What are the things you most miss about the UK?

richselina

Hi,

As we move closer to our move date our minds are beginning to turn towards what we'd miss most about the UK (aside from Family and Friends). What are the things that you'd miss or are missing the most about the UK?

Looking forward to some interesting comments.

Rich

I would miss the seasons...(Albeit they seem to now blend into one!) But the crispness of a winter morning, the lovely Autumn and maybe, perhaps, just a tad...the rainy days curled up on the sofa nose in a good book! (Although it rains a lot in Sydney at times so i guess i'd be just fine on this one ;)

I'd miss obv things like friends and family.

Familiarity of places and things i have always known...

Foodie/Drink things - Bacon and good sausages...haha! Yorkshire Tea... although i'm sure these are things i could find over there if i really wanted...and were willing to pay a price!

Materialistic things - Topshop, My Mini (won't be able to take that with me!) erm...M & S....TV progammes...

can't really think of anything else!!

Chippy chips and steak and kidney puddings. The only 2 things I haven't been able to replicate here.

There is a proper British style chippy owned by an English guy on Beaufort Street in Inglewood. It does proper fish n chips wrapped up in newspaper. Good n proper greasy ones n all!!

I would definately miss the freedom to walk the countryside.The close proximity to Europe for travel.Culture,cottage gardens,birdsong,pubs,NHS (yes really! lol),cheapness of food etc,double story houses,living 1.5hr train ride from London to go to gigs/festivals,being able to afford my os holidays,history,landscape,villages,my garden,my nearest city (Bath),my buddhists monk/temple,british people in general,snow,native flora/fauna....and....well if I think of anymore I'll post back!:cute:

Been here a month and not missing that much.....yet.

Drivers and pedestrians aren't anywhere near as polite as in the UK so I miss that.

Familiarity of places but then I'd be stupid for moving across the world and excepting everything to be familiar!

Watching football with my Dad - any football, I know he'll be glued to African Nations Cup this week, but preferably a big Premiership/ Champions League/ FA Cup game.

Sinking large amounts of Rioja and single malt with said parent.

Meeting up with old mates and catching up on what's going on in their lives - "My god!, you've pu.....have you been working out?"

London Underground.

Cold Weather.

Curry.

Picking up the paper on the train home and knowing who the article/ picture is about.

Drizzle. It's underrated.

HMV Megastores - I go away for a few years and look what happens :mad:

The one decent pub nearby which does a good sunday roast and has nice real ales.

Staff in shops just serving me and not sounding like double-glacing salesmen - "How are you today?" Always throws me into a sweat that one. Have we met?. I'm not sure I'm ready for this level of self-disclosure just yet.

Sausage Dinners - that's sausages, chips, mushy peas and onion gravy (lashings of) in a polystyrene carton to be eaten on the way home after 9 pints of Badgers Knackers.

Frost - see Drizzle.

Ginsters Pasties - travelling around the UK without them wouldn't be the same.

Apparently proper British fish and chips shop that have tried it Down Under don't survive as the Aussies simply don't like them, the Aussie chips tend to be those rubbish frozen ones with Chicken salt and white vinegar and the fish is Snapper.

The pies were 'Mrs Macs' in WA, bloody awful by compared with say Pukka Pies with peas and Carrots, the Aussies swear by them I swore at them, I don't think the likes of mushy peas and battered sausages sell alledgally plus the difficulty of importing UK items makes it expensive!

I replied to one of these trheads a couple of weeks back and said (honestly) nothing really, because I'm not here for good so I don't "miss" things as such because they'll still (mostly) be there when I get back

Not sure that's very informative though, so I had another think about the stuff I sort of miss, and would if I were here for the long haul. Family and friends aside, they are:

London. The whole busy, buzzy, creative, dirty, inventive mess that it is and everything that comes with it

The sort of urban landscape you can only get with towns that have grown up over a few centuries

Proximity of Europe and the ease with which you can visit/interact with other cultures for a weekend if you fancy a break, any time

Diversity of rural landscapes in a very small area

Number and cosyness of pubs and good beer.

