Margaret river or perth city what would you choose?

nicjam51

What would you choose Perth town area or Margaret river- busslton or Albany. Decisions, so many places to live. Anybody living in any of these ares or close by to any of them, some input would be appreciated. They all look great! Thanks everyone.:biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
Hi ali

yes its hard looking at different areas, not so sure about living in a city, out of the city would be good. How far out of the city are you?

Thanks

We're only 10 mins by train (15-20) by car, we go to a few sporting events and concerts so being 20 mins away from home is great for us.

I love living near Perth and near the beach. Seems the best of both worlds to me. Margaret River, Albany and Busselton are all nice places. I quite like Augusta and Esperance as well, but they are all smaller holiday places. Perth is a City and would have everyhting you would expect from a City. There is no need to go there if you don't want to though. I've only been into Perth twice this year and that was for a couple of drinking sessions at Christmas. Most of the time we wouldn't even know we were near a City, Joondalup is closer to us and we are 2 mins away from a beach which is one of the best anywhere. There are shopping centres, movie theatres, markets, live bands, restaurants all within easy reach without ever having to go near Perth.

I'd choose Margaret River, if I could get work there - for me I need to be close to a City as that's where most companies have their HQ's.

Busselton and Albany are both nice too :)

Maybe if you don't need to be near a city for work you could consider Bunbury too - not too far if you feel the need for city lights a couple of times a year.

Realistically most people need to be near to Perth for work, a lot depends on what you do.

Perhaps Mandurah would appeal? There is a sense of place there - not just a suburb but close enough for a daily commute (fat too far for my liking but plenty do it)

Do you have to choose before you get here?? No-one can really say what you will like!

I live in Margaret River...

On a positive note been here just over 2 months both me and OH got work very quickly.

We got a rental within a week

We both love it here, Husband is a surfer so thats why we moved here.

Shoes are optional in Margaret river.

Whats your job? That will make a difference.

Negative : Hmmm really cant think of any except rentals are in high demand here so that would be all.

In summer its renamed as MARKUP River because its more expensive here.. Gas is 10 cents cheaper just 25 mins away in Busselton.

I don't for the most part do suburbs If you mean inner city then I would go with that . Remember though it'll cost more but you will have the convenience on your door step of multiple cafes,24 hour super market and not need the dreaded car for every step made out side the house.

I know the South Coast having lived in Albany. Here it depends very much on vocation. Albany has great natural attractions and I like the recently built entertainment centre on the waterfront there. There is a good curryhouse and a couple of decent although expensive pubs. As in smaller communities it can be hard to break into a social setting....

Marg River is nice but too small and over priced for my liking. More a holiday town. Bunbury has its admirers. It's an ok place with train to Perth... more practical perhaps than Albany,though I prefer the latter......

Thanks everyone for those great replies, it has give me a little more insite to different places.

I am a hairdresser but needing employment sponsorship so i will more likely have to go where someone will sponsore me and give me a job, but at the same breath we don't want to live just anywhere.

I like the look of Margeret river but i also like the look of some other areas outside Perth city.

The problem is we really would love to live near a beach sort of around/ upto 30 mins drive but also want plenty amenities.

My husband is planning to work in a mine in Perth so we also have to take that into concideration! We think the closer to Perth city area would be better for him to fly in and out, i just find the whole thing quite hard. At present we live in a village but is also only 15 minutes drive into a town and has an abundance of shops within a 5 minute drive. I suppose i'm looking for something similar to what we have already but WARMER! Would love more input on this ! Thanks guys

Thanks everyone for those great replies, it has give me a little more insite to different places.

I am a hairdresser but needing employment sponsorship so i will more likely have to go where someone will sponsore me and give me a job, but at the same breath we don't want to live just anywhere.

I like the look of Margeret river but i also like the look of some other areas outside Perth city.

The problem is we really would love to live near a beach sort of around/ upto 30 mins drive but also want plenty amenities.

My husband is planning to work in a mine in Perth so we also have to take that into concideration! We think the closer to Perth city area would be better for him to fly in and out, i just find the whole thing quite hard. At present we live in a village but is also only 15 minutes drive into a town and has an abundance of shops within a 5 minute drive. I suppose i'm looking for something similar to what we have already but WARMER! Would love more input on this ! Thanks guys

I think i would forget about areas for now and concentrate on getting a visa. If you are planning on a sponsored visa, these are VERY hard to get and you need a good reason why an employer would want to hire someone from the other side of the world - in other words you are going to having to prove something special.

