Anybody else expereince trouble getting work or even a reply to a job application here in Aus

armitchell

Just a thought, but you're not too old to change careers... Not sure about Trade work in Aus or UK but here in US, IT and Medical field are stable careers.

Yep I was thinking that I enrolled on a personal trainer course for 6 months they seem in demand and also the training center apparently finds you an employer when you pass I'll believe that when I see it heard all that rubbish before so not expecting anything to much . I also have been considering learning bricklaying - doing a bricklaying apprenticeship think its always good to learn another trade and broaden the scope could also become a general builder then if i wanted to ! trouble is i'm having trouble finding what the rate is for a 1st year apprentice aged 34 I think its around $15 per hour its a drop in what I earn back home but it could be livable!!!! I'm only slightly worried that I would loose all my past experience and knowledge in plumbing!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TBH I haven't found getting a job here any different from the UK and probably anywhere else. Most jobs in the UK were word of mouth and I know of a few that were filled before they were even advertised, just had to go through the procedures.

When I was made redundant during a pretty bad recession in the UK the job I got was through someone I knew, It was advertised and I rang him as he had already told me the job was mine. He told me not to worry they had to do it, so a lot of people would have wasted a lot of there time and got there hopes up for nothing. There were over 100 applicants for the one position at the time, back in 1990, before we emigrated. I've found the same here, was working at a place I knew was going to close any day and a guy I used to work with rang me and asked if I wanted a job. I went along for an "interview" the next day and was told there and then I had it. They had to go through the process of advertising still and I had to do a months notice at the other place whilst it was all made official.

I know some places just won't take visa people, banks are good for this. My visa of 6 months wasn't long enough to apply for a 3 months fixed contract role. Yeah - explains why they need accountants...

I have friends who managed to get jobs easily, they said "just don't tell them you're on a visa" but I've found there is always a question of "are you a citizen, or have a visa".

If you select visa - you get rejected.

If you don't (and you are on a visa) you've very unlikely to get the job I'd say, lying, but... may get you the interview to dazzle.

Myself, I plod on, lying isn't my style. More fool me.

So the hunt goes on.

Hi

Not really sure if this is the right place for this thread but i have been wondering if it was just me or is it the same for other fellow country men from the UK when trying to get work here in Australia or more so here in Melbourne!

Try not to get disheartened, I know it's really tough when you feel like you're getting no-where. My last three years of on and off employment (Brisbane IT) have all been through knowing someone who has 'put a word in' I tend not to bother with Seek as I've never got anywhere with applications, you often have to meet and be interviewed by complete nincompoops from job agencies who are justifying their existance, and on top of that most roles want selection criteria completed. You can put a day into a really top quality application and not even get an acknowledgement. I've lost patience with people wasting my time for their own amusement. Also (and I've had this feedback from Aussie colleagues) I have a tendency to be 'too honest' in my applications and so can be overlooked in favour of more imaginative fibbers who bullshit much better than me. Personally when I'm interviewing, I'm able to suss out that the average 25 year old graduate won't have many years of International senior management, board membership, strategic leadership etc etc, but there are a lot of drongos recruiting who are taken in and don't use their common sense.

So networking is the way to go, I'm afraid. Getting a job here is not about your ability to do it well, it is about who you know. And while there is nepotism everywhere, Brisbane is the only place I've worked where people will choose a vastly inferior candidate because 1) they know them or 2) they won't have the skills to suss out the recruiter is out of his/her depth

Good Luck - There are lots of people struggling to get jobs here, the figures aren't at all accurate, and the press does a pretty good job of keeping quiet about how many people in Australia are finding it really tough at the moment - UK press the other way of course - painting a far more pessimistic picture than reality for many...

Thanks to everybody for their input so it appears that I am not alone and this is just the norm in Australia - ok I sound like 'a whinging pm' but it just annoys me how the Australians can go to the UK and work especially in my line of work straight away easily no questions asked and no need to do any retraining and earn good money where as me on the other hand can't get work and have to go back to the Tafe to become requalified or start from the bottom up again!

That Ashton Foley certainly pulled the wool over a few eyes and if she hadn't have blown the whistle on wrongdoings at Peel Health Campus would be still minting it in.

She had a $350,000 a year job, on dodgy credentials, on a suspect visa, lied about her quals and experience, blew the whistle, moved to Victoria and landed another CEO position in a matter of a couple of weeks.

She's had to quite now obviously and apparently gone back to the states, even though there is no record of her leaving the country. Saw her "husband" being interviewed on TV last night he looks and acts as shady as she is, chose to stop the interview when asked a question he didn't want to answer.

We had an American girl contractor work for a company that I used to work for here that went bust. She came in on big money demanded her own office, refused to go to Argentina, where the contract was, sat there for about 6 months, till the contract went bad, dragging the rest of the company down with it. When she left a few people started asking around about what she had been doing and nobody had a clue.

She knew all the buzz words and could talk the talk on telecoms and was good looking, so that got her foot in the door with the guys interviewing. Never met an American yet who's not come across as overconfident.

