British Police Officer needs help

Guest Jim and Clare

Guest Jim and Clare

Hello Poms in Oz

I am in need of help, I have a job interview in London for the Western Australian Police. I am currently a Police Officer in the Met, London and have been for 5 years. Before that I was in the British Army and am know looking to transfer to Perth. I am 30 years old and my wife is 28 who is a primary school teacher. I have a 3 year old daughter and my son is due to be born in december 2012.

I missed the open day in London for Western Australian Police so could someone help me with what happens when I arrive? do you get help with accomadation? Is it best for myself to come over two months before my family join me? e.c.t.

Please help.

Jim.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually when you transfer they will accommodate you for a settling period so it could be 1 month or 3..It depends on the company though... I would just ask them when you have your interview.. They love questions anyway it always shows you are interested..

Good luck

To add... Im no cop i just did a search on this site there are a few threads from people in the force.

Edited by kimsdu

Hi Jim

You are very fortunate as I found out that WA police are in London next month for more recruitment/assessment of uk police officers, but I cannot apply as they want officers between 3-7years of service, so my 10 years service (in met)rules me out! As far as I am aware there is no assistance with accommodation, and basically you have to jump in, and get on with the academy, but once thats done and you know where you are being posted, then the hard parts over. its wont be easy, but research, research, research, you will be more informed and able to come to a decision about the move. From what I read on this post, it might be easier going over by yourself (if you and OH/daughter can stand being apart) as you can focus on the academy work. Do keep in touch as I'm not giving up on my interest in going to WA!

Hey Jim, good luck in your I/V mate, I've just handed my application in for the current intake for June 2013. Like yourself I have a young family to take over if successful and it's a difficult decision deciding whether to go alone whilst training and bring the family over later or all go together?!? Not sure if they give any assistance they give you a reference so you can get a place to rent but I think that's it. Are you going to go to the induction day in london some time in December?? Let me know how you get on in the interview as I've been told that it's not a formal competency based I/V Good luck

Arron

Hi Jim and Clare

We have been in Perth 3 and a half years now and oh is a police officer who transferred from the UK .I can tell you they do not help you with any accomodation etc ...you have to sort everything out for yourself .We came over a few wks before oh started the accadamy so we could sort out a house car etc etc ...More than happy to answer any questions you have .Good luck with the interview .Julia

If you are placed in Perth then you will not receive accommodation - you sort that out yourself, especially when you are training.

However, if you are placed in a country location or remote afterwards, then yes you definitely receive subsidised housing which they provide for you. I know many police that have this.

Edited by Sammy1

Yes that is very true Sammy 1 .If you opt to work a country posting then you recieve subsidised housing .Just remember that you dont know were you are posted until you apply and get excepted whilst in the training accadamy so you would need temp acc. in the joondalup area for this time .

Guest cricket1

Hi Arron, just a quick question i submitted my application this week also but havent heard anything back yet...just wondering if you had or how long they take before they get back to you??

Cricket, there are some sample tests on the step forward website, once you've completed one they send you the results by email it also says they would consider 14/26 an encouraging result so about 54%, but its doesn't give a pass mark. I suspect they have a number of places to fill so it may come down to how well you do compared to everyone else.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

Good Luck Jim,

Not much more I can add apart to reiterate, ask loads of questions, don't forget the occupational/social mix though it is a job interview after all. :-)

My meagre advice would be.

Drink in the WAPol web site. set out your skill set and compare them with what ever attachments you have done in your time in the Met and compare the results.

Bear this in mind when asking questions about your future.

If I had my time over again I'd be making the same application.

Best wishes.

Hi my partner has sent his application to WAPOL (he had a confirmation email to say they had received it today). He has 10 years service but still applied regardless as apparently reading other sites they have taken officers with more than 7 years service in the past. If he doesnt get in then at least he tried. You got to be in it to win it!

Hello Poms in Oz

I am in need of help, I have a job interview in London for the Western Australian Police. I am currently a Police Officer in the Met, London and have been for 5 years. Before that I was in the British Army and am know looking to transfer to Perth. I am 30 years old and my wife is 28 who is a primary school teacher. I have a 3 year old daughter and my son is due to be born in december 2012.

I missed the open day in London for Western Australian Police so could someone help me with what happens when I arrive? do you get help with accomadation? Is it best for myself to come over two months before my family join me? e.c.t.

Please help.

Jim.

If you get stuck we have a 3 bedroom rental for January, its only me and my partner so 2 room going to waste.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Hi folks,i have applied as well,serving sgt,14 years service,in it to win it,no rejection yet!

No news is good news?

Good on ya, I'll keep my fingers crossed.