Also, you mention your husband intends to work in a mine. Does he have any mine skills?

Hi

no he has no mining skills but we've been told he'll need to do some courses to get tickets/ certificates when we get to Australia. So that they will be

Australian approved. He's a hard worker and he'll do what he can to get in.

I don't want to burst your bubble and I am not saying it's impossible but the likelihood of finding a sponsor is remote. An employer has to prove they cannot find an Australian citizen or PR with suitable skills and there is no shortage of young. fit, healthy and hardworking people keen to break into mining. There is a good thread on here from someone that managed to do it but they were already in Australia.

Even none mining jobs at mine sites are reluctant to take married men without FIFO experience as the attrition rate is very high.

Any kind of labour agreement or training scheme that would be offered to someone without skills overseas is likely to be exploitative. If you are offered a 457 visa then you have to be aware that at any point it can be terminated and you have 28 days to leave.

Quite honestly where to live is the last thing you need to worry about though if your partner plans to FIFO I would think you'd be better in Perth.

Like I said I'm not saying it's impossible but it won't be easy and it takes more than hard work.

If your living in an UK village at the moment and enjoy it, then chances are you would make it work in any of the regional towns youve mentioned.

Im a city girl, so i find them nice for a visit but to live or even holiday there wouldnt be enough for me.

As others have said though, please dont just assume you can rock up and get a job in the mines. Have a look on gumtree.com.au and you will even see people offering $$$ if someone can help them get job in them.

Would you really even want that kind of lifestyle for your family. You say you want what youve got at the moment but with warmer weather, which is totally accecptable, but does you OH work way from home for weeks on end at present. Cant see that being much fun. Fifo works fine for many a family but would it really be worth all the upheaval that comes with migrating just to have to spend weeks and weeks on your own with small children.

Im not saying dont follow your dream, but maybe a sprinkle of reality may be needed

Good luck

Hi

no he has no mining skills but we've been told he'll need to do some courses to get tickets/ certificates when we get to Australia. So that they will be

Australian approved. He's a hard worker and he'll do what he can to get in.

Sorry to be another bubble burtster, but the mining industry has been in downturn for some months now. Mines have laid off a lot of staff. It was always difficult to get in without specific skills. But now i would not fancy your chances as you will be joining the back of a long que in which most of those ahead of you have mine experience.

If I were you I would aim for a suburb just on the outskirts of the city, an older suburb so it has services and walkable things to do.

We like Subiaco and feel its the best area Perth has to offer but Fremantle is good too. You can cycle to the beach, buses and trains are every 10 minutes to almost anywhere, there are bars and shops all over and the area is nice, but it depends on your situation. We dont have kids so only need a small place. If I had kids I would head further north to Joondalup.

More than about 15 mins from Perth City just gets a bit sparse for us and its full of British (however I have come to think an area full of brits is probably a good thing being a brit as I feel the ozzies dont really like the brits much, maybe a colonial chip on the shoulder rather than dislike). Even though the Abbo's are the only reall ozzies :biggrin:

I wouldnt live down south near or at Margret River, I would suggest going there for a week first and see how bored you get after 2 days. Its nice to visit and get out of Perth but I couldnt live there.

Paul1perth - you must be wrinkly mate you always down the beach haha

At my age mate I would have wrinkles anyway. Long passed caring about how I look.

The beach and lifestyle is what we came for mate and still enjoy it just as much as when we first arrived. IMO if that is what you want and what you came for it's no good getting a house any more than a 10 minute drive away and then complaining that you never get time to go there. It might mean moving a bit further North or South out of the City but it's still do-able.

I've been this morning and had a ski paddle and coffee with a few friends before work, great way to start the day. Getting a bit dark at 5:30am though.

If I were you I would aim for a suburb just on the outskirts of the city, an older suburb so it has services and walkable things to do.

We like Subiaco and feel its the best area Perth has to offer but Fremantle is good too. You can cycle to the beach, buses and trains are every 10 minutes to almost anywhere, there are bars and shops all over and the area is nice, but it depends on your situation. We dont have kids so only need a small place. If I had kids I would head further north to Joondalup.

More than about 15 mins from Perth City just gets a bit sparse for us and its full of British (however I have come to think an area full of brits is probably a good thing being a brit as I feel the ozzies dont really like the brits much, maybe a colonial chip on the shoulder rather than dislike). Even though the Abbo's are the only reall ozzies :biggrin:

I wouldnt live down south near or at Margret River, I would suggest going there for a week first and see how bored you get after 2 days. Its nice to visit and get out of Perth but I couldnt live there.