Thanks to everybody for their input so it appears that I am not alone and this is just the norm in Australia - ok I sound like 'a whinging pm' but it just annoys me how the Australians can go to the UK and work especially in my line of work straight away easily no questions asked and no need to do any retraining and earn good money where as me on the other hand can't get work and have to go back to the Tafe to become requalified or start from the bottom up again!

Australia is all about keeping jobs for Australians. (Visas are difficult and can be expensive and then most aussies don't trust them)

UK ain't - anyone and everyone in! You're international? Well we won't check references then... too difficult... (I have been told the visas are getting more difficult for people to get into UK, an American friend has tried for years to get in and can't)

...now who's got it right? :(

Australia is all about keeping jobs for Australians. (Visas are difficult and can be expensive and then most aussies don't trust them)

UK ain't - anyone and everyone in! You're international? Well we won't check references then... too difficult... (I have been told the visas are getting more difficult for people to get into UK, an American friend has tried for years to get in and can't)

...now who's got it right? :(

Love your post and yes your quite right I agree with you 100% and I do get frustrated with the Uk and the spineless weak people running it. Australia sure has got the right idea !!!

Long time since I was in the workforce, but I was prepared to move interstate. Got a job 4,000 km from home that lasted 6 months. That put me onto another job, 350 km from home that lasted a year and that put me onto a permanent job in my hometown.

By the bye, when I was being interviwed for the first job, the boss mentioned that he had a job for 2 people 40 km from Sydney; over 40 people applied and, on finding the work was 40 km away, no one took the work!

So, there you go...

Cheers, Bobj.

Sometimes finding work can be a struggle, no matter where you are in the world.

It cannot be that Australia just does not like giving jobs to Brits or other non-Australians, if it were true then there wouldn't be so many migrants here. It is also common place now that most recruiters only reply to candidates that have passed the initial screening, they are not able to respond to everyone because of the volumes. I definitely found this in UK in recent years, have not done that much job hunting in Australia as still in first job.

Sometimes finding work can be a struggle, no matter where you are in the world.

It cannot be that Australia just does not like giving jobs to Brits or other non-Australians, if it were true then there wouldn't be so many migrants here. It is also common place now that most recruiters only reply to candidates that have passed the initial screening, they are not able to respond to everyone because of the volumes. I definitely found this in UK in recent years, have not done that much job hunting in Australia as still in first job.

I agree of course it isn't as I have had work here in Aus before in the past however in my line of work / trade, Aussies come over to Uk make a phone call have no checks on them carried out don't need to retrain or do any assessments and have work the next day. They can come over and start a business far more easier than me starting one in Australia as well I know because i have looked into it!

I would make sure your cv and cover letters are set out to address the exact criteria they are looking for the positions. Speaking on behalf of my family and friends that have come here from the uk , none had much trouble finding work in there fields, be it IT, office work , teaching and trades.My wife got first job she applied for , didn't like the people so left. Following day she rang another job , got a interview and started the following week. My cousins have all had success in Brisbane also. Its definitely not a case of Australians don't like employing brits in my opinion,except in some cases if its the building trade mainly with bricklayers and carpenters. British plumbers are very popular in Brisbane areas. Work on sites with many.

Edited by Ausborn

I would make sure your cv and cover letters are set out to address the exact criteria they are looking for the positions. Speaking on behalf of my family and friends that have come here from the uk , none had much trouble finding work in there fields, be it IT, office work , teaching and trades.My wife got first job she applied for , didn't like the people so left. Following day she rang another job , got a interview and started the following week. My cousins have all had success in Brisbane also. Its definitely not a case of Australians don't like employing brits in my opinion,except in some cases if its the building trade mainly with bricklayers and carpenters. British plumbers are very popular in Brisbane areas. Work on sites with many.

yeh good answer maybe thinking of heading back up to brissie do have a mate up there but funnily enough he's in my trade but is always out of work him self and he's born and bred in Australia so not sure if a lot of work around up there !!!!

Hi, I am still in the UK, currently looking for a company to sponsor me n a 457 visa, I have e-mailed over 300 companies and only had a limited amount of replies of which neither were positive ones :-( I'm a welder and really did think it would be easier to find a sponsor, looking into using an agent/management company now that promises to find a sponsor for us.. Living the Dream, fingers crossed they will have more luck then us although its a costly way to go hopefully it will be worth it

Hi, I am still in the UK, currently looking for a company to sponsor me n a 457 visa, I have e-mailed over 300 companies and only had a limited amount of replies of which neither were positive ones :-( I'm a welder and really did think it would be easier to find a sponsor, looking into using an agent/management company now that promises to find a sponsor for us.. Living the Dream, fingers crossed they will have more luck then us although its a costly way to go hopefully it will be worth it

Forget trying to find a sponsor I tryed for 6 yrs and got nothing so just went down the skilled independant visa route ! but believe me you will still find it hard to get work as at first so many hoops to jump through and so much money spent first just to get stupid bits of paper and tickets! If i were you mate and you have a steady job or earning good money stay in the UK. I am even considering my self to chuck it in and just go back home. Do I want to have money or do I want to be a broke man with a tan sitting in the sun?????? I know loads more people from the Uk going back home as couldn't get work and even a welder I knew had mate with his own company in perth when he went to get a licence at the plumbing commision or where ever it was they refused to give him one now he's back in the UK he says he hates Australia and will never set foot on their soil again!!! just food for thought!!!!!!

this is not a good response, I am hoping to re-locate my family, wife and 2 young boys for a better life, does anyone else feel this way?

