PR granted!!! :)

Tickled Pink

I'm very pleased to announce that we have been granted our PR after five months of waiting. We came over on a 457 a year ago, but its nice to know we can now fully make ourselves at home.

Although the flooding is a little stressful at the moment... but seeing the community pull together makes me see why I love being here. I'm proud to be granted full residency.

So a 457 visa means that you are a temporary worker. If you have children in some states you will need to pay school fees, in all states you won't be able to get any help with childcare. You can't claim any kind of benefits. Buying a house is easier with permanent residency, as you don't need FIRB approval. With permanent residency you can come and go as you please, and can apply for citizenship after 4 years (12 months of which must be as PR). The 457 visa ties you to the employer who has sponsored you, and if you decide to leave that job, you get made redundant, you have 28 days to either find another employer to take over your sponsorship or you must leave the country. PR opens up many more job opportunities as the employer will not need to apply for any visa for you, and you may become more eligible for other jobs - e.g. public services.

To move from 457 to a pr visa you have to apply as it is a whole new visa. If your employer sponsors you then the 186 or 187 are the ones you can apply for.

No time limit before you can apply, your employer (if you are going to take the 186/187 route) needs to nominate you. Some will do it very quickly, like ours did, but others may want you to work for them for one or two years first, of course some may not be willing to nominate you at all.

I think the employer nomination fee is about $500, then your fee would be $3060. Then you would need to apply for police check for adults from the UK, and family medicals which are about $250 each. If you have been working for your employer less than two years you will need a skills assessment (unless on the exempt occupation list).

You'd also need to meet all the requirements of the particular visa, e.g. age, post qualification experience etc

I'm very pleased to announce that we have been granted our PR after five months of waiting. We came over on a 457 a year ago, but its nice to know we can now fully make ourselves at home.

Although the flooding is a little stressful at the moment... but seeing the community pull together makes me see why I love being here. I'm proud to be granted full residency.

Many congrats! :cute: Jxxxx

Archived