,000 that is refunded (assuming none of it has been used if claiming benefits). The other money is the visa charge an non-refundable.

I had no idea of the extra $14,000, well i think that answers things, no way can they/we afford all that.. thanks for the assistance.

I had no idea of the extra $14,000, well i think that answers things, no way can they/we afford all that.. thanks for the assistance.

It is a very, very expensive visa, especially with the £ falling in such a dramatic fashion against the $. The only way my parents are managing to afford it is because they are in the lucky position that their house value has risen so much in the 14 years they've been living there. They will have to use the funds from that sale to pay for the visa and will have enough left over to buy a modest house quite far out of the City. Even then they'll have to work at least another 10 years to get a savings pot together for retirement.

Tts very depressing my parents want to come out but the insane cost and the crappy pound are stopping them, as they are in their 70s they cant really work plus their money is worth less here due to everything being so hugely overpriced. i recon the whole thing will cost 100k (pounds ) in total, with visas, shipping etc which makes it insanely expensive and only for the very wealthy in reality. But i cant see any other way of them joining us :(

another forum mentioned bridging visas but unsure about that route too. i think they will have to stick to their 3 months holiday each year. We have enough room in our garden for them to build a granny house/flat so that would cut down costs but i think its still far to much financially.

thanks for all the replies.

Lisa

There is the non contributory visa - that takes years and years - around 15 I've heard, but the visa charge is a lot less. If they meet certain criteria regarding age I think they can apply on-shore which would mean they'd be granted bridging visas until the parental visa was granted. It's very restrictive though, they wouldn't be able to work, claim and benefits or leave the country without having to apply for a further bridging visa to be able to get in again.

Also, it's not just the cost of the visa and moving. Australia is very expensive. The state pension is frozen at the rate it is when you leave the country. There are no free prescriptions as in the UK and everything in general is that much more expensive.

There is the non contributory visa - that takes years and years - around 15 I've heard, but the visa charge is a lot less. If they meet certain criteria regarding age I think they can apply on-shore which would mean they'd be granted bridging visas until the parental visa was granted. It's very restrictive though, they wouldn't be able to work, claim and benefits or leave the country without having to apply for a further bridging visa to be able to get in again.

Hey that's quite better than I thought. Just to clarify. If me and my bro are in Mel - we first get them tourist visa and have them at Mel from our native country. Then we apply for their non-contributory visa while they are in Mel - then they would get bridging visa for as long as they don't get PR which will be some 15+ years but they would not have PR rights but can stay there?

Hey that's quite better than I thought. Just to clarify. If me and my bro are in Mel - we first get them tourist visa and have them at Mel from our native country. Then we apply for their non-contributory visa while they are in Mel - then they would get bridging visa for as long as they don't get PR which will be some 15+ years but they would not have PR rights but can stay there?

Depending from which country you are from (unless eligible for evisitor), there is a good chance that they will have no-further stay condition on their visa, which will not allow this.

Connie and I came here on the 143 visa back in 2007. Throughout the visa process the $/GBP was around the $2.50/1GBP mark and we thought it was a lot of money then but we persisted. Luckily we were able to sell our house at a top price in Scotland (St Andrews) and get ourselves established here before the GBP started its downward trend.

I would say that if we were just starting the process now we would have many second thoughts about doing it, and would probably make do with annual trips out to see our son and his wife.

Our only regular income comes from the UK in the form of pensions and the $ equivalent has fallen so much that we are starting to encroach on our capital which is never a good thing to do. We have even talked about selling up here and moving back to the UK making good profit due to the exchange rate and just start coming out here for the UK winters.

Good luck whatever you decide for your parents.

Mike

PS. Previous posters are correct in that you(your sponsor) will only get the AOS $14000 back after 10 years.

After 2 years they would qualify for the Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card (depending on their ages) which would get them reduced prescription costs, help with telephone/internet costs, but not a lot else.

This is a very risky strategy and should only be considered as a last resort.

To be eligible for an onshore parent visa, applicants need to be over the age of 65.

They then go on a bridging visa during processing, which will be 15 years plus.

When they get to the end of the queue and ready to finalise the application, they will need to meet health requirements. At best they will be 80 years old at this point and in most cases older.

If they fail the health requirements (which is not unusual at age 80 +) the visa pplication will fail and they will need to leave Australia.

Can you imagine the stress on an elderly person having to leave Australia, on short notice, after 15 years and return to a country they have not lived in for such a long time?

Depending from which country you are from (unless eligible for evisitor), there is a good chance that they will have no-further stay condition on their visa, which will not allow this.

Thanks. Any idea if Indians parents will be allowed for bridging visa if they apply pr while onshore on visitor visa?

Archived