Gutted- over before it's began?

jaxcooper

Well instead of just going for it I decided to run our case by a migration agent who is apparantly an expert in dealing with the ACS. Hubby has been working in IT for around 20 years but no up to date qualification so we knew it wouldnt be straightforward. We received an email this morning " I regret to inform you you do not seemnto be eligible for a skilled visa as you wont be able to get sufficient points even in the best scenario. If you wish to find out why you may not be eligiblae I am happy to facilitate a skype or ohone consultation for a nominal fee of $100"

Whenever we run our details through a points checker it comes up with 60-65 points so this is a real blow.

Hubby is 43 this year, 1 more year and we lose all the points for age. Gutted and don't know what to do :frown:

It may not be the end of the road if hubby is eligible for sponsership,, if your set on moving here it may be worth looking in to. Also bear in mind a few members get a couple of agent opinions, just incase somethings been misunderstood..

Hope you can sort something, lots of luck

Cal x

sponsorship may be an option, Oracle are recruiting: - developers. They sponsored a friend of mine. to work in Canberra. Might be worth clarifying your OH's exact job function in case another PIO member can give more job specific advice.

Post your points breakdown up and we can take a look.

Ok here goes:

Age ............15 points

English .......20 ( I am confident he will score highly- he's a smart cookie with excellent language skills)

Skilled employment outside Australia ....15

Qualifications ( we estimated this based on a positive outcome from the RPL) 10

Now as we weren't sure about the qualifications bit we factored in 10 points if neccesary for a 489 sponsored visa.

I'll be damned if I am going to give up. There will be a way, just got to find it!

Hi Jaxcooper -

I agree with the others here - do not give up! I'd be happy to do a phone or Skype consultation with you at no charge, and I'll do my best to find a way for you to get here. Skilled is only 1 possibility of many options.

As far as an agent who tells you that you don't meet application criteria, but then wants to charge you to tell you what that criteria is that you don't meet, personally I find that objectionable (and that's a nice word for it). It's hard enough for us as agents to deal with constantly changing legislation, regulations and policy, and add to that inconsistent processing, etc, without things like that making us all look bad.

Best,

Mark Northam

I agree with the others, it's best to get a number of opinions. I have just sent you the details of the agents i am using.

I was also told i couldn't raise the points at first.

I doubly agree with Mark as well, to be told no and then to be offered the chance to be told why the answer is no and also pay $100 for it stinks!!

Well instead of just going for it I decided to run our case by a migration agent who is apparantly an expert in dealing with the ACS. Hubby has been working in IT for around 20 years but no up to date qualification so we knew it wouldnt be straightforward. We received an email this morning " I regret to inform you you do not seemnto be eligible for a skilled visa as you wont be able to get sufficient points even in the best scenario. If you wish to find out why you may not be eligiblae I am happy to facilitate a skype or ohone consultation for a nominal fee of $100"

Whenever we run our details through a points checker it comes up with 60-65 points so this is a real blow.

Hubby is 43 this year, 1 more year and we lose all the points for age. Gutted and don't know what to do :frown:

I worked with Peter Chiam from ptlabs consulting for my positive ACS skills assessment.

I agree....DO NOT GIVE UP!!

I'm 44 and have been fortunate to find a sponsor and a migration agent who seems to be on the ball.

I have second thoughts and moments of despair but I just keep ploughing through the paperwork and keeping my fingers crossed.

Chin up; there's plenty of different visa options :)

Ok here goes:

English .......20 ( I am confident he will score highly- he's a smart cookie with excellent language skills)

Now as we weren't sure about the qualifications bit we factored in 10 points if neccesary for a 489 sponsored visa.

I'll be damned if I am going to give up. There will be a way, just got to find it!

OK, so I don't know much about the RPL / qualifications thing, but even if that does not work out, you are correct there is the 489 sponsorship. Or do you qualify for any partner points? Then you could do that with 190 sponsorship.

It seems to me that you might have an uphill struggle, but certainly all is not lost yet.

OK, so I don't know much about the RPL / qualifications thing, but even if that does not work out, you are correct there is the 489 sponsorship. Or do you qualify for any partner points? Then you could do that with 190 sponsorship.

It seems to me that you might have an uphill struggle, but certainly all is not lost yet.

I am on the CSOL so can't claim for partner points as you have to be on the same list. It may be worth looking at though if he thinks he could pass under systems admin - thanks Rupert

Ok here goes:

From what you have posted, you have (or will have) enough points, possibly more than enough.

If you have a qualifying skilled occupation, get your ACS assessment up before you die of old age.

he's a smart cookie with excellent language skills

More or less irrelevant - IELTS tests your examination technique and your bank balance.

All the best

Speaking to another agent may well help. Stephen Dickson helped us through the process and I had my 176 within 4 months. I had to take the RPL route and attained extra points for my IELTS score. One of Stephens areas of expertise is IT, he even worked in IT in the UK. You'll find him on the Migration Outcomes Australia website. Good luck (with the process not with Stephen, he know's what he's doing).

Cheers

Lee

Archived