Hockayak

Hi all,

Im just messaging to all to say that my wife and I made it to Tasmania, Australia a week ago. We came on a young person's Working Holiday Visa (WHV), so not as lengthy or as stringent as most of the other visas, but still, we're here.

Its been a pretty easy process for us, except that one little hitch put down on my wife's visa. She's a teacher and she mentioned she might work with kindergarten kids. As a result she was ordered to go to the nearest VETTED doctors, for a private chest xray - to test for TB (which we are all vaccinated against at school anyway). There aren't many Oz approved doctors in the UK and the nearest to us in Durham, was in Manchester! It was a good 5 hour round trip, and more costly than we would have liked!

But we have since found out, that if you 'forget to mention' the working with young kids thing on the visa form, then if you do need to work with young kids then you can have the xray done basically anywhere when you arrive.

The other thing we noted, basically that on the WHV you can only be employed by a single employer for 6 months at a time then you have to move on to another palce of work, but it appears that some employers can refer you on to another place of work (sometimes its literally the same job but paid from a different 'employer'). There is a stipulation that you can extend a WHV employment period with prior consent from the visa agency but when we enquired it was only available for a month or two at best, so dont be expecting to just blag it an work a year somewhere as they will say no and you may well be busted.

Finally, from previous experience and our recent arrival, Tasmania is an amazing place with landscapes like few other places in Australia. We are in Montrose, nr Hobart (Tasmania) and from there, everything seems pretty close. We used the buses for a whole week being out and about, to beaches, tourist destinations, car yards and supermarkets and bottle shops. A 'day rover' for $5 or 3.20 pounds will take you pretty much anywhere in Hobart for ans many jouneys as you need. They are on-time and pretty reliable.

Anyway, I will keep you updated as to how we get on here in Hobart.

(If anyone wants to meet up some place in Hobart for a beer then let us know, in need of some British mates)

P.s. Thanks to all people here on Poms In Oz for all of the advice given, i've not posted much, but read an awful lot over the past year!

Thankyou for that. It's nice to know that our ramblings on here might actually be of use to a few people.:biggrin:

I think the buses here are better than many people would have you think - especially around the rush hours and on the main routes in and out of the city, they are pretty frequent and reliable. I suspect that the main reason so many people knock the buses is because most people drive absolutely everywhere and haven't a clue what the service is like.

Having said that, one of the first things I did was buy an enormous red Ford Falcon Wagon, with plenty of room to stretch out and snooze in the back. Well, I wanted to live in a more Australian way, in London I had a Ford Ka!

Hi there!

We are at the other end of the age scale, but moved to Tassie about one month ago to retire. However, OH is an artist and already he has a few works on the go. Today, finally our stuff arrives from the UK. My OH is so excited (his golf clubs) and he is pacing around the lounge room like a caged animal, waiting for the truck! :rolleyes:.

We still drink beer tho!

Aly

Hey welcome to Tassie I'm based in Sandy bay, moved over here on my own in August, up for a pint at some point (and welcome to the only place in Australia you can go for a pint).... If you need any help shoot us a PM and I'll see what I can do....

They sell pints in Melbourne, had one myself on the weekend.