Who went to the airport alone?

Missus B

So....I've got 12 days left in the UK. This place has been my home for 8 years and I have a lovely group of friends, and they have become my adopted family over this time. I am having my leaving party this weekend and I know it will be emotional. I have close family coming from London and all of my pals will be there. I then go to Ireland for 2 weeks to spend time with my Dad and the rest of the family.

I spent yesterday writing several goodbye letters to people who are important to me. It was a very painful but very cleansing experience...

Dilemma.....should I have people at the airport saying their goodbye's in Newcastle? I asked my ex to take me but he said he couldn't handle watching me walk through the departure doors. I then thought a little more about it, and I wonder if I am putting myself through unnecessary heartache having my friends there, considering I will be saying goodbye to most of them this weekend.

I know there will be no stopping my Dad, sister and best friend being at Dublin airport and I have to face that heartbreaking moment in 26 days.

Did any of you go to the airport alone? If so, did you regret it? If you didn't go alone and had a group of people waving you goodbye, did you wish you had gone alone?

I always prefer to not have a send off at the airport. I like saying my see you laters in the days/weeks before I leave. I don't see the point of putting myself or others through the mill at airports, it's always miserable and I prefer to just go quietly and without fuss. I've make sure I've seen everyone I wanted to well in advance and make it known that airport send offs are not an option.

I'm liking the idea of going on my own more and more. My housemate just said he'd take me and he barely got the words out before welling up:unsure:

I guess, although I'll find it difficult, I know some people really want to be there and I don't want to take that away from them:frown:

Everyone is different, we have asked that no one comes to the airport, we say our goodbyes on the monday and leave on the tuesday. We had our leaving party on saturday, we were really emotional in the morning and were not looking forward to it all, not sure which way it would go - emotional or party party, thankfully the latter, they gave us a fabulous send of.. Sang every wham tune written till silly oclock in the morning!...we had a good ol cry in the morning though, not sure if it was the sore head or the thought of leaving loved ones ;) hope it all goes well ..

We had friends and family come to the airport and no i wouldnt recommend, it was hard saying bye anyway but the whole airport thing just seemed to make it worse, for them and us. Say your goodbyes beforehand would be my advice.

Have a great flight Missus B x

My best friend is insisting that she comes to the airport no matter how many times I have said no. Sigh... I still have a couple of weeks to reiterate. I rather not have an emotional farewell at the airport :(

Guest AKA63029

Nearly always done it by myself B.

For one reason my family are so tight they ask for the parking fee when they leave,:laugh:.

No seriously, always 'preferred to do it by myself, just able to 'deal' with things better is all.

Have a very close family, and to have those muppets :yes: waving good bye would get to me too much if done at the airport, after all, no one likes to see a grown man cry.:laugh:

Guest Guest40285

I always go to the airport on my own, its just to hard saying goodbye, way to hard. its bad enough just leaving the house to go to the airport, I would go on your own for sure.

Cheers Matt

We got married and had a massive party as a combined leaving thing, that was a few weeks prior to departing. The final week we scheduled in last family visits, at their houses. We had 2 family members who drove us to a luxury hotel we'd booked for our last night in the UK. We went out for dinner with them, then they went. The next day we departed, just the two of us, from the airport. No big emotional goodbyes, it was perfect for us.

In my head I just want to feel like I'm just going on a long holiday. For some reason I don't think it will be as hard with my family as I only see them twice a year. But I see my friends almost everyday, and have spent most of the past 6 months with my friends baby triplets that live next door. I think it's gonna have to be a taxi to the Airport:yes:

Guest AKA63029
In my head I just want to feel like I'm just going on a long holiday. For some reason I don't think it will be as hard with my family as I only see them twice a year. But I see my friends almost everyday, and have spent most of the past 6 months with my friends baby triplets that live next door. I think it's gonna have to be a taxi to the Airport:yes:

This might cheer you on your way B whilst siting in the taxi.

I used to be a Taxi Operative :laugh: in a previous life.

Did three or for 'airport' runs every week. One day I got this family who were going to Heathrow and they were flying to Australia for a holiday. I wouldn't say they were stuck up, but any higher and they would need a ladder.:laugh:

Anyway for some reason they made it OBVIOUS they had money, what they were going to do in Australia, their children's private and very expensive education, blah, blah, blah.

