What are the chances of hairdressing going bk on the list ?

fitnesstasha

Guest The Pom Queen
Why? Can you back this up with any facts please

Probably the fact we live here and see the number of local hairdressers that are out of work.

Better talking to an Agent about the chances to be honest ,all information on this site

is subject to the posters opinion not factual.This I found out the hard way myself with certain information regarding my own visa requirements.Where there is a wealth of helpful and informative information regarding different visas and occupations

Always run this passed an registered migration agent

Good luck with your visa enquiry

Better talking to an Agent about the chances to be honest ,all information on this site

is subject to the posters opinion not factual.This I found out the hard way myself with certain information regarding my own visa requirements.Where there is a wealth of helpful and informative information regarding different visas and occupations

Always run this passed an registered migration agent

Good luck with your visa enquiry

As long as people with technical queries post on here BEFORE they appear to have done any research they are going to get opinions rather than facts.

What do we recon ? ;-)

Hairdressers is still the list it is on CSOL - therefore requires State Nomination or Employer Sponsorship. Therefore Eligible for 190, 489 State Nominated, 186 and 187 visas.

WA, ACT, Tas and NT are still sponsoring Hairdressers.

It would unlikley that this occupation will ever go back on SOL 1.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/_pdf/sol-schedule1-2.pdf

http://www.migration.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0005/41927/List_SMP_2012_2013.pdf

http://www.migration.nt.gov.au/visa/sol.html

http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/workspace/uploads/documents/act-occupation-list-2012-13.pdf

http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/Occupationsindemand.aspx

As someone who lives here it was difficult to see why it was ever on the list. Yes, there are always lots of ads for hairdressers, but that seems to be because a lot of people want to own their own salon and they need staff. There are simply too many salons, just like there are too many cafes for everyone to make a decent living.

I live near a town of 7,000 with at least 12 salons - never see more than a couple of chairs taken in each. They all advertise for staff in the hope that someone will come and bring clients with them. It was always an artificial "shortage" and as I understand it the pay is not great and certainly not worth moving to a much more expensive cost of living.

It might be worth trying another avenue. Best of luck to you.

It is not such a bad idea to go into the bush if u can find the right place but dont patronise them of course. Even the most "back o' Bourke" town can serve a decent coffee, meal etc.

There is mega trendoid place in Cleveland St next to mega trendoid Norfolk Hotel which is a cafe at the front and, behind glass partition, barber at back.

It is a good idea?!

PS Of course the Surry Hills snob in me "sniffs" & says "SOUTH of Cleveland St?! (Arched eyebrows) "THAT is REDFERN!"

I remember reading somewhere that thousands and thousands of hairdressers got visas but there was still a shortage of hairdressers, this is because very few of them took jobs as hairdressers due to the low pay the job offers here. Really the PR system should be based on migrants working for a couple of years in their nominated occupation before getting PR IMHO.

I remember reading somewhere that thousands and thousands of hairdressers got visas but there was still a shortage of hairdressers, this is because very few of them took jobs as hairdressers due to the low pay the job offers here. Really the PR system should be based on migrants working for a couple of years in their nominated occupation before getting PR IMHO.

Your are confusing people that came to Australia to study vocational qualifications then were able to get PR off the back of that, as it did not require a skills assessment if applied within 6 months of competing the course, this door has been closed for a few years now, and many of these applicants are sitting in Cat 5 since 2010.

The Skilled Migration stream is different as it needs people to get a positive skills assessment, a hairdresser for example with the relevant qualifications requires 3 years of work experience at same level as a full qualified hairdresser. If they did an apprenticeship to become a hairdresser they require 5 years as an apprentice being supervised and a further 3 years as a full hairdresser - 8 years work experience.

So yes to get PR they do have a couple of years in their nominated occupation.

Your are confusing people that came to Australia to study vocational qualifications then were able to get PR off the back of that, as it did not require a skills assessment if applied within 6 months of competing the course, this door has been closed for a few years now, and many of these applicants are sitting in Cat 5 since 2010.

Actually I'm not :biggrin:

I'm talking about properly qualified hairdressers (and other occupations too) who came with PR based on their experience overseas but never gave a single haircut after arriving and took other, presumably better paid occupations. Hence, lots of hairdressers where allowed in but there was still a shortage of hairdressers.

I know about the dodgy educational visa's for hairdressers, cooks etc but that's another story.

As someone who lives here it was difficult to see why it was ever on the list. Yes, there are always lots of ads for hairdressers, but that seems to be because a lot of people want to own their own salon and they need staff. There are simply too many salons, just like there are too many cafes for everyone to make a decent living.

I live near a town of 7,000 with at least 12 salons - never see more than a couple of chairs taken in each. They all advertise for staff in the hope that someone will come and bring clients with them. It was always an artificial "shortage" and as I understand it the pay is not great and certainly not worth moving to a much more expensive cost of living.

It might be worth trying another avenue. Best of luck to you.

I fully agree. Most salons seem to me to be employing very young to do the work. Where do all the hairdressers after 30 go? Own business or kid's I guess.

As in your area around where I live there are a good seven operators. A couple of long standing do a good business while others often empty or few clients. I do notice quite a rapid change over of staff as well. The popular and rather good one my OH goes to has empl,oyed a few Brits and Irish over the years but none seem to last more than three months.

I cannot for the life of me see why hairdressing is on the list. I wonder how hard it is to get state sponsored?

Actually I'm not :biggrin:

I'm talking about properly qualified hairdressers (and other occupations too) who came with PR based on their experience overseas but never gave a single haircut after arriving and took other, presumably better paid occupations. Hence, lots of hairdressers where allowed in but there was still a shortage of hairdressers.

I know about the dodgy educational visa's for hairdressers, cooks etc but that's another story.[/QUOTe]

You have any evidence to back this up apart from remembering you read it somewhere. There is no restriction on anyone's visa to say they must work in there nominated occupation unless they are employer sponsored.

You have any evidence to back this up apart from remembering you read it somewhere. There is no restriction on anyone's visa to say they must work in there nominated occupation unless they are employer sponsored.

Nope, hence saying I read it somewhere, I didn't just make it up, but you only have my word for that.

As I said, I think there should be a requirement to work in your nominated occupation prior to gaining full PR, to stop exactly this and ensure the country gets value for the visas it grants, but that's just my opinion.

I also read it somewhere. :-)

They were saying that a very high percentage on skilled independent visas wouldn't work in that field. I don't personally know many people who have come over on those visas, but the only three families I know, two haven't worked a day in the field they used to work in. That is 66% in my experiance.

Archived