Am I missing something?

Sapphire

I was just reading another thread, and someone was saying that they had been over for a stay with relatives and been to the supermarket, and they really dident think the food prices were any higher.

Theres a few replies now, saying its much cheaper?

Now am I missing something here?.Theres just the 2 of us, we dont eat meat,and we are finding the prices are very high for just about everything.A pack of 3 peppers (I just cant call them Capsicums,,,sorry), $6.99, I could buy a pack in Tesco for a pound, and thats just one thing. Washing liquid is on offer for $21.95 at the moment (reduced by $10.00),but I could buy the same in Tesco for 4 pounds.

But what do you guys really think about the food prices?

Even the Veggie shed here, is very expensive, probably more so than the supermarket.

Its plain crazy,when I come out with just a few items, and its over $100.I wouldent mind if we ate luxuries all the time, but we dont.

Just another thought, I do not know for the life of me, how you can do a virtual shop online at Tesco and then one at Coles and come up with the conclusion , Aus is far cheaper???????

Please can someone explain, because i am baffled I really am.

Very very expensive for inferior quality food IMO, I ffound the fruit and veg expensive and it just seemed so limp and tasteless compared to the UK, the only way is to try and grow your own but that ain't easy in oz, I found alcohol extortionate especially decent bottled beers, the only good cheaper I found was steaks but they did not compare in taste to he steaks I get from my local butcher over here.

I suppose if you eat junk food and want to live on Pot Noodle and Maggi Nooodles, it may be cheaper.But being veggies, we want fresh fruit and veg, and like you say PB, it does taste limp and lifeless.I always try to buy imported, if the price is about the same because it does taste better than stuff grown in Aus.

We could never afford to buy organic like we did in the UK,they have very little selection, and the prices really are so high for anything organic.

Growing our own isant an option because we are hoping to leave soon,and like to say its very difficult to grow your own in Aus.

The price of alcohol is just plain criminal. I dont drink, but Hubby likes a beer, and I think he pays around $50 for a carton of 24 Boags now.They make the Boags here, in Tas, yet apparantly you can buy it cheaper on the mainland!

food is shockingly expensive in Coles and Woolworths, they are just taking the piss. Shop at Aldi and you'll see much more reasonable pricing, they actually try to keep prices low, rather than pretend to.

The thing about Coles and Woolies which really gets on my t1ts is their advertising on telly, they love to tug at the nationalistic heartstrings, shameful really.

I agree the prices are higher here in Oz and they are saying the prices here are going down, would hate to think what the prices were like when they were 'high'!

I too am a vegetarian and used to eat loads of veges in the UK, my children used to eat lots of different fruit aswell but just cant do that here as cant justify spending $5 on a pack of blueberries that was half the size of what you could buy in ASDA and half the price. I guess I have been used to having every single fruit and veg available in the UK whereas here you can only get certain fruits at certain times. Cant afford to buy the raspberries or cherries. I just expected being in Australia that everything was going to be readily available, a lot more fresher and better quality!

Also what is with fish being so expensive aswell, considering how close we are to the coast, why are the prices so different?

I have noticed as well, Coles have lots of things that are 20% off.Now I have been watching over the last few weeks, as my suspicious mind, was working in overdrive.What I have now realised is that they take 20% off the price, or put something on offer, and then leave it like that for a week or so, and then when the offer finishes they put the item up 20 or 30c (sometimes more).They have loads of products like this at the moment, so they must be planning some serious price increases.

I have just spent $125 in there this morning on next to nothing .

I complained about the strawberries in Coles the other day, every single punnet was rotton.They did take them off display though and they havent had any since

Like Gadgetboy, we thought Fruit and Veg would be in abundance,but the lack of variety is shocking.You would think Australia would be a world leader in Fresh Fruit and Veg

The cost of groceries are simply outrageous, a total piss take.

