just moved to brisbane. our story

gordonsmith

hi everyone.. return is not working on this computer so I apologise for the one big paragraph. we set off from Glasgow via Dubai to Brisbane on the 21st of November, and arrived here on the 23rd.we had booked the Tribeca apartments for 8 days to allow us to get set up but we needed to extend that by an extra 5 days, I would strongly recommend the Tribeca apartments for people doing the same as us as they were clean, had good air con, a good pool and even better hot tub, gym and sauna. the guy who worked the front desk (eric) was fantastic, he gave us advice from everything from car hire to where to get the best deals on furniture. (to be honest he probably saved us more than what our stay in the Tribeca was). we had picked a suburb prior to leaving the uk and we chose The Gap because it looked like a small community/ suburb which was what we were used to back home. we used hardcourts estate agents(big company with lots of very specific small offices) who have been very good and got us a good property that we are delighted with. furniture wise we used super amart, cheap stuff that looks good and fitted with what we wanted, albit they do some very good stuff as well. general household stuff we used Kmart. I would also strongly advise budgeting for an air con unit for the house, we got a portable for $500which is a bit noisy but after 20mins the rooms cold enough to switch it off and get to sleep on those roasters of nights. there plenty of good places to eat, no brewers fair rubbish over here. we like the coffee club for quick lunches and really almost any restaurant serves quality food and of course the steaks / burgers are awesome. if you do chose to go to the Tribeca apartments there's a small pizza place across the road next to the alliance pub. try it, fan tas tic. car prices are bonkers. a 12 year old holden (vauxhal) was the same price as a brand new proton but because its not Australian made no one buys them. if you have children the south bank is an Absolut must, take your swimming gear and lots of sun cram and water, its free and there's changing and showers provided. been here 2 weeks, love it, very patriotic country and reminds me of the USA at times but its still wonderful. gordon

Guest BoardBabe

Hi Gordon

We are relocating from Glasgow to Brisbane in Feb.

Just wondered which shipping firm you used and if you can recommend them?

Thanks

Sarah

hi boardbabe. we didn't use one, we found they were far to expensive and that the overall cost was more than what our stuff was worth. plus we have heard about added expense on this side from minor things like leaves in the crates that need to be incinerated at a cost of 100s of dollars. there are plenty of affordable shops here to pick stuff. tvs and things that are made in china and japan are much cheaper here. feel free to pm me for any advice. but one thing I will say is once you have your visa apply for your tax number on the Australian government web page gordon

Hi Gordon

We are relocating from Glasgow to Brisbane in Feb.

Just wondered which shipping firm you used and if you can recommend them?

Thanks

Sarah

Hi Sarah, we are in Newmarket which is fairly near to Gordon, we used Kilmarnock Removals (who were recommended to us by Paisleylass) and they were fantastic, neither of us had any problems and would definitely recommend. I had a couple of quotes and Kilmarnock Removals were by far the nicest to deal with, gave me tips like keep kids toys in their boxes,keep your bedding in underbed storage boxes etc. as it takes up same amount of space - other company weren't interested in anything but money. I would have put our bedding and toys in their boxes and had to buy more storage boxes, it's little things like that which make a bit of a difference. Plus I like to support family run, local businesses.

Guest BoardBabe

Hiya

Thanks everyone for the advice. I need to get at least 3 quotes for removals as employer is paying, so will include Kilmarnock Removals. I'm not sure if we have to go with the cheapest.....

Gordon, I know what you mean about the cost of removals not being worth it. If we were paying ourselves we would only take bare essentials, although we're renting out our flat here in Glasgow so leaving most furniture.

I'll check out the tax number thing.

Is it fairly easy to get a rental property? I've a friend who lives in Sidney and she said it's very competitive there and in short supply. We plan to live around Toowong/Bardon area. Would love to live further out but husband wants to be cycling distance of UQ (or so he says!).

Sarah

Is it fairly easy to get a rental property? I've a friend who lives in Sidney and she said it's very competitive there and in short supply. We plan to live around Toowong/Bardon area. Would love to live further out but husband wants to be cycling distance of UQ (or so he says!).

