Anybody else expereince trouble getting work or even a reply to a job application here in Aus

armitchell

Hi

Not really sure if this is the right place for this thread but i have been wondering if it was just me or is it the same for other fellow country men from the UK when trying to get work here in Australia or more so here in Melbourne!

I have been coming and going from the UK to Australia since 2002 when I first had a working holiday visa and traveled all around oz and each part i went to found it near on impossible to get work in any area.

I am a qualified self employed and 4 yr apprenticeship served pipe fitter / plumber back in the UK and I am now 34 yrs old.

I spent a good few years trying to find work or get a sponsorship in Australia but nobody was interested until I got my own Permanent residency!

I got my permanent residency in 2008 settled in Melbourne and thought I would easily get work now that I had that! I went through all the right channels went to the Plumbing Industry Commision in Melbourne. Got a provisional plumbing licence - went to Tafe got my plumbing registration applied for jobs on line and never heard anything back not even to say they received my application.Must have applied for over a hundred jobs and heard nothing back at all. I was getting desperate so I applied for any casual jobs or labouring jobs again never heard anything back and if I did hear anything back it was just the run around and a general waste of time!

I went back to the UK broke after spending all my money.

Now I am back out here in Melbourne again thought I would give it another go before my permanent visa expired (it would be a waste) and guess what since I'v been here I have applied for loads of jobs and again nothing I don't get a response or acknowledgement what so ever!

Its like my applications and resume just go straight in the bin.

I am now curious to know if it is just me or do others from the UK experience the same ?????

I am finding my self ping ponging between the Uk and Australia - get work in UK but get fed up with how the country gets run and how my wages are pushed down and the weather is crap...................come to Australia cant get work and loose all my money !

Thanks if you want to reply ???????

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I live in Ipswich (near Brisbane) with my australian husband and I have been finding it really hard to find permanent work. I've been here since mid-october last year and have only just yesterday had my first interview despite applying for countless jobs. I am currently working as a casual in a warehouse just to get some money coming in but on average I'll only work 2 days a week which is crap. I've started volunteering one day a week just to keep my admin experience going and I have also signed up for an evening class starting in 2 weeks, anything really to make my CV stand out.

It's really hard at the moment but I'm going to keep trying, don't want to go back to England and I don't think my husband is keen to go back so soon either.

Hi,

I live in Ipswich (near Brisbane) with my australian husband and I have been finding it really hard to find permanent work. I've been here since mid-october last year and have only just yesterday had my first interview despite applying for countless jobs. I am currently working as a casual in a warehouse just to get some money coming in but on average I'll only work 2 days a week which is crap. I've started volunteering one day a week just to keep my admin experience going and I have also signed up for an evening class starting in 2 weeks, anything really to make my CV stand out.

It's really hard at the moment but I'm going to keep trying, don't want to go back to England and I don't think my husband is keen to go back so soon either.

Hi many thanks for your input - I know what you mean I know the experience I dont want to go back to England either but what happens is I stay in Australia spend all my money end up going back to England work save money get my self back on my feet, go back out to Australia spend all my money cant get work or decent pay go back to England etc etc!

When I apply for jobs here in Australia its as though my resume goes straight in the bin or they look after there own. It annoys me because back home in the UK in my line of work Aussies just turn up and get work straight away no retraining needed and they get work easily and sometimes with better pay than us born there ! But then I suppose thats just our stupid system and the spineless idiots we get running our stupid country !

yeah they seem to want a lot more experience over here than back home, even for simple admin jobs some companies ask for a minimum of 5 years experience and/or a certificate in admin which for the amount some of them are willing to pay is a bit excessive in my opinion. I had it easier in England in some ways as I speak a second language (German) and that always helped me secure a job, whereas over here unless you speak an asian language they don't really seem to care. I hope I get the job I interviewed for yesterday, even though it is only a 3-6 month contract position, they are sending me to do some psychometric tests tomorrow which I've never had to do before so that could be interesting. Good luck with your job search :-)

Ever thought of trying somewhere other than Melbourne? There seems a few jobs for pipefitters and plumbers over here, I have a couple of friends, both expats who are plumbers and they are both working and earning decent money. My sons mate is a time served plumber here and is on FIFO on big dollars. It's a 3 on 1 off though so might not suite.

Good luck.

I know a lot of migrants who have found work by approaching companys who ARE NOT advertising for staff. As with anything when things are tight and say a hundred people apply for the same job, as a newly arrived migrant id imagine its highly unlikely you would be succesful or even top of the list.

Ringing around and approaching companys in person (cold calling) sounds like the way to go for you, sell yourself and chase your licence up too, if you dont chase it ,they wont rush and for a spraky or plumber with no licence, job prospects arent great.