And for some reason they took a dislike to me, maybe it was the tattoos, the 'Cock - er - knee' accent, or the fact that I mentioned very quickly that I think they would enjoy OZ as I had been there before.

This was met with a stony silence, sort of 'WTF, a TAXI driver who has been to OZ, ideas above his station or what'.

Anyway as we approached the tunnel at Heathrow the two young children were getting a bit twitchy, 'Are we there yet, are we there yet', you know, as they do.

Well, I saw the young fella look out of the rear window, and in a moment I shall remember for the rest of my life he says, 'Fxxk, Fxxk, aeroplane'.:laugh:

I honestly tried to staunch my laughter, but I was hysterical by the time I got to the drop off point.

All that money, education and son on, and the young fella in one foul swoop made the parents look as if they wanted the ground to open up.:laugh:

I was still laughing when I got their cases out, and for some reason I never got a tip either.

Cheers Tony.

This might cheer you on your way B whilst siting in the taxi.

I used to be a Taxi Operative :laugh: in a previous life.

Did three or for 'airport' runs every week. One day I got this family who were going to Heathrow and they were flying to Australia for a holiday. I wouldn't say they were stuck up, but any higher and they would need a ladder.:laugh:

Anyway for some reason they made it OBVIOUS they had money, what they were going to do in Australia, their children's private and very expensive education, blah, blah, blah.

And for some reason they took a dislike to me, maybe it was the tattoos, the 'Cock - er - knee' accent, or the fact that I mentioned very quickly that I think they would enjoy OZ as I had been there before.

This was met with a stony silence, sort of 'WTF, a TAXI driver who has been to OZ, ideas above his station or what'.

Anyway as we approached the tunnel at Heathrow the two young children were getting a bit twitchy, 'Are we there yet, are we there yet', you know, as they do.

Well, I saw the young fella look out of the rear window, and in a moment I shall remember for the rest of my life he says, 'Fxxk, Fxxk, aeroplane'.:laugh:

I honestly tried to staunch my laughter, but I was hysterical by the time I got to the drop off point.

All that money, education and son on, and the young fella in one foul swoop made the parents look as if they wanted the ground to open up.:laugh:

I was still laughing when I got their cases out, and for some reason I never got a tip either.

Cheers Tony.

Haha that is brillant!!!:notworthy:

I love kids who embarrass their parents. My brother and his wife took their 6 year old daughter to church one day. There was a sudden stench of a ''silent but deadly''. Everyone kept politely quiet. But my niece pipes up, as loud as she could and said in a ''sarf Landan'' accent....''Mummy, that man with no hair in front of us just did a stinker!!!'' Priceless....:biglaugh:

My little sister took me to the airport, we had a coffee, and then said our goodbye´s she started crying and said she would really miss me, I started crying too, I decided that this was the point were I just ´do one´, it was all getting a bit too emotional, I looked back and could see her waving me off and wiping the tears off her face, I just smiled and carried on.

Wish now that I would have stayed with her a bit longer because my shuttle was delayed quite a bit, and I had hardly any time to spend at Heathrow, I got detained at security, seemed to be there ages, waiting, at the same time starving, because I had planned to eat at Heathrow, the reason the security flashed me up was because I had pet ashes, or that was what they told me :cry: I think it was because they knew I was starving and had some duty free shopping to do, which I hardly had time to do, I ended up buying a stale sandwich and just about got my perfume and then had to board my flight.

If I had my time over, would I have a fanfare or just do it as I did it, I would do the same all over again, just a low key departure, I don´t think I could have handled kissing my son goodbye and hugging him for the last time in as many months,

Guest AKA63029
My little sister took me to the airport, we had a coffee, and then said our goodbye´s she started crying and said she would really miss me, I started crying too, I decided that this was the point were I just ´do one´, it was all getting a bit too emotional, I looked back and could see her waving me off and wiping the tears off her face, I just smiled and carried on.

Wish now that I would have stayed with her a bit longer because my shuttle was delayed quite a bit, and I had hardly any time to spend at Heathrow, I got detained at security, seemed to be there ages, waiting, at the same time starving, because I had planned to eat at Heathrow, the reason the security flashed me up was because I had pet ashes, or that was what they told me :cry: I think it was because they knew I was starving and had some duty free shopping to do, which I hardly had time to do, I ended up buying a stale sandwich and just about got my perfume and then had to board my flight.