Sarah

Hi Sarah, If you don't mind me asking, why?

Hi Gorden. Could you tell me a bit more about the Gap. My husband leaves for Brisbane in early Feb we ( me and our 3 and 6 year old) will come over as soon as house has been sold. We have looked at the The Gap on Internet and done some research but would really like some thoughts from someone who is living there. Any insider knowledge about the area would be great.

Hi Gorden. Could you tell me a bit more about the Gap. My husband leaves for Brisbane in early Feb we ( me and our 3 and 6 year old) will come over as soon as house has been sold. We have looked at the The Gap on Internet and done some research but would really like some thoughts from someone who is living there. Any insider knowledge about the area would be great.

hi kelsb. we have only lived in the gap for 1 week now but it has been fantastic so far. the people are friendly, the state schools are amongst the best in queensland not just Brisbane, it is clean, lots of play parks. we commuted from the gap to the south bank in rush hour in less than 20 mins (which is beside the CBD) the roads here are good and bad by this mean the roads tend to be well-maintained but the driving styles are some what erratic and you will tend to see lots of 4X4s as they arebigger and safer. the gap is very close to the bush but I have not seen anything bigger than a garden spider. no snakes, red backs or huntsmen. my neighbour has been here for several years and cycles in the bush a lot and he hasn't seen any snakes or red backs, he has seen one huntsman which was running away from him. more people die from jelly fish stings than snake or spider bites tho a cautious attitude to them is healthy in my opinion

Hi Fish.01

I was brought up in the country and would love to live somewhere with loads of space!

Bardon is lovely backing on to Mt Coot-tha and has a very peaceful, green feel for somewhere only 6km from the CBD. One of Brisbane's best suburbs. If you want bigger plots of land though you could try Brookfield...drive up Brookfield Rd. It might still be close enough to cycle to UQ (around 10km).

See here: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=brookfield&hl=en&ll=-27.493235,152.912307&spn=0.018844,0.041778&hq=brookfield&hnear=Brisbane+Queensland&t=h&fll=-27.501268,152.926576&fspn=0.018843,0.041778&z=16&layer=c&cbll=-27.493258,152.912422&panoid=-2kTHLWYjay8pjKIK8f0wQ&cbp=12,267.52,,0,6.8

Bardon is lovely backing on to Mt Coot-tha and has a very peaceful, green feel for somewhere only 6km from the CBD. One of Brisbane's best suburbs. If you want bigger plots of land though you could try Brookfield...drive up Brookfield Rd. It might still be close enough to cycle to UQ (around 10km).

See here: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?q=brookfield&hl=en&ll=-27.493235,152.912307&spn=0.018844,0.041778&hq=brookfield&hnear=Brisbane+Queensland&t=h&fll=-27.501268,152.926576&fspn=0.018843,0.041778&z=16&layer=c&cbll=-27.493258,152.912422&panoid=-2kTHLWYjay8pjKIK8f0wQ&cbp=12,267.52,,0,6.8

I live in Kenmore Hills area, right next door to Brookfield and work at UQ, it is certainly more than 10 k.... depends what sort of cyclist he is, how serious,there are some very busy roads to negotiate before any of the cycle ways can be reached.

But, if you want green you'll be able to find it in this area. We have nothing but trees and grass as a view from the back of our house.

It takes us, in good flowing traffic, about 20 min to drive to UQ, so maybe double that for a decent cyclist.

I live in Kenmore Hills area, right next door to Brookfield and work at UQ, it is certainly more than 10 k.... depends what sort of cyclist he is, how serious,there are some very busy roads to negotiate before any of the cycle ways can be reached.

But, if you want green you'll be able to find it in this area. We have nothing but trees and grass as a view from the back of our house.

It takes us, in good flowing traffic, about 20 min to drive to UQ, so maybe double that for a decent cyclist.

Good to hear it's doable. The approx 10km was from where it starts getting countryish past Kenmore Hills but yes it really would depend how far along Brookfield road you went I guess. I did it from here as it looked like it changed to country around here?

