Did anyone take lots of food products back to the UK?

Newstart

If so, did you ship them, take them on carry on or put them in hold?

I plan on taking lots of Aussie snacks ie chocolates, chips, biscuits , lollies for my future hubby, family and friends in the UK. Also, I want to take a stash of stuff to help me and my father being homesick.

I personally haven't seen anyone take food out of their carry on in security (maybe that's because they only pull it out in customs? )Sorry I am ignorant about all this, having only been out of the country once lol. If it goes in hold will that cause a delay it me getting my bag back? So, should I take advantage of my free baggage allowance or pay through the nose to ship it?lol

I also would love to take some pantry items such as gravox onion gravy and stuffing mix for xmas and a couple of cake mixes, chicken salt and copha. Would all this be allowed?

Guest chris955

Most packaged processed foods are fine, not sure why you would bother really, most take food the other way but each to their own. I do miss Dim Sims though :)

I would only take things that are unique to Australia - like chocolate covered macadamias. You can get most things in the UK. (You can even get Tim Tams in Tescos - or you could when I left in 2008) Plus Uk taste and Aussie taste in lollies and chocolates is different. So maybe you should take some Aussie stuff for yourself LOL

Packaged stuff is usually fine. I'd bung it in checked baggage, not hand luggage. You fill out on the landing card if it asks you about food and go from there. Declare rather than not declare if in doubt.

FWIW, as has been said, many things you can get over here. Its easy to find lots of Aussie things from Milo to Tim Tams, Bundaberg drinks, Cherry Ripes even. O and Vegimite of course.

These things are widely available in the UK as hubby eats them http://www.naturalconfectionery.co.uk/

Plus a fair few other things. I've found all sorts when browsing supermarkets or speciality shops. Even Coopers Pale ale is sold in our local bottle shop here in the UK.

Also there are shops online like the SANZA one for ordering the odd treat if you miss it. As for stuffing, again, UK range is vast (or the option to make your own is also there, same for cakes and cake mix). Hubby uses the Sanza shop now and again but tbh after being somewhere a while you adapt and tend to just get on with what is available around you. Perhaps a treat on birthdays or Christmas for something but otherwise we don't bother.

I make hubby lamingtons and Anzac biscuits but he rarely ever asks for them. He's happy eating what is available here. If you keep hankering after things you've left behind it can also make it harder to let go and settle. You'll probably find over time your wanting things like you listed will slowly pass and you'll not miss them anywhere near as much as you thought you might. Sure the odd thing (for my hubby its iced coffee but hey, Bendicks make the syrup to mix up so he is happy). Other than that, he doesn't really care.

Personally I'd not waste filling your luggage with too much food. Sure bring some bits but you'll be surprised at what is available either online or in stores in the UK.

Things like Gravox, bring it but try to find a UK brand to use in place of it. I've tried all sorts and tbh there good gravy options in the UK.

TAKE whatever makes you happy...............

BUT have to say when I moved to OZ I used to get things sent from Tesco like Stuffing, Gravy, One Cup Coffee Filters, Dry Roast Peanuts to name a few things BUT as you settle you find things to replace these things that you thought you couldn't live without which I'm sure you will find happening to you in time................

Good Luck with your move

Thanks so much guys for all your helpful replies. I won't take so much now. You are right, I will get used to the UK brands :)

Lol, they might prefer their chocolate, I must admit I got addicted to some of the chocolate over there. I think the plain crisps are far better than here in Australia but I think we have better flavoured ones :P

I will ask the bf to see if he can find the tim tams at tescos and try ordering from the websites mentioned. I will take the Gravox onion gravy but not the stuffing mix. The chocolate coated macadamias is something I will definately take.

Can anyone suggest a good onion gravy that tastes as good as gravox? I only tried one onion gravy over there but it was a vegetarian one and I wasn't impressed lol. Also can I ask you guys about bbq sauce? I like the masterfood one here. Over there when I asked for bbq sauce in fish n chip shops it had a smokey flavour. I was wondering if the regular type was available ?

Thanks, Loja, I am very excited! I felt at home as soon as I got off the plane. I love it more than Australia and can't wait to leave! lol

I'm not sure if the online stores Snifter mentioned sell it, but you can't buy cofa in the UK and I have found nothing that acts as a suitable substitute. I have tried to make the odd thing that requires cofa and researched substitutes. I can't remember what I used in the end but it was not the same.