Snugness and warmth of houses in winter

Ordnance survey maps, rights of way and ease of access to countryside

I don't miss:

Current economic travails

Level of moaning that goes on, mostly in pubs, often about things like immigration

Traffic congestion in the south east of England

Class snobbery (either way)

HTH

Watching football with my Dad - any football, I know he'll be glued to African Nations Cup this week, but preferably a big Premiership/ Champions League/ FA Cup game.

Sinking large amounts of Rioja and single malt with said parent.

Meeting up with old mates and catching up on what's going on in their lives - "My god!, you've pu.....have you been working out?"

London Underground.

Cold Weather.

Curry.

Picking up the paper on the train home and knowing who the article/ picture is about.

Drizzle. It's underrated.

HMV Megastores - I go away for a few years and look what happens :mad:

The one decent pub nearby which does a good sunday roast and has nice real ales.

Staff in shops just serving me and not sounding like double-glacing salesmen - "How are you today?" Always throws me into a sweat that one. Have we met?. I'm not sure I'm ready for this level of self-disclosure just yet.

Sausage Dinners - that's sausages, chips, mushy peas and onion gravy (lashings of) in a polystyrene carton to be eaten on the way home after 9 pints of Badgers Knackers.

Frost - see Drizzle.

Ginsters Pasties - travelling around the UK without them wouldn't be the same.

You are Alan Partridge and I claim my $10.

Guest Guest40285

Decent Cider, pasties, Curry, Sausages, Marks and Spencer, British country side, Church bells, football, pubs. My brother. Being close to Europe.

Decent supermarket curry you can just chuck in the microwave after a few beers. The ones from Coles n Woolies are dire! Morrisons did some nice ones. There are times we fancy a curry and just don't have the stuff to hand to make one, nor the time to buy ingredients let alone cook!

Used to miss pubs but we've discovered some corkers recently, so no more of that!

I would miss,

The beautiful rolling south downs (there is no better place for a picnic in all the world)

The seaside, complete with piers and cockles

Snow (had a wonderful day sledging with my wife and step daughter the other day.) Snow allows us old crusty types behave like kids again!

Brighton, with its vibe and fantastic eateries

Crisp frosty mornings, I love em and always have.

Camping in the new forest. So many great memories.

Fantastic reasonably priced nosh and ale, all served up in a lovely country pub, by a roaring log fire. Magic

Proximity to everywhere, within the UK. My last visit to Liverpool was only £34 return from Sussex, as I booked ahead.

Proximity to Europe. Been to Rome, Turkey, Cyprus and Lanzarote in the past two years. Lanzarote was Ryanair flights of £35 each return, and the villa was £500 between ten of us! Beat that oz...

The people in general, from north to south and east to west.

The bbc channels

Question Time

Liverpool and London. I have lived in both for a total of 25 years of my life. Both hold a special place in my heart.

Historical buildings.

I am sure there are a hundred and one other things I would miss but do not realise I would miss. When my daughter was back from Brisbane a few weeks ago, she told me she missed english trees and clouds. As well as people calling her love. I doubt any of these would have been on her list before she moved, so I think be prepared to be surprised at what you will miss.

I just remembered, she also said she preferred UK chocolate and uk prices for clothes. She also said something that really caught me. She said, you know how excited you feel on christmas eve when you too excited to sleep (well I haven't felt that way for a while but she is only 13 and a young 13 at that), so I said yes, and she said, well I didn't feel that way at all this year. It just didn't feel like christmas. She said she sat there hugging this giant cinnamon candle that they always light on christmas eve, but that they couldn't light this year because the rental lease said no candles, and tried to make herself feel christmassy, but it did not work. She said the heat stopped it feeling like christmas.

Archived