Anybody else expereince trouble getting work or even a reply to a job application here in Aus

armitchell

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a skilled I.T. worker from London with 6 years experience, currently living in Perth, lucky enough to be on a great volunteer programme in the Swan Valley learning all about wine, and living here too. I arrived in Perth January 2012 on a Working Holiday Visa and have struggled ever since to get a permanent job. In fact, this voluntary job is the only thing currently keeping me here and I do love it.

I have applied for over 300 jobs in the last year, mainly to mining companies, and mainly through Seek and other online recruitment portals. I rarely get a response back. I have however had a few responses by emailing companies directly, but have never gone past interview stage.

I am not prepared to give up, and next week I will start handing out my CVs to everyone on St George's Terrace! My advice to anyone is please don't give up, and don't rely on online applications. I have recently got my White Card, took the MARCSTA course, first aid ticket, and got my HR licence. Hopefully these will work in my favour come my march along the Terrace next week!

Good luck.

Ok buddy thanks for your input ! I done the working holiday visa thing over 10 yrs ago now so I know the experience and how tough it is back then I was limited to just 3 months with any one employer and the visa only lasted 12 months. I found the only use that visa was good for was all the crap jobs the Aussies don't want to do and fruit picking! I also found that back then that type of visa was associated with back packers which also meant a licence to rip you off and not pay you I had jobs that 3 or 4 other back packers had in front of me and left as they never got paid !!! I have been having a total of 11 yrs experience with Australia the last 5 yrs as a permanent resident it never gets any easier - you would think so !

I should just add to make clear that when I was seeking a sponsor/ sponsorship I was actually within Australia cold calling and talking to employers face to face and not over the net - the perception I got was that they were worried or frightened or they thought just to much paper work involved for them! They just said why don't you just get your residency your self!

In order for it to work out in Australia you need to find an employer job before you arrive or know someone or a mate who can definately get you a start as soon as you arrive !

I am a skilled I.T. worker from London with 6 years experience, currently living in Perth, lucky enough to be on a great volunteer programme in the Swan Valley learning all about wine, and living here too. I arrived in Perth January 2012 on a Working Holiday Visa and have struggled ever since to get a permanent job. In fact, this voluntary job is the only thing currently keeping me here and I do love it.

I have applied for over 300 jobs in the last year, mainly to mining companies, and mainly through Seek and other online recruitment portals. I rarely get a response back. I have however had a few responses by emailing companies directly, but have never gone past interview stage.

I am not prepared to give up, and next week I will start handing out my CVs to everyone on St George's Terrace! My advice to anyone is please don't give up, and don't rely on online applications. I have recently got my White Card, took the MARCSTA course, first aid ticket, and got my HR licence. Hopefully these will work in my favour come my march along the Terrace next week!

Good luck.

This is very interesting. may I ask what line of IT you work/worked in?

I'm a CCNP level (soon to be CCNP), network engineer and have roughly the same years experience as you do, but intend to go to Sydney rather than Perth. I really don't want to go out there and be left without work!

• 2 weeks later...
this is not a good response, I am hoping to re-locate my family, wife and 2 young boys for a better life, does anyone else feel this way?

I'd be very careful making assumptions that Australia will amount to a better life. It is on par probably at best these days. I do feel that there are employment issues are under the surface. Whatever a large dose of luck is required as well as nothing can be taken for granted.