If I had my time over, would I have a fanfare or just do it as I did it, I would do the same all over again, just a low key departure, I don´t think I could have handled kissing my son goodbye and hugging him for the last time in as many months,

I always knew we moved in different circles Shoes.:wink:

'Do One' in my (old) world was often met with a whack and admission to A & E.:laugh:

Guest lisa crowe
So....I've got 12 days left in the UK. This place has been my home for 8 years and I have a lovely group of friends, and they have become my adopted family over this time. I am having my leaving party this weekend and I know it will be emotional. I have close family coming from London and all of my pals will be there. I then go to Ireland for 2 weeks to spend time with my Dad and the rest of the family.

I spent yesterday writing several goodbye letters to people who are important to me. It was a very painful but very cleansing experience...

Dilemma.....should I have people at the airport saying their goodbye's in Newcastle? I asked my ex to take me but he said he couldn't handle watching me walk through the departure doors. I then thought a little more about it, and I wonder if I am putting myself through unnecessary heartache having my friends there, considering I will be saying goodbye to most of them this weekend.

I know there will be no stopping my Dad, sister and best friend being at Dublin airport and I have to face that heartbreaking moment in 26 days.

Did any of you go to the airport alone? If so, did you regret it? If you didn't go alone and had a group of people waving you goodbye, did you wish you had gone alone?

Hi, yes we went alone, we said all our goodbyes in the 2 weeks before we left, and I'm so pleased that we did, couldnt handle being an emotional wreck in public lol

Guest AKA63029
​Nice one AKA! you ought to start a taxi drivers thread, I bet you've got some great tales to tell!

:shocked::policeman::no::biglaugh:

My Dad dropped us off at the airport, but it was very much a stop, chuck us out and leave. And it was raining so I was keen to just grab the bags and make a run for the building. It was a bit like he was taking us to go on holiday and I don't regret it in the slightest. I'm not an emotional person and would have just got annoyed with people hanging round getting in the way when I was trying to get sorted out and checked in.

We had sorted a deal when we sold our car that we could use it to go to the airport and then get it dropped back to the garage who'd bought it so that meant an extra "body" needed to drive it home which meant we had to take 2 cars so we could fit in all the bags etc. So that meant my Dad and his wife and a family friend (doing the car drop off after) all came to see us off. It was awful. Family friend is ex-army so disappeared fairly swiftly with a handshake which was all good but my Dad was a bit of a mess which wasn't fun. He's waved us off before when we went to Dubai but this time we were going so much further and it's meant to be a permanent move.

On our stop over in Dubai (3hrs) my FiL managed to meet us at our departure gate to see us off from there and he was really good - lots of hugs for the kids and wise words for the grown ups.

Being waved off at the airport depends very much on who is doing the waving off!

In 1978, or was it '18?', my Mum and Dad and Nana came down to Gatwick, Nana, clinging to Mum's arm, and I never saw her again.

My Mum and Dad used to say goodbye at the entrance to the terminal rather than 'spin it out' to the last second.

When I said goodbye to my friend, Alexandra, going to Serbia in June, I cried, but when she came back, I was like bouncer, arms folded, scowling, 'You can't come in here!' I shall be discussing my inability to display my true emotions with my therapist at my next session.

We went to heathrow alone...I remember as a child when nan and grandad use to visit uk from oz and aunt and uncle from NZ I just remember those black and yellow signs that you knew would cause a lump in your throat, tears and heartache....the build up was awful....I must now have a phobia of those signs...:laugh:

I think it easier all round if you go alone....easier in both sides.

Wow - cannot believe how quick your departure has come round! Do you need this at the airport? Just my opinion, but as you are travelling alone, I would say don't have the heartache at the airport.

If we ever get to booking the flights, we are defo going alone. When we went to Oz before my SIL dropped us off outside Heathrow. She is not emotional so we asked her on purpose because we knew she would be OK.

I couldn't have my folks and BFF wailing and blubbering and dragging on my legs as I walked through the security gate:embarrassed: that's not a good look for anyone!

Archived