Has anyone ever moved back to the UK and thought it was a bad move for their kids?

ginger

With all (undue) respect, PB: living with kids is a completely different planet to living as an adult single or couple. Life becomes infinitely more complex. Until you have kids :shocked:...you'll never know.
yep keeping the kids inside out of the dangerous heat and sun must be a big problem, at least in the winter here you can just put a coat on.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What will the times be in 6 months?

It won't be as dark in midwinter here as it will be in Stratford.

And it certainly won't be as dark in Perth - where Perthbum claims to have lived - in midwinter as it is in midwinter Stratford.

Oh for heaven's sake can't we just address an op's question without getting into petty, childish bickering on every thread?! It's really dull for the rest of us.

Ginger, we brought our children back when they were 9,7 and 5 almost ten years ago. I really felt we were doing them a disservice, that their lives would be so much better in Australia and, perhaps at that stage I was right. However, they settled really well (took me ages!)and have had a fantastic childhood here. They've all done Brownies, cubs, scouts, drama,horse riding, swimming, judo which are (apart from riding) very affordable. We paid £15 a term for Brownies, £40 for drama as it was subsidised by the council, £40 for swimming. The younger two still do judo which is taught by ex commonwealth games competitors and costs £3 a session and they often stay for an extra session at no extra cost. The uniform thing was given to them!

They have all done lots of exchange trips to Germany, Poland, Romania and trips to France I've lost count of! Again all quite inexpensive (£150 - £300) for exchanges. We had another year in Aus in 2009 where our eldest did an exchange to Germany. She had a great time but it cost almost $3k! Similarly, her bronze D of E award cost around $1k with the practise and actual expeditions. Our middle one did it in the UK for a total of £25 to cover the cost of transport! And she had better weather on both expeditions!

It's difficult to know whether or not you'd regret returning to the UK. Some do, others don't look back. I really, really did struggle because I felt I was letting my children down, and could easily have gone back for the first couple of years, but my girls have thrived here and the older two really didn't enjoy the year back there (that was due to the school they were at though and the older two are both considering the option of uni in Australia). Our youngest will probably go back at some point as I think her interests are better served there.

It's impossible to see what will happen in the future, but I think children are happiest where their parents are happy, so I'd try to make a decision based on that. Your kids can have a fabulous childhood in either country.

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has gone back 'home' and regretted it, not for themselves but for their kids?

We live on the goldcoast and life here is great but we just can't envisage a future due to cost of living. If I am to stay here forever I want to buy a home and build for the future. I left the UK for financial reasons I thought an 80k a year salary was too hard to turn down only to find out it's so expensive here 80k doesn't go that far with a family of five.

My dilemma is we all love it here, we feel the kids are having a great time and if we go back it will be the same old same old. Asda on wet weekends instead of the beach or wet n wild.........

I am not concerned about the kids future as schooling back home is better it's more the fun side of things in life.

ginger

kids have thrived since being back (well more so my eldest, youngest was only a baby) been back 18mths. Depends on soooo much, isnt unfortu ately a black & white decision. If your kids are happy & you are, why move? If you know things are getting expensive, try & find ways around that. Thats the great think about emigrating you find you become incredibly resourceful.

We returned to the Uk because we werent happy & wanted to change that & for our kids being back we have realised how much the UK does have to offer, is down to the parents & we are very much outdoors types & lurve the countryside etc... plus been away 10 yrs & seen most of Oz, had a fab time but wanted a fresh challenge! Not sure if the odds are stacked against you if you move because you think you should rather than because you are unhappy. Very much increases your likelyhood of being a ping pong, I think!

Do some research as if you were going to go back & compare to what you have now. Definately returning to the Uk shouldn't be done on a whim, same as emmigrating to Oz. good luck:)

Hi all,

just wondering if anyone has gone back 'home' and regretted it, not for themselves but for their kids?

We live on the goldcoast and life here is great but we just can't envisage a future due to cost of living. If I am to stay here forever I want to buy a home and build for the future. I left the UK for financial reasons I thought an 80k a year salary was too hard to turn down only to find out it's so expensive here 80k doesn't go that far with a family of five.

My dilemma is we all love it here, we feel the kids are having a great time and if we go back it will be the same old same old. Asda on wet weekends instead of the beach or wet n wild.........

I am not concerned about the kids future as schooling back home is better it's more the fun side of things in life.

ginger

You have hit the nail on the head Ginger .......for me personally , if someone took my children out of the equation , i could honestly settle for not revisiting Australia again .

My girls are my concern .....they are both in their teens, but i feel there is nothing for them here in the U.K OR THE U.S ....or most other places long term .......its my only worry .

The only advantage is they have grown up with their grandparents .....we( wife and i ) are comfortable financially here in the U.K, weve done well .......but their future is my main concern .

Is it any different over there ......with the cost of living .....and now this bloody extreme weather ?

Hey thanks for some of your stories.

Just want to clarify I came here as I got a great oppurtunity and didn't want to live in regret. I love it here as doi my kids....the wife would go home tomorrow as she is a missing family. For me I am glad we tried this move. Aus is expensive but seems to be fairly comparative with wages my biggest hurdle is the fact I want to be able to go home to see family which is costly.

When I say my kids have a great time here, we live on a gated complex so they are free to play out on their bikes, we have a pool which they use most of the summer months again that is great. Back home I wouldn't let them play out as we lived to near a major road and we found our weekends revolved around visiting parents etc...

We did take the kids to the park as often as possible but living in Hull was not exactly great.

All being well I will get a payrise as I have been working for my boss near on 2 years without one, I can get my residency and hopefully build a great life here it's just hard to see the future.

Peoples stories about moving back and the kids being fine is great, that's what I wanted to read about. My family unit is important and so is their happiness and right now this feels like the place to be for them.

The weather can get ontop of you but so did the weather in the UK. I guess nowhere is perfect.

ginger

No it doesn't, do your research..the UK will slip into a more Mediterranean climate with global warming.Climate may turn UK Mediterranean

Fields of sunflowers could replace the traditional English landscape

Huge swathes of England could take on a Mediterranean look within 50 years as native woodlands are threatened by warmer, drier summers, say scientists.

Olive groves, vines and sunflower fields could become hallmarks of the landscape in South-East England as global warming changes conditions.

Experts also say the English country garden is unlikely to survive in the South East in its present form.

Rolling lawns and herbaceous borders may be ousted by palms and eucalyptus.

By 2050 summer temperatures in the South-East of England are expected to be 1.5 to 3C warmer than they are now.

Send us your comments

This could rise to 6C by 2080 if current global warming trends continue. Meanwhile rainfall will be cut by a third.

Don't hold your breath PB.

Archived