Australian Dog Food

MnEmCathcart

Hi there,

Looking at types of dog food available in Oz, as obviously won't be able to send any with my dog. Any ideas what kind of food they use in the quarantine kennels and which are they common brands of dog food available in Oz.

Finlay currently eats James Wellbeloved lamb and rice which is hypoallergenic and is a large breed food (Labrador). Is there anything similar over there? I prefer feeding dry food and wondered if it's possible to get some of the food used in Oz over here before we travel to make sure he doesn't get an upset tummy in quarantine from the change.

Thanks so much!

Emma

Our admin, Moving 2 Melbourne will be able to give you the names of the decent stuff on a par with JW. I can't recall the name of the feeds off the top of my head. Hopefully she'll see this when she wakes.

Also have a look back using the search function as its been discussed a fair few times in the Pets section.

Thanks for that, apologies for the double post, I'll have a better look for them

Emma

No worries about posting and asking. Just you may be able to find the answer somewhere in the meantime before M2M wakes (or someone else comes along). I know a few times she has posted about the foods she rates etc and what to look for.

Our dogs were fed on Advance in Sydney quarantine and seemed fine on it. I think if you want them to have something different it's ok to order it in Aus online and have it delivered to the quarantine station. I've been buying food from Petbarn here in NSW - it's similar to Pets at Home in UK.

Guest jeffner1974
Hi there,

Looking at types of dog food available in Oz, as obviously won't be able to send any with my dog. Any ideas what kind of food they use in the quarantine kennels and which are they common brands of dog food available in Oz.

Finlay currently eats James Wellbeloved lamb and rice which is hypoallergenic and is a large breed food (Labrador). Is there anything similar over there? I prefer feeding dry food and wondered if it's possible to get some of the food used in Oz over here before we travel to make sure he doesn't get an upset tummy in quarantine from the change.

Thanks so much!

Emma

H

Hi,

We brought our Black Russian Terrier over to WA in August.

In Byford he was fed advance (turkey and rice) and it was fine. He normally doesn't get anything other than his own food or it runs through him (sorry!) but he was fine on this. we used to get his food from the natural dog food co back in scotland

He had lost a bit of weight, about 2 kilos but he could have been doing with losing it so looked good when he came out of quarantine.

He is a big dog (45kg) and it turns out that the turkey and rice version of Advance isn't specifically for large dogs and we have since changed him over to Advance large now and he's doing well on it. not sure if you can get advance in the UK but you can look into it

HTH

jen x

Hi there,

Our ever-so-viscous Satch ended up eating cat food in quarantine because she was refusing to eat and they were desperate! (she's obviously smart enough to realise what gets her the most human attention!).

She pretty much eats anything that is given to her, but I can recommend both Eagle Pack and Wellness (both have good ethical ratings as well) :)

I've used 'Advance' & also 'Nutri-something' (can't remember the full name) when in Australia...

Pudding Abby & pudding Skippy will both benefit from losing a little weight....I have them on Beta Lite over here....

Skippy is a little 'allergy prone' & I have no problem with any of the brands above, but this month (I buy my kibble online) I couldn't get the Beta in the quantity I wanted (15 kilo bag) so I ordered something else of a similar price & poor little thing has been scratching constantly.....

Took her off the 'other brand' & Hey Presto - no more itchy Skippy !

Hi there,

Our ever-so-viscous Satch ended up eating cat food in quarantine because she was refusing to eat and they were desperate! (she's obviously smart enough to realise what gets her the most human attention!).

She pretty much eats anything that is given to her, but I can recommend both Eagle Pack and Wellness (both have good ethical ratings as well) :)

I can see by your avatar that "Satch" is obviously a vicious, cannot be trusted killer.....I imagine her tail would be responsible for many bruised shins :laugh:

Hi there :) We have 2 collie crosses and they're currently fed on Skinners working dog kibble (complete) which has the added benefit of being tax free here in the uk. Is working dog food tax free in Aus? We're moving to West Brisbane next month and it would be good to find out if there is any point in my looking for rural suppliers who might sell working dog food.

Also, can anyone outline the cost, conditions & process of registering our 2 hounds with the council?