Thanks so much guys for all your helpful replies. I won't take so much now. You are right, I will get used to the UK brands :)

Lol, they might prefer their chocolate, I must admit I got addicted to some of the chocolate over there. I think the plain crisps are far better than here in Australia but I think we have better flavoured ones :P

I will ask the bf to see if he can find the tim tams at tescos and try ordering from the websites mentioned. I will take the Gravox onion gravy but not the stuffing mix. The chocolate coated macadamias is something I will definately take.

Can anyone suggest a good onion gravy that tastes as good as gravox? I only tried one onion gravy over there but it was a vegetarian one and I wasn't impressed lol. Also can I ask you guys about bbq sauce? I like the masterfood one here. Over there when I asked for bbq sauce in fish n chip shops it had a smokey flavour. I was wondering if the regular type was available ?

Thanks, Loja, I am very excited! I felt at home as soon as I got off the plane. I love it more than Australia and can't wait to leave! lol

How exciting! I was last in uk in 2010 and didn't see tin tams there. Our brand of gravy in UK is called Bisto and they no doubt do onion version. We are not big on barbie sauce in UK (ketchup or hp sauce is the norm) and doubt you'd find it much at takeaways and restaurants, but it would def be on the shelves. Crisps and biscuits much more variety zillion fold in the UK so I don't think you'll need to take those apart from favourites! have a look on Sainsburys website (or Tesco if you prefer it - Tesco may stock the things you are after in particular).

I've never understood why some people insist on things tasting a certain way, and cannot accept change, and other people just eat what's on offer.

One of my kids just eats anything, whereas the other is so fussy, and kicks up a fuss if anything tastes slightly different to what they are used to.

This is definately a 'thing', and people fall into one camp or the other. But I don't understand why.

I've never understood why some people insist on things tasting a certain way, and cannot accept change, and other people just eat what's on offer.

One of my kids just eats anything, whereas the other is so fussy, and kicks up a fuss if anything tastes slightly different to what they are used to.

This is definately a 'thing', and people fall into one camp or the other. But I don't understand why.

Me neither.................I saw a woman drop a packet of paxo stuffing into her trolley yesterday................$4 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................Aussie brand 99cents and I just add a bit more onion to it and I can't tell the difference from paxo and neither can my OH.

Personally, I thought Gravox tasted rank. There are loads of options for gravy and stock in the UK. Plus thickeners if required. TBH my idea of onion gravy is to make it with real onions. But you can buy that sort of thing, onion flavoured gravy, also lamb, beef, chicken and veg flavours.

BBQ sauce comes in normal BBQ flavour and also about 10 different other flavours like the smokey flavour or some such. Heaps on the shelf in stores. Usually BBQ sauce isn't served in fish and chip shops, although you can get it I guess. It tends to be mostly ketchup or brown sauce. I don't think a chippie is going to give you a good experience on what you can find in stores. Honestly, get here and go shopping in a large supermarket and you'll be fine. Also making your own BBQ sauce is really simple.

I can't wait to get back to UK to eat some decent cadburys chocolate and galaxy chocolate......sorry but I personally won't miss any food here.

Me neither.................I saw a woman drop a packet of paxo stuffing into her trolley yesterday................$4 65!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................Aussie brand 99cents and I just add a bit more onion to it and I can't tell the difference from paxo and neither can my OH.

I bought 8 boxes of Paxo here when they were reduced to 80c each. Normally they're $5.something and I wouldn't bother. I occasionally crave a Wispa bar but it's only every few months, and same with Cherry coke. I can get both here in town so not too much of a drama. Very happy Woolies stocks Cheshire cheese here now, that's one thing I really missed a few years ago.

But I think UK supermarkets have a much better range of produce than Aussie ones. I have adapted to what is available here, and cook far more from scratch but sometimes I do wish there were more options for healthier ready meals here. In particular I really miss Tesco's Finest meal for two for £10!

I bought 8 boxes of Paxo here when they were reduced to 80c each.

I think Coles will be doing the same....reducing 'em to next to nothing, that's the only packet I've seen sold in weeks. Their new "pom corner" as I call it is ridiculous..............All these products are close on $5 each............jar of pickled onions, red cabbage (I pickle my own anyway), Golden fry gravy....they don't have bisto, packet of suet dumpling mix, Bird's custard. They've even put HP brown sauce on there when they've always sold it in the sauce aisle. The only thing I see sold in quantity is yorky bars and Dr pepper.