I've just done my shopping this morning and I'd kept grumbling to myself all the time, apricots $12.98 a kilo, they can keep them and let them all rot on the shelves, mango has gone up by $1 each from $2.68 to $3.68 - I thought they were in season (?) - why the need to increase the price then, tomatoes $6 for a kilo, nappies have gone up by $2. I used to love duck pancakes back in the UK, I used to make them a lot, here we only have it as a treat as it would be roughly $20 for the ingredients to make them.... I could go on and on.

We don't have Aldi here in Perth, so I have no choice but to shop at Coles.

These days, I'm doing my shopping with a calculator, I simply cannot go above $200 for a week's grocery shopping, if it goes above that figure even by just $2, I put something back, and the only way I can keep the cost of shopping down is to cook a big meal and eat it, plus take it to work for lunch, for 2-3 days.

Living the dream..... yeah right, our living here consists of constant budgeting, sacrificing, penny pinching and sometimes I don't eat so my daughter can have the left over meal or a special fruit, so I don't have to go out and pay more for an extra days meal to keep within the budget.

Rant over.

Like you I can not see where anyone gets the idea that food is cheaper here We go back to the UK often and food is much cheaper there For example we pay 4 quid for fish and chips and nearly $19 here ( beaut fish and chip shop but we have 30 minutes drive to get there !)

I pay $4 for decent bread that does not go off in a day or 2 -food has gone up so much here in the past few years its beyond a joke

food is shockingly expensive in Coles and Woolworths, they are just taking the piss. Shop at Aldi and you'll see much more reasonable pricing, they actually try to keep prices low, rather than pretend to.

The thing about Coles and Woolies which really gets on my t1ts is their advertising on telly, they love to tug at the nationalistic heartstrings, shameful really.

"Making Australia grow" mate.

I agree the prices are higher here in Oz and they are saying the prices here are going down, would hate to think what the prices were like when they were 'high'!

I too am a vegetarian and used to eat loads of veges in the UK, my children used to eat lots of different fruit aswell but just cant do that here as cant justify spending $5 on a pack of blueberries that was half the size of what you could buy in ASDA and half the price. I guess I have been used to having every single fruit and veg available in the UK whereas here you can only get certain fruits at certain times. Cant afford to buy the raspberries or cherries. I just expected being in Australia that everything was going to be readily available, a lot more fresher and better quality!

Also what is with fish being so expensive aswell, considering how close we are to the coast, why are the prices so different?

And the cost of wine, in a wine-producing country?. Yeah I know you can buy Bowlers Run for $4 a bottle, but I kind of value my tastebuds (and my gums for that matter). Buying decent wine aint cheap. My family were shocked when they came over and found Wolf Blass dearer in Dan Murphys warehouse than it was in Sainsburys. Surely shipping it to the UK ramps up the price, so what excuse do Melbourne retailers have when the Yarra Valley is on their bloody doorstep?. Bourbon too. A bog standard bottle of the stuff will set you back between $30-35 in the local liquor stores. I'm not talking about Jim Beam or Jack Daniels, but Australian-distilled stuff. That's 20-22 quid sterling a bottle by my estimate. Compare that with ASDA selling a bottle of Bells or Grants Whiskey for a tenner. Rip-off Australia, roll right up!

I was just reading another thread, and someone was saying that they had been over for a stay with relatives and been to the supermarket, and they really dident think the food prices were any higher.Theres a few replies now, saying its much cheaper?Now am I missing something here?.Theres just the 2 of us, we dont eat meat,and we are finding the prices are very high for just about everything.A pack of 3 peppers (I just cant call them Capsicums,,,sorry), $6.99, I could buy a pack in Tesco for a pound, and thats just one thing. Washing liquid is on offer for $21.95 at the moment (reduced by $10.00),but I could buy the same in Tesco for 4 pounds.But what do you guys really think about the food prices?Even the Veggie shed here, is very expensive, probably more so than the supermarket.Its plain crazy,when I come out with just a few items, and its over $100.I wouldent mind if we ate luxuries all the time, but we dont.
If the peppers were only $6.99 here in Perth I would buy them! Ours are at least $9.99!

Having recently returned to UK I think it's MUCH cheaper here. In Oz for a family of 5 my weekly shop was approx $200 a week and that cost excluded alcohol. i spend about £90 a week in UK and that includes alcohol.