Thanks in advance :)

Re registering dogs, don't know if it varies from state to state, or council to council. For my local council in NSW I looked up the process on the website and gave them a ring to clarify a couple of things, then:

Took them to the vet as soon as out of quarantine. They scanned their microchips and filled in a form to certify this. Also got a letter saying they were desexed. Easy for the boy! For our little girl he was happy to confirm based on scar and lack of development. It might be worth getting a letter from your current vet if this applies while you're still in UK.

Downloaded and filled in form from council website to register a companion animal.

Took everything to the council office. Needed to fill in another form as the microchips were from UK and not linked to any Australian database that identifed an owner!

Paid $40 per dog and got a receipt. (This is a lifetime fee. It's more for dogs who aren't desexed)

Got paper certificates in the post a couple of weeks later.

A bit convoluted but relatively painless. And the staff at the council were really helpful.

Have checked with hubby - and the other dog food we liked was Holistic Select.

BTW - I think Satch has an intolerance to something in the Wellness, it may well be fine for others! She's got an inflammation going on around her mouth atm, but Perry the wonder-vet is sorting it out for us. Fingers crossed she'll be all good within a few days :)

It's actually 'Skinners' which has produced the 'Scratchy Skippy Syndrome' ..... it doesn't appear to affect Abby.....

In desperation I've put Skippy back on supermarket stuff - 'Baker's for Small Dogs'..... & the constant scratching has stopped, more or less overnight.....

By no stretch of the imagination can she be considered 'a working dog' - even 'playing fetch' has always been beneath her......

'SCUSE ME ?

You want me to WHAT ?

Get my paws all muddy to pick up that bouncy slobbery thing - I don't THINK so !'

Abby on the other hand, would chase & fetch until she dropped with exhaustion - that never happens because my arm gives up first - even with a 'thrower' !

Maybe there's too much protein in 'Skinners' which doesn't get 'used up' by a recumbent pudding.....

I think Skinners is an ethical brand - it's just so important to match the food to the dog - apparently..... :yes:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Emma,

In Melbourne I see a big truck pull into aqis every week or so, but I imagine that its probably some safe generic pellet mix. They try and keep food bland so that the dogs stomachs don't get upset, and their stools are firm.

Personally I still cant believe that people are feeding their dogs vegetables, rice and any other carb instead of raw meat. I imagine that if you tested your lamb and rice, the lamb would not be prime bits, and it would not be a high percentage. Corporations have to make a big profit you know. But each to our own believe hey? You may be able to negotiate with aqis to feed your dog a special diet, but I am not sure how to do that, you may need to get a store to deliver it to the centre? I know that I can bring as many treats as I want to into there when I visit, but I only give them a small amount, and its only meat based. Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Emma,

In Melbourne I see a big truck pull into aqis every week or so, but I imagine that its probably some safe generic pellet mix. They try and keep food bland so that the dogs stomachs don't get upset, and their stools are firm.

Personally I still cant believe that people are feeding their dogs vegetables, rice and any other carb instead of raw meat. I imagine that if you tested your lamb and rice, the lamb would not be prime bits, and it would not be a high percentage. Corporations have to make a big profit you know. But each to our own believe hey? You may be able to negotiate with aqis to feed your dog a special diet, but I am not sure how to do that, you may need to get a store to deliver it to the centre? I know that I can bring as many treats as I want to into there when I visit, but I only give them a small amount, and its only meat based. Good luck!

They did tell me what brand they were feeding my dog, but I can't remember (nearly five years ago now). They said that they were going to try her on another brand as she wasn't eating. It was 40c!

• 2 weeks later...

There's Eukanuba (expensive, but down-rated), Royal Canins (good one though quite expensive), Advance (good choice) as most have said, Pedigree Chum (although wouldn't buy cos they put sugar and taurine in the ingredients). Advance (biscuits) seems to be the one that a lot of dogs like and average price:)

Hi there,

Thanks so much!

Emma

This link should give you an idea of some of the food available http://www.petstock.com.au/c/dog-premium-food?q=:relevance&page=0&size=30

Archived