Moving to Canberra!

applehead

Hi I am a single 25 year old guy coming to Canberra in August and will be working at the hospital

My salary will be around $78,000 AUS

Would it be feasible to live in the city centre (civic) and commute to the hospital or would you recommend living in an area closer to the hospital

I still enjoy going out so would prefer an area with lots of bars and restaurants preferably within walking distance

I am also thinking about finding a room mate to share with in order to make sure that I meet new people

I have heard that ACT in general is ridiculously expensive for housing, do you think I will be able to rent somewhere semi decent on my wage?

Cheers

I'm not a Canberran but I do visit Canberra a lot for work.

Canberra is slightly cheaper compared to Sydney, Melbourne or Perth when you compare similar suburbs. The averages make it sound more expensive, because the other capital cities have far flung, cheap suburbs which bring the averages down. Canberra is more compact with less variation. Rental in Canberra used to be expensive because of the demand from politicians and students, but there's been a huge amount of development of new apartments and it's now a renters' market (though the real estate industry is trying hard to keep that quiet). If you're arriving in August you won't be competing with students (the school year starts in January), so don't be scared to negotiate with the agent, you should be able to bargain them down.

Commuting in Canberra is a doddle, the roads are good and rarely congested, so there's no need to live in the centre - and Civic is fairly dead, anyway. A lot of the best restaurants and nightlife are outside the city centre, in various suburbs. Personally I like the area around Kingston and Manuka but some might find that snobby (and it's the most expensive). Braddon is grungy but cool. You might check out the University websites for advice, you're likely to like the same locations they do.

Hi I am a single 25 year old guy coming to Canberra in August and will be working at the hospital

My salary will be around $78,000 AUS

Would it be feasible to live in the city centre (civic) and commute to the hospital or would you recommend living in an area closer to the hospital

I still enjoy going out so would prefer an area with lots of bars and restaurants preferably within walking distance

I am also thinking about finding a room mate to share with in order to make sure that I meet new people

I have heard that ACT in general is ridiculously expensive for housing, do you think I will be able to rent somewhere semi decent on my wage?

Cheers

Here are a few links to info that might help you

General info (including some about migrating to Canberra)

http://www.canberrayourfuture.com.au/portal/living/

Lots of rentals and share accommodation are listed on the All Homes site

http://www.allhomes.com.au/

A lot of people recommend the Kingston and Manuka areas but I think they are a bit 'last year' and are far more popluar with 'yummy mummies' and the 'upwardly mobile who are still trying to make it' than with young people. Civic seems to be the place to be on Friday and Saturday nights if you want to hang out with the young crowd to dance, drink, pick-up etc.

Yes, living in Civic would be perfectly commutable - you could even ride your bike down to he hospital without too much hassle. New Acton is the slightly "buzzier" area with loads of new apartment blocks but slightly more expensive than Braddon which is generally older and perhaps more of a haunt for students. You can also look on the uni accommodation boards for house shares (with students, usually). Kingston and Manuka are generally more Yuppie as FF said but, really, nowhere is that far from anywhere!!!

as a singleton on approaching the average Canberra wage you should be ok as there are lots of economies you can make that families can't.

Edited by Quoll

Braddon is the new 'it' pace with new cafe's, bars etc opening all the time. The old tyre joint is now a co-op space and very 'hip'. The new residential/retail block will add to that. Manuka/Kingston now jaded but it always reinvents itself. Canberra has more cafes/restaurants per head than anywhere else in the country, if you can't find something to suit you're not looking. Approx 4.5 times the retail space per head of anywhere else in Oz makes for cheap shopping. Haggle on everything, never pay retail.

Guest Bazinga

I hate to be pedantic, but which hospital?! If you're working south you won't want to be far flung north and vice versa. Commuting doesnt take long in Canberra really but still its nice to be close to where you work if you can.

That salary is pretty good, so you'll find something decent for sure. Have a look at gumtree too.

Gee, Wendee, have they finally done something with the old Pizza Hut space? Took them long enough!

yep massive block of aparments. The other side is coffee roasters, cafe's, wood fired pizza, new hip bakery going in, Discount Tyres/Goodyear now a collection of arty shops.

Thanks everyone!

I will be working in Emergency at Canberra hospital..

Then I'd stay Southside or Narrabundah (getting trendy) or Fadden etc. Canberra is 40km end to end so can be quite a drive if you go outer Northside.

Guest Bazinga

Oh def stay Southside then! If I ever get an ED placement at Canberra Hospital I'll look for the fellow pom :) Maybe go for a house share in one of the surrounding suburbs? Once you get here you might be able to houseshare with people from the hospital? Bound to be notice boards etc. I have friends who work in the NICU there so pm me if you'd like me to ask them if they know of anything going.

Or have a look at 1 beds in Woden Valley (covers a lot of suburbs) on http://www.allhomes.com.au/ah/act/rent-residential I like Lyons and Hughes but if you want a bit of life maybe Philip because that's nearish the westfield/shops/Hellenic club

Edited by Bazinga

Nah, go central! Not Fadden. - unless you are over 40 with a couple of kids. You could live in the ghastly tower block endorsed by Lauren Jackson (or did it fall down?) but, really, commuting from Civic is a doddle.

Cool, How long would the commute be from civic to the Canberra hospital? Would I be able to cycle if I wanted?

I dont particularly like commuting but definitely want to be close to the bars and shops etc...

Cool, How long would the commute be from civic to the Canberra hospital? Would I be able to cycle if I wanted?

I dont particularly like commuting but definitely want to be close to the bars and shops etc...

I used to commute the opposite way (from Issacs to Civic) and that was about 9mi. It was all cycle path with some on-road and some off-road, here's a link to my route if you're curious: http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/103513845/1569761

So I guess to the hospital would be around 8mi or 12K give or take and you'd just stay on the path on Yamba drive rather than cutting through Woden like I did and you'd come off Adelaide Av just before the state circle as that's the way the path goes.

HTH

Edited by pntaylor
Information edits

Also...the hospital is well served by buses and there's only 4 sets of lights between there and Civic, it's literally one road between them. There are worse places to get to around Canberra.

• 3 weeks later...

Investigate the Kingston/Manuka areas, or Woden but that's not so 'up n coming' or trendy. Dead easy to commute from there, on a bike or by car. If you want to live around Civic the commute is still very easy. My husband cycled from where we were just about a mile south of the hospital into Civic for 9 months (We've moved now) - it was around 9 miles each way.