Paul1perth - you must be wrinkly mate you always down the beach haha

Subi is pretty much as good as it gets in the Perth metro area but comes at a price. I have my doubts if it is worth the cost but an individual consideration whether to go with that.

There is not a lot of choice in Perth Metro of burbs that offer a choice such as that in the sense of self containment so do see the attraction.

In my view Joondalup is ok but a bit of a lost chance in its construction with not really offering as much of an alternative to urban living as would/should have been. Life still focus's around an over extended shopping centre with little vibe on a street level.

East Perth largely fails in my opinion for similar reasons.

I wouldn't say Aussies don't like Brits much. They tend to be rather private and closed sort of folk,contary to popular opinion,as such hard to know or often befriend(in my experience) Unless the have personal experience of them not liking Poms,I would suggest they are that way no matter where you may come from and even other Aussies.

I am actually a fan of the beach as well and go early a lot of mornings. Few I know do so these days,which is a little odd to me with Perth being a beach city first and foremost. Don't mind a tan either but don't burn. No wrinckles either lol...

At my age mate I would have wrinkles anyway. Long passed caring about how I look.

The beach and lifestyle is what we came for mate and still enjoy it just as much as when we first arrived. IMO if that is what you want and what you came for it's no good getting a house any more than a 10 minute drive away and then complaining that you never get time to go there. It might mean moving a bit further North or South out of the City but it's still do-able.

I've been this morning and had a ski paddle and coffee with a few friends before work, great way to start the day. Getting a bit dark at 5:30am though.

I agree and I'm down at Cottosloe some mornings at a similar time. Without the beach what is there in Perth? I wrote on another thread the other day that the massive decline in smoking was probably one of the most noticable changes in my life. Add to that the decline in beach going culture in Oz. I can remember a couple of decades back the beach was the most popular pursuit of almost anyone under 40.

It is the best way to start the day and probably the healthiest.Sea Water is a medinicial property. A bit of sun exposure does no harm either.

I agree and I'm down at Cottosloe some mornings at a similar time. Without the beach what is there in Perth? I wrote on another thread the other day that the massive decline in smoking was probably one of the most noticable changes in my life. Add to that the decline in beach going culture in Oz. I can remember a couple of decades back the beach was the most popular pursuit of almost anyone under 40.

It is the best way to start the day and probably the healthiest.Sea Water is a medinicial property. A bit of sun exposure does no harm either.

From what I see at weekends it still is. There may be a lot that spend more time looking at their mobiles than at the opposite sex, like it used to be, but there are still plenty of teenagers down there.

A couple of times during the week there are big groups of young kids doing board or ski training with the surf club coaches too. I'm sure you see that at Cottesloe as they have always been a competitive club at youngster level. You don't get that by going to the beach to sunbathe.

I can't agree with

Without the beach what is there in Perth?

though. I think there is heaps to do. Wineries 10 mins from where we live, movie theatres all over the place, swimming pools outdoor that aren't expensive to use, are laned off so you can swim and usually have free barbecues and covered areas for families, good bike tracks for road and mountain bikes, loads of well kept parks, tennis courts a plenty, breweries, pubs. In fact all the things you could expect anywhere else, the beach and clean ocean an added extra.

I dont dislike it here at all but I guess I miss the other things to do rather than just the beach, excersize and few pubs. Dont get me wrong I like to excersize but I'm knackered after an hours worth, what to do the other 12 hours :biggrin:

One thing Perth has is pubs and pints - thank the lord for that.

QLD and VIC had half lagers in rubbish pubs still for $8-10 per drink and the pubs had pokies which I find anoying. I go to the pub as a social/getting bevvied thing not to sit and gamble etc..

The beach is good in Perth I do go often.

I can't see myself long term here but never say never and I guess the private people thing is probably nail on head rather than a dislike.

One thing about Perth is that it isnt as full of bogans with sentences tatooed on their necks like you see on every other person in QLD.

Thanks for all your replies, some bubble bursting going on, but i know your only trying to help, i already know how extreamly hard finding sponsorship is as i'm busy trying, i know the mines are extreamly hard to get into,and we know someone who works at one of the mines and he is guiding us with that. I am just trying to get a feel for areas with peoples input, which has been great, i Know we may not get where we would like to live because of jobs. I know it's not ideal for my husband to work away but he doesn't have a trade and it's a sacrifice we would make for a while. I feel we can make this work, why should'nt it work. If you put 100% into it and keep trying. You have to be positive not negative and thanks for your input dustyroad, gudonya.:biggrin:

Archived