From about here: http://maps.google.com.au/maps?saddr=150+Brookfield+Rd&daddr=-27.4966209,152.9820402+to:The+University+of+Queensland,+Chancellors+Place,+St+Lucia,+Queensland&hl=en&ll=-27.501877,152.952132&spn=0.037685,0.083556&sll=-27.500925,152.975221&sspn=0.037685,0.083556&geocode=FQZeXP4dToYdCSljQDNMjlGRazHAdBnNWqMCEw%3BFVRvXP4dGFIeCSk1ALO391CRazFgbTHMWqMCEw%3BFYJqXP4dJsweCSHp7hA3bZTpmilJfOtBglCRazHp7hA3bZTpmg&t=h&mra=dpe&mrsp=1&sz=15&via=1&z=15

Guest BoardBabe

I guess we'll need to wait until we get there to see what these places are like and what the commute is like. It's so hard to tell by looking at google maps and it's so different to where we currently live.

I've heard that the suburbs around UQ are all nice. Have to say though I've looked at rental property on the internet and a lot of it looks pretty dire and expensive :-(

I guess we'll need to wait until we get there to see what these places are like and what the commute is like. It's so hard to tell by looking at google maps and it's so different to where we currently live.

I've heard that the suburbs around UQ are all nice. Have to say though I've looked at rental property on the internet and a lot of it looks pretty dire and expensive :-(

Yeah, a lot of the rental stock can be fairly poor unless you move significantly up from entry pricing...I assume they have a lot of student accomm around there.

I don't live in the Gap, but have friends that live there. It is a beautiful area, close to Brisbane State Forest Park. The schools are supposed to be excellent. The biggest niggle there I would think would be commuting to the City if you have to - Don't think that the bus links are brilliant, and you'd be sitting in heavy traffic driving

I don't live in the Gap, but have friends that live there. It is a beautiful area, close to Brisbane State Forest Park. The schools are supposed to be excellent. The biggest niggle there I would think would be commuting to the City if you have to - Don't think that the bus links are brilliant, and you'd be sitting in heavy traffic driving

I don't think the buses are too bad compared to a lot of Brisbane. For example, from the journey planner getting a 385 Monday morning at 7:49am at The Gap Village drops you at King George Square 25 mins later. This bus travels through Bardon and Latrobe Tce which I have found great for traffic in peak hour compared to most roads.

I used to live in the gap and the buses did my head in. There are express buses which should be quicker but they were regularly late or just didn't show up. This was commuting into the city at peak hour, it might be better either side of that. Other than that it seems to be a good area. Nice community feel and a great butcher at the gap shops.

For commuting, the trains are good, or buses that make use of one of the busways in the city (ie don't get too embroiled with other traffic). I'd pick a location bearing that in mind

I used to live in the gap and the buses did my head in. There are express buses which should be quicker but they were regularly late or just didn't show up. This was commuting into the city at peak hour, it might be better either side of that. Other than that it seems to be a good area. Nice community feel and a great butcher at the gap shops.

For commuting, the trains are good, or buses that make use of one of the busways in the city (ie don't get too embroiled with other traffic). I'd pick a location bearing that in mind

Yeah agree, grade separated is better though saying that I used to live on a bus route that went down the busway and encountered the same thing. Late or just didn't appear and always crowded. We live closer in from The Gap at Ashgrove and the buses that come from The Gap and St Johns Wood seem very regular (my wife never checks a timetable) and not overcrowded but they do diverge down The Gap end so I guess where you live at The Gap could affect things as well as it's a huge suburb and you may only get the benefit of 1 route number rather than the multiple routes that pass us at Ashgrove.

Translink are having their first big bus review in many years at the moment and some changes are planned to The Gap routes so hopefully reliability/frequency will be improved.

Yes where you are is important. I used to drive to a stop where they all stopped. Still had those issues though as I needed a particular express bus which essentially halved my commute time.

Ashgrove is a lovely spot. A nice mix between the space of suburbia but having local services within walking distance.

Archived