How is it a better life ???? everybody in the UK has this presumption that Australia is a better life the weather maybe better at times but then people find they can't go out for the sun and it does bore you after a while !

I'm not trying to put you off try it - always try - it may work for you but be prepared to have a lot of money in your bank account ! to support your family I'm on my own kept it that way to make it easier for my self and even I struggle ! on my own!

Maybe do some research into it google it I saw an article from the guradian newspaper through google about people returning back from Aus broke after emigrating! or search on this web site a few plumbers such as my self have given accounts of sitting on their backsides getting a tan for six months or more trying to get work even though they have the correct quals, bits of paper certs etc! then they end up going back home broke and in debt !!!!

Sorry if I sound to negative and I do but its just a really hard thing to do !!!! and think I should just point that out before you make plans and throw away anything you have good back home! such as a house and a good income !

Perhaps there is a message in there for you ... forget about trying to find a sponsor. This is not the way the majority of people go about it, it is very hard for most people to find a sponsors from overseas and really just a few occupations where there is a good chance of being successful.

If you want to move, try skilled migration.

I do agree that "better life" is the oldest cliche in the book and not that many that have actually made the move would claim that arriving in Australia handed them a better life. There are some that will struggle for work, there always are in any first world country, but many people do make a success of it too and are happy and there is no reason why you would not fall into that bucket.

yeh good answer maybe thinking of heading back up to brissie do have a mate up there but funnily enough he's in my trade but is always out of work him self and he's born and bred in Australia so not sure if a lot of work around up there !!!!

With your trade sometimes its a case of who you know, not really what you know. Don't rely on papers or online to look for work. I know brickies that have come over and said there's no work. Then as soon as they drive around to sites and put themselves out there they have ended up employed with good jobs. Most don't advertise when they looking for tradies ,they usually have a phone full of numbers to ring people. Advertising job vacancies cost money. You will find usually when a job is advertised in the paper, its not good money. For example if I was to advertise a in paper for a bricky, I'd offer $28 a hour. If I rang up someone that worked for me before I'd be giving him $36-$38 a hour. My advice would be drive around and speak to people in person. Get your name out there.

With your trade sometimes its a case of who you know, not really what you know. Don't rely on papers or online to look for work. I know brickies that have come over and said there's no work. Then as soon as they drive around to sites and put themselves out there they have ended up employed with good jobs. Most don't advertise when they looking for tradies ,they usually have a phone full of numbers to ring people. Advertising job vacancies cost money. You will find usually when a job is advertised in the paper, its not good money. For example if I was to advertise a in paper for a bricky, I'd offer $28 a hour. If I rang up someone that worked for me before I'd be giving him $36-$38 a hour. My advice would be drive around and speak to people in person. Get your name out there.

yep I agree with you and I know this - it is absolutely a case of who you know rather than what you know as even though I have 15 yrs experience behind me and run my own jobs back home I am a nobody over here and classed as not even being qualified when you first arrive.

I have got jobs here in the past through people I have met but they have never lasted for what ever reason.

Back in the Uk I had so many contacts and it is easy to get work for me as i am more set up in a stronger positon but I now have to compete with immigrant cheap labour that can afford to undercut you! and with the prospects of yet more coming I got my residency some time ago ! But now it is a case of no work in Australia or hard to get work verses can get work in UK but money going down !

But I do appreciate your advice though ! thank you !!!

I am a skilled I.T. worker from London with 6 years experience, currently living in Perth, lucky enough to be on a great volunteer programme in the Swan Valley learning all about wine, and living here too. I arrived in Perth January 2012 on a Working Holiday Visa and have struggled ever since to get a permanent job. In fact, this voluntary job is the only thing currently keeping me here and I do love it.

I have applied for over 300 jobs in the last year, mainly to mining companies, and mainly through Seek and other online recruitment portals. I rarely get a response back. I have however had a few responses by emailing companies directly, but have never gone past interview stage.

I am not prepared to give up, and next week I will start handing out my CVs to everyone on St George's Terrace! My advice to anyone is please don't give up, and don't rely on online applications. I have recently got my White Card, took the MARCSTA course, first aid ticket, and got my HR licence. Hopefully these will work in my favour come my march along the Terrace next week!

Good luck.

hi, i am still in the uk, currently looking for a company to sponsor me n a 457 visa, i have e-mailed over 300 companies and only had a limited amount of replies of which neither were positive ones :-( i'm a welder and really did think it would be easier to find a sponsor, looking into using an agent/management company now that promises to find a sponsor for us.. Living the dream, fingers crossed they will have more luck then us although its a costly way to go hopefully it will be worth it

do not waste your money!