Moving in Feb and starting to panic

Leah31

I've not been on this forum for ages and thought it was time for a wee update.......We secured our PR visa in April and need to validate it by the 26th April 2013....We sold our flat and moved into rented accommodation in November....Flights were booked for 08/01/13 and I was due to finish my work tomorrow :smile:

Well.....things have now been slightly delayed due to panic :twitcy:I am an Occupational Therapist and was advised to apply for my registration towards the end of the year as it would take roughly 4-6 weeks.....I started my application in October and quickly realised it was going to be a nightmare.... after a couple of weeks I managed to organise everything and sent it at the end of October...At this point I thought that was plenty of time as we still had around 10weeks. I received an email on the 22/11/12 stating they had received my application....I have heard nothing else :no:

Flights have now been rescheduled for 28/02/13 and we land on 02/03/13....I feel relieved but time is ticking by and I still don't have my registration.....I've been looking at jobs but a lot of them say you can only apply if you are registered with AHPRA and I was recently told I won't get my limited registration until I get a job offer........... I now have an agent looking at jobs for me and hope to be a bit more organised before we leave......

We are flying with Singapore airlines from Glasgow - Brisbane and plan to book temp accommodation for 1 month.....not sure where we'll settle.....have a few ideas but really depends on work.....thinking about staying at the Brisbane holiday village for the first month as it's quite central and will give us some time to look around for rentals.....ideally we would like to live closer to the sunshine coast.......

Feeling a bit worried about the possibility of moving without a job/registration, especially when we have a wee boy (Declan is 6)....Husband works as a construction labourer.......we have been saving for a bit but we're also aware its more expensive, the exchange rate is poor and ideally we would like to have this money as a safety net....

In an ideal world my registration will come through, I will secure a job and I can then start to narrow down suburbs and look at schools for Declan......

WOULD YOU GO IF YOU WERE IN OUR SHOES??????

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Leah, Robert and Declan........

Hi dont panic!!!

We moved out here 2 months ago with no jobs and limited savings. We are now both working and have settled in a lovely apartment in the city. We're not in your line of work but it will all sort it self out. Just get organised with the paperwork and get things booked for the initial month.

Good luck - I hope it works out for you guys

You have moved your travel dares and you are doing the best you can. It sounds like you have got it all worked out. And you are being proactive. I fly out in two but weeks.OH has only just sent emails out for jobs and our landing in Melbourne accomadation is not formally agreed -waiting to hear. You have it much more organised. And I'm still going.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

You have moved your travel dares and you are doing the best you can. It sounds like you have got it all worked out. And you are being proactive. I fly out in two but weeks.OH has only just sent emails out for jobs and our landing in Melbourne accomadation is not formally agreed -waiting to hear. You have it much more organised. And I'm still going.

Good luck and keep us all posted.

Thanks for your reply.....makes us feel a bit better.....hopefully it all falls in to place for us..good luck and hope you have a great time and it all works out for you too.

Thanks and keep us posted,

Leah

Hi Leah,

We are also flying to Brisbane on 28th feb flying with Singapore Airlines, we might be on the same flight. We have 2 boys aged 2 and nearly 4. I can't believe how quickly time is flying by at the moment. We got our pr visa in September and have decided to go as soon as we can. We are renting our house out as the housing market is so bad at the moment and have the shippers coming in on 15 jan so our furniture gets a head start. We will be moving in with family until we fly. My husband is panicking about work to. He is in IT but has done so much research about getting a job and that is is pretty pointless to apply while still in the UK so he will be taking a huge leap of faith but that's part of the journey I guess. We were also planning on staying at the Brisbane holiday village for a month when we arrived, it looks really nice and I have heard some good reviews about it. We have been lucky and my life long friend who lives on the north of the Gold Coast (Ormeau) has told us we are staying with her and her family. We can't wait.

Anyway, I hope your registration comes through soon, enjoy your last few weeks in the UK and Happy Christmas.

sandy

Guest Will Low

Yes, I would go, if its meant to be then your be fine. Don't panic. There is work over there,the holiday village is expensive but so is everything else over there,once you are settled and found a home it will all be worth it. Don't let this fantastic new chance of life go. Good luck .

Most of us that apply for the skilled migrant visa have to take the plunge without having jobs to go to. So the answer to yur question would you do it is yes ... and many people on PIO will have done exactly that.

I do know that it is important for most new migrants to find work asap, but hopefully you can try to enjoy this short time off as well. And another tip is to not stress about spending money, you *will* spend money, it will go down quickly at the moment, there is no point stressing about something you cannot change, try to look upon it as an investment in your new life.

Good luck.

We're also flying in 28th and have booked Brisbane Holiday Village. We have 3 kids age 8, 6 & 2 and we don't have work sorted yet. Our view is that this is a chance in a lifetime for us and we would rather kick ourselves for giving it a shot than to kick ourselves for not going for it.

not sure if that helps but good luck with decision!

Hi Leah,

I am also an OT, I have not yet submitted papers to AHPRA so better get onto it.

Where did you send your papers?

Ring the office and hassle them. Its worth getting up early to do this!

Could you work as a disability support worker in the meantime?

http://www.gumtree.com.au

Also there are case manager roles which do not specify 'OT' within the job description.

You may still need police checks.

This might mean being near city and public transport so you can access clients / a place of employment unless you have access to a car straight away.

It depends on your area of speciality as to where you apply / find work in Brisbane.

Sort the job before you obtain accommodation as you don't want to end up with a long commute.

Maybe delay booking Brisbane accommodation until closer to your flight date.

If AHPRA has not come through in February why not book somewhere short term closer to the coast so you can enjoy beach time before your AHPRA reg comes through as you may not have the same chance till much later (accruing holidays).

Have a look on gumtree.com.au closer to the time for short term accommodation.

Regards and good luck, I am sure it will all work out.

Tuosist

Guest littlesarah

I'm not an OT, but pretty much every year our new grads have to hassle AHPRA; so I'd say don't be afraid to call them and ask for progress updates. I would be really explicit about the fact that you need registration in order to start work (make like you have a job to go to), you know they're busy, but you just really, really need to sort registration in order to take up a post and provide for your family as well as be there for the patients who need your skills and experience. Be polite of course, but also persistent and explicit about how you have allowed lots of time for your application to be processed, and have had to change flights because your rego still isn't sorted.

I know our grads quite often have to push hard because they've employers waiting and need to go earn some $$s and start paying off HECS!

I'd keep pushing AHPRA before you go cancelling your plans, it may be tight, but there's still time. If you've a recruitment agency involved, they'll be able to line up whatever work is available.

Good luck with it all.

Hi Tuosist,

Thanks for your reply. I sent my application to Queensland as that's where I hope to work. I have since been told that you can submit you application to any state. The Adelaide office seems to process applications quickly. I think Queensland take the longest.

I submitted an online enquiry re: status of my application. Hopefully I will hear back from them after the holiday period. If not I'll phone them. I'm not so fussed about going with a job as we are planning to have the first month off but I would like to know I've sorted my registration and I can apply for jobs.

We've not booked the holiday village yet and plan to wait until nearer the time and sort a short-term rental. Hope you get you registration sorted soon.

Leah

Thanks for all your positive posts. I’m sure it will work out fine as it's taken long enough to plan. Starting to feel excited as it will be here before we know it. Good luck to everyone else making the move in 2013 and hope everyone has a great New Year :biggrin:

Leah, Rab and Declan

Archived