Cal x

Ever thought of trying somewhere other than Melbourne? There seems a few jobs for pipefitters and plumbers over here, I have a couple of friends, both expats who are plumbers and they are both working and earning decent money. My sons mate is a time served plumber here and is on FIFO on big dollars. It's a 3 on 1 off though so might not suite.

Good luck.

Hi yep many thanks for your useful info I have traveled all around Australia and wasn't that keen on perth I do have a mate over there who says he can get me on the mines but from my past experiences I doubt it very much! I also have friends in Brisbane stayed and worked there for a while but nothing long term! and the work wasn't really a career. At the moment I am very lucky to be living with friends in there house in Melbourne so it isn't costing me anything if I move and relocate somewhere else like Perth for example then its going to become expensive and probably unlikely I will get work there any way and would waste time and a lot of money so I have to weigh my options up!

I know a lot of migrants who have found work by approaching companys who ARE NOT advertising for staff. As with anything when things are tight and say a hundred people apply for the same job, as a newly arrived migrant id imagine its highly unlikely you would be succesful or even top of the list.

Ringing around and approaching companys in person (cold calling) sounds like the way to go for you, sell yourself and chase your licence up too, if you dont chase it ,they wont rush and for a spraky or plumber with no licence, job prospects arent great.

Cal x

Thanks for your advice

Edited by armitchell

yeah they seem to want a lot more experience over here than back home, even for simple admin jobs some companies ask for a minimum of 5 years experience and/or a certificate in admin which for the amount some of them are willing to pay is a bit excessive in my opinion. I had it easier in England in some ways as I speak a second language (German) and that always helped me secure a job, whereas over here unless you speak an asian language they don't really seem to care. I hope I get the job I interviewed for yesterday, even though it is only a 3-6 month contract position, they are sending me to do some psychometric tests tomorrow which I've never had to do before so that could be interesting. Good luck with your job search :-)

Well good luck with the job fingers crossed never heard of having to do one of those stupid psychometric tests but with Australia nothing surprises me !

Hi

Not really sure if this is the right place for this thread but i have been wondering if it was just me or is it the same for other fellow country men from the UK when trying to get work here in Australia or more so here in Melbourne!

I have been coming and going from the UK to Australia since 2002 when I first had a working holiday visa and traveled all around oz and each part i went to found it near on impossible to get work in any area.

I am a qualified self employed and 4 yr apprenticeship served pipe fitter / plumber back in the UK and I am now 34 yrs old.

I spent a good few years trying to find work or get a sponsorship in Australia but nobody was interested until I got my own Permanent residency!

I got my permanent residency in 2008 settled in Melbourne and thought I would easily get work now that I had that! I went through all the right channels went to the Plumbing Industry Commision in Melbourne. Got a provisional plumbing licence - went to Tafe got my plumbing registration applied for jobs on line and never heard anything back not even to say they received my application.Must have applied for over a hundred jobs and heard nothing back at all. I was getting desperate so I applied for any casual jobs or labouring jobs again never heard anything back and if I did hear anything back it was just the run around and a general waste of time!

Now I am back out here in Melbourne again thought I would give it another go before my permanent visa expired (it would be a waste) and guess what since I'v been here I have applied for loads of jobs and again nothing I don't get a response or acknowledgement what so ever!

I am now curious to know if it is just me or do others from the UK experience the same ?????

I am finding my self ping ponging between the Uk and Australia - get work in UK but get fed up with how the country gets run and how my wages are pushed down and the weather is crap...................come to Australia cant get work and loose all my money !

One of the most irritating things I find about living here is that as a general rule letters, emails or job applications never get a reply. It is just not in the Aussie make up of being polite when doing this as it is in the UK. I went back for a month in October 2012 for and I was just overwhelmed how polite everyone was. I find (again as a general rule) people to be much more agressive and rude. Obviously there are excetpions before the pro Australia crew get me!

• Like 1

Guest chris955
There have been a fair few people over the last 6 months posted similar issues.

Yes, same. With unemployment going up it would be fair to think it will be harder to get work even for the locals. All you can do is keep plugging away and hope for the best but times are getting tougher.

Yes, same. With unemployment going up it would be fair to think it will be harder to get work even for the locals. All you can do is keep plugging away and hope for the best but times are getting tougher.

Ok many thanks but just for the record it isn't just about now at this moment in time I have had this same experience every time have come out here since 2002 I get the feeling that as soon as they know your from over seas people get frightened !!!!!! It has been this way for many years !

Guest Guest66881

I waited months for email replies when we first got here, in the end i applied for jobs through Seek just to get an address and then i just turned up knocked the front door asking for a job if any going, i work now:wink:

I reckon 90% of jobs are word of mouth and they only advertise because it looks good- they have no intentions of taking on anyone they don't know- particularly in the building industry. My grandaughter has a boyfriend who got a labouring job on a building site recently- how? Word of mouth of course. Jobs around the docks are the same I believe. We have often found it hard to get plumbers ( Melbourne Eastern burbs) which is really annoying when there are skilled people out there who can't get jobs.