Weren't bananas over $20.00 a kilo after the qld floods...that I didn't understand, can't they grow them elsewhere in Oz?

They grow them down to northern NSW. Nothing short of profiteering by the supermarkets, coupled with a jingoistic protectionist policy by govt for the Aussie battler banana growers. Don't bother mentioning it on the open forum, Skani has an answer to everything.

If the peppers were only $6.99 here in Perth I would buy them! Ours are at least $9.99!

No way,,,,,I thought $6.99 was criminal, thats really shocking.They cant justify that.

The price of toiletries and cleaning stuff is crazy as well,my pantry has never looked so bare, I just buy the bare essentilas. I hate going to the supermarket now.

Weren't bananas over $20.00 a kilo after the qld floods...that I didn't understand, can't they grow them elsewhere in Oz?

Not sure if its true or not, but I had heard the bananas they were selling at that price were all old stock, as well.So as usual the supermarkets were just cashing in, on the floods.

They do it everytime, too wet, too dry, any excuse to put the prices up obsenely.

Tomatoes are something like $12.99 a kilo at the moment, you would think they would be in abundance?

They grow them down to northern NSW. Nothing short of profiteering by the supermarkets, coupled with a jingoistic protectionist policy by govt for the Aussie battler banana growers. Don't bother mentioning it on the open forum, Skani has an answer to everything.

Doesant she just:)

I think she lives in a different Tasmanaia than me, with some of the "its all wonderful" rubbish she spills about this place.

In fact Is there another Australia? because the one she talks about , I would like to know where it is ?

It sounds just perfect.Maybe thats where I was supposed to land, and they took me to the wrong place.

Doesant she just:)

I think she lives in a different Tasmanaia than me, with some of the "its all wonderful" rubbish she spills about this place.

In fact Is there another Australia? because the one she talks about , I would like to know where it is ?

It sounds just perfect.Maybe thats where I was supposed to land, and they took me to the wrong place.

most peculiar person, she is, won't hear a single bad thing about Aus.

I know, theres a few, but I think shes the worst.

But she gets so nasty, when she cant win her argument as well.

Some of the things that she posts are bordering on the ridiculas and so untrue.

She went through that 'Brainwashing Machine",dident she:)

No way,,,,,I thought $6.99 was criminal, thats really shocking.They cant justify that.

The price of toiletries and cleaning stuff is crazy as well,my pantry has never looked so bare, I just buy the bare essentilas. I hate going to the supermarket now.

I remember doing our first food shop upon returning to Australia in a Coles in Footscray (Melbourne) and just wanted to cry!. We'd been in the UK for four months, so that meant four months of Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose (my personal favourite!) and now I was back in the 1970's - dingy, shabby looking stores with tired looking fruit and veg and ultra limited product ranges. Seriously, instead of sweets at the tills, they should have had pick'n'mix anti-depressants to help people get over the experience!.

Aussie supermarket shopping, makes ASDA look like Harrods! :cry:

That can't be healthy can it, adopting the bunker position in the face of any criticism just because it's your adopted country?. I love the UK, usually in spite of itself, and because we're a bit crap at a lot of stuff and we know it. But surely it's healthy to acknowledge what a place either doesn't have or what it doesn't do well?. It's hard to take seriously anyone who is so blind to the faults of either country and gets so defensive at the slightest criticism. It just comes across as small, petty and peevish and undermines any sensibly balanced posts they make.

It is unhealthy to be so defensive of the slightest critisim of a country.We all know the UK has problems, and I think most of us, would be the first to admit, there are problems.But to be so blinded by somewhere and defend it to the hilt,with mostly ludicrous statements, is not normal behaviour.Im sure if that was analysed,by a proffessional, that would be found to be far from normal behaviour.

I love the UK, I dident realise just how much,until I left .We certainly had a far better life there,regardless of the problems the UK may have.But I would never deny those problems and be blind to them.

I am so proud to be British,and I dont mind who I tell that here, when they slag off the UK.

Archived