Yes must admit I think this "Pom corner" is a bit daft.................purely because in my opinion most of those brands I wouldn't consider "popular" in the UK

Must admit I'm partial to the Haywards Red Cabbage but the rest I'm not bothered about

As you settle in you find things to replace what you THOUGHT you couldn't live without and I agree the prices are ridiculous

• 1 month later...
Personally, I thought Gravox tasted rank. There are loads of options for gravy and stock in the UK. Plus thickeners if required. TBH my idea of onion gravy is to make it with real onions. But you can buy that sort of thing, onion flavoured gravy, also lamb, beef, chicken and veg flavours.

BBQ sauce comes in normal BBQ flavour and also about 10 different other flavours like the smokey flavour or some such. Heaps on the shelf in stores. Usually BBQ sauce isn't served in fish and chip shops, although you can get it I guess. It tends to be mostly ketchup or brown sauce. I don't think a chippie is going to give you a good experience on what you can find in stores. Honestly, get here and go shopping in a large supermarket and you'll be fine. Also making your own BBQ sauce is really simple.

I picked up some bbq sauce from asda the other day. So many bottles had smokey bbq on it. I went with one that said sweet and sticky as I couldn't finf standard (maybe it was just that store). I haven't tried it yet.

Any brand name suggestions for curry powder? I have a recipe for chickpea curry I want to make? :)

Btw I am loving the variety and cheap prices of groceries over here. However not enjoying the miserable weather lol

• 3 weeks later...

haha did you get this the wrong way around? you actually want to bring food back from oz, I can't think of one thing I'd bring back, I'm not saying the food is bad here only that I can't think of one food that is better than you find in the UK, oh maybe mangos but I don't see that is feasible.

I picked up some bbq sauce from asda the other day. So many bottles had smokey bbq on it. I went with one that said sweet and sticky as I couldn't finf standard (maybe it was just that store). I haven't tried it yet.

Any brand name suggestions for curry powder? I have a recipe for chickpea curry I want to make? :)

Btw I am loving the variety and cheap prices of groceries over here. However not enjoying the miserable weather lol

Curry powder - just go to the herbs and spices section of any supermarket and use whatever is there or some supermarkets have a Chinese or Indian section where they have various jars and pots of goodies.

The sweet and sticky BBQ sauce sounds to me like the stuff you put on your meat, not that you have on the side like ketchup. I know in my local supermarket there are at least 3 different plain BBQ sauces to choose from, plus loads of others with a flavour.

FWIW, making your own BBQ sauce is so easy. Then you can make as little or as much as you want also.

Things like Gravox, bring it but try to find a UK brand to use in place of it. I've tried all sorts and tbh there good gravy options in the UK.

Gravox? Seriously? Try the worst, cheapest own brand gravy powder from the cheapest supermarket chain you can find and you might get a reasonable facsimile

I think the only thing I might think about taking back would be dark chocolate macadamias but now I eat far less chocolate and have discovered hotel Chocolat in UK anyway even dark choc macadamias would probably take up too much space in my luggage!

How exciting! I was last in uk in 2010 and didn't see tin tams there. Our brand of gravy in UK is called Bisto and they no doubt do onion version. We are not big on barbie sauce in UK (ketchup or hp sauce is the norm) and doubt you'd find it much at takeaways and restaurants, but it would def be on the shelves. Crisps and biscuits much more variety zillion fold in the UK so I don't think you'll need to take those apart from favourites! have a look on Sainsburys website (or Tesco if you prefer it - Tesco may stock the things you are after in particular).

You'll find a hundred various versions of BBQ sauce in most UK supermarkets - something there for every taste I reckon. Lots of them are US influenced (or purport to be) and most of these tend to be smokey. In takeaways (especially fish & chip shops) you won't really get BBQ, and if you do it might well be a rubbish one. It's a bit like expecting good malt vinegar in an Aussie chippy - just different strokes. TBH I'm unimpressed with the sauce on offer in most UK chip shops, it's all pretty cheap & nasty stuff. But then on fish & chips I prefer simple salt & vinegar anyway. Safest bet is often tartare sauce from a quality PoV for me, but YMMV

Once you have tried BISTO GRAVY GRANUALS you will realise why US POMMIES here in Oz have it sent over .You will ditch your Gravox for ever. There is alot more choice in shops , you will be amazed at what there is , there are even CHIPS u put in the Microwave for 2 mins and you have HOT CHIPS to go.It is what you get used to but honestly i think you will be pleasantly surprised with the Uk food super markets.One thing i do miss is WILTSHIRE HAM makes my mouth water just thinking about it , i hate this Shaved rubbish you have here .

Archived