• Like 1

Anika - hope your PA test went well, those things are a pain. I cant understand the Aussie faacination with them, how do they prove anything over years of actual work experience?

Armitchell - sorry, i know nothing of plumbing or Melbourne. Just wanted to say good luck, it is demoralising being rejected for every application. Maybe dont tell them on your initial contact you're British and see if you get a better response? Then at least you can convince them of your ability once you're in front of them?

Hi

Just a thought, but you're not too old to change careers... Not sure about Trade work in Aus or UK but here in US, IT and Medical field are stable careers.

Same here in Sydney applied for a ton of jobs so far but only received some sporadic contact from agencies in the IT systems management/PM field, strangely most of the rec cons that have contacted me have been British. Had a couple of interviews but not much doing as yet. Fortunately my partner (who is Aussie) found a job in a couple of weeks of arriving so we are covering the bills.

The irony is that the job she is doing is ridiculously easy compared to what she was doing in the UK with much less responsibility but pays more. Working in IT, she says her colleagues are happy to discuss issues to the nth degree and are completely risk averse to making changes to resolve them while discussing weight loss/public transport/car parking and My Kitchen Rules all day! She is rationing her work out to ensure she doesn't finish her working day at 11am.

I would consider doing some basic work in the interim, however you don't get considered for jobs that you are obviously overqualified for. It's all a bit disheartening as I can't really get on with my life till I've secured something. I would be happy to do some work to tide me over for some pocket cash and to meet some new people - I'm starting to see seek.com in my dreams ;)

• Like 1

Hi I am a qualified Diesel Mechanic and teacher and was living in Melbourne, but needed a sponsor because I am 55 so am on the scrap heap, I applied for hundreds of jobs, registered my CV with all of the agencies that post on here and most (not all) but most can not even bother to acknowledge you exist: I keep returning to UK, work for a few months build up capital and return again, I even studied and passed Australian qualifications to back up my UK full apprenticeship and City and Guilds: I have all the experience for the trades that are desperate to find qualified workers: still nothing!!

I have been back and forward nine times todate, still want to work and live in OZ (have friends and somewhere to live just outside of Melbourne)

But each time its getting harder, I have spent most of my savings and now must rely on the money I earn each time I am back in UK

but when living in OZ and not working the money gets swallowed very quickly

Edited by jaffa57
typo

Hi

You are not alone, I would say that most job seekers find exactly the same as you. My daughter spent a lot of time trying to get work at one stage and you are right they just do not answer.

Seek and Career One jobs so many going for them and they just pick the ones they want and don't bother to let the others know, rude but that is the way it is now.

For trades I would register with one of the agencies that handles your kind of work, the agencies are still the best way to get a job. Or private ads in local papers etc. Also just ask around at the plumbing supply shops.

Problem in Aus is that most plumbers are self employed so that may be what you have to do. If you have all the credentials then perhaps you check their prices they charge and put an add in the local rage and see how it goes.

The plumber across the road works for himself and has just taken his son on, not someone else son his son.

Good luck do not give up.

• Like 1

Hi I am a qualified Diesel Mechanic and teacher and was living in Melbourne, but needed a sponsor because I am 55 so am on the scrap heap, I applied for hundreds of jobs, registered my CV with all of the agencies that post on here and most (not all) but most can not even bother to acknowledge you exist: I keep returning to UK, work for a few months build up capital and return again, I even studied and passed Australian qualifications to back up my UK full apprenticeship and City and Guilds: I have all the experience for the trades that are desperate to find qualified workers: still nothing!!

I have been back and forward nine times todate, still want to work and live in OZ (have friends and somewhere to live just outside of Melbourne)

But each time its getting harder, I have spent most of my savings and now must rely on the money I earn each time I am back in UK

but when living in OZ and not working the money gets swallowed very quickly

I know the feeling that is exactly me all over ! you are doing exactly what I am doing I'm starting to think is it really worth wasting all my money into there economy for nothing in return ! but then we all know how the Uk is going so over populated and my monies going down and now another influx of immigrants is on the way complete joke !

• Like 1

Anika - hope your PA test went well, those things are a pain. I cant understand the Aussie faacination with them, how do they prove anything over years of actual work experience?

Armitchell - sorry, i know nothing of plumbing or Melbourne. Just wanted to say good luck, it is demoralising being rejected for every application. Maybe dont tell them on your initial contact you're British and see if you get a better response? Then at least you can convince them of your ability once you're in front of them?

Thank you for your input I have been down that road before I managed to get in front of them and they still weren't interested I got the feeling they got frightened !