How do you prevent people ripping you off?

Tinglesnark

Before I have even started the visa process, I have already had one "friend" rip me off with a smile on their face. I am in a position where I can't do much about it and as rip off's go, this is a teeny one and can be written off without much loss...the same will go for the "friend" too...bye bye!

So, what are your tips for sorting the wheat from the chaff? How do you ensure that you are placing your trust in the right person and not a wolf in sheep's clothing?

Is it an age and experience thing or is there an actual guide book? :confused:

I always say to myself don't worry about speaking up, if something doesn't seem right or you are not happy tell them, if they are offended then so what. Sometimes it pays to be a bit ruthless, but i am always polite.

I used to worry about offending others and hurting their feelings, i learnt that they don't seem to bother about that then why would i. I mean most of these people who will help you, you are paying and will never see again.

Also provide as much detail as you can upfront, that way if they ask for more money and you have proof you told them about it before hand, how can they charge again. Spend time and don't feel rushed by anyone.

Guest guest76088

"Before I have even started the visa process, I have already had one "friend" rip me off with a smile on their face."

What does this mean ? Deceive you for money? Copy your visa statements?

BigD

"Before I have even started the visa process, I have already had one "friend" rip me off with a smile on their face."

What does this mean ? Deceive you for money? Copy your visa statements?

BigD

It was something that was meant to be done as a favour for a friend by a friend. Sadly it ended up with me being charged more than i had bargained for.

As I said, my own fault and details aren't necessary :)

I was just asking for experiences and how to avoid being ripped off and conned, I am far to trusting!

I don't trust anyone when it comes to money. I have seen how even family members can change on the death of a family member where money is involved.

If you have things written down, there is no confusion and everyone should be singing from the same songsheet. If you were ripped off by a friend, they weren't really a friend were they?

I take each situation on its merits. If something is too good to be true, then it normally is.

Not everyone in life is trying to rip you off and it is not good to hear of someone being ripped off, but perhaps put it down to one of life's experiences - it will make you more wiser for the future.

Guest guest76088

Someone not doing you a favour when you expected them to is not a ripoff in my opinion. It may not even be cause for complaint depending on what the favour was: whether it was legitimate, honest and whether your expectations were reasonable.

To avoid get ripped off research your counterparty. What are their motivations, what are they getting out the deal and what is your risk exposure?

Assuming that you are referring to something not covered by consumer law, are you doing something dodgy, what is the risk vs reward? Do you have recourse?

For example, if hypothetically someone said:

"I had this mate who said he would confirm that I was working for him as a bricklayer that time I was labouring, but he didn't do it even though he offered to in the pub when I last saw him..."

Is that ripping you off?

BigD

It was something that was meant to be done as a favour for a friend by a friend. Sadly it ended up with me being charged more than i had bargained for.

As I said, my own fault and details aren't necessary :)

I was just asking for experiences and how to avoid being ripped off and conned, I am far to trusting!

Guest guest76088

90% of the disputes on Judge Judy relate to loans made to partners or relatives after which the relationships turn sour and the loan is not repaid....

BigD

Someone not doing you a favour when you expected them to is not a ripoff in my opinion. It may not even be cause for complaint depending on what the favour was: whether it was legitimate, honest and whether your expectations were reasonable.

To avoid get ripped off research your counterparty. What are their motivations, what are they getting out the deal and what is your risk exposure?

Assuming that you are referring to something not covered by consumer law, are you doing something dodgy, what is the risk vs reward? Do you have recourse?

For example, if hypothetically someone said:

"I had this mate who said he would confirm that I was working for him as a bricklayer that time I was labouring, but he didn't do it even though he offered to in the pub when I last saw him..."

Is that ripping you off?

BigD

Hahah! you're very funny...shall we let this one go? pmsl...

Archived