British Police Officer needs help

Guest Jim and Clare

Good Luck to JPC, hope you get through, it's all fantastic when you get there and you can post positive things about the aussie police!

Then I can show my daughter and try to convince her to try for a move to Oz and I get both my daughters and all my grandchildren in the same country!

Seriously, wish you well.

Cheers Pam

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys,

Firstly good luck with the application process, I have my fingers crossed for you all.

Just wondering if I could please pick your brains?

My partner is a Police Officer in Victoria Police. We are looking into relocating to the UK (He is Australian, I am British). Unfortunately it appears that there is no transfer from the Australian Police to British Police. According to the MET website you also need to live in England for 3 years prior to applying. Have any of you ever heard of/met an Australian Police Officer who is now working in England? I think he would need to start the whole process over again.

Do you enjoy working in the MET/ British Police?

Please could you provide any advice which may be helpful?

Thank you.

P.s - My partner loves working for Victoria Police

Guest MARGOCSKA
got through papersift, down to london weds 24th oct for entrance exam...wooo wooo...!!!

hi,

could you let me know what happened in london as i am going for a test on 26th. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WeirdNev
My partner is a Police Officer in Victoria Police. We are looking into relocating to the UK (He is Australian, I am British). Unfortunately it appears that there is no transfer from the Australian Police to British Police. According to the MET website you also need to live in England for 3 years prior to applying. Have any of you ever heard of/met an Australian Police Officer who is now working in England? I think he would need to start the whole process over again.

Thank you.

Hi Aussipom,

I've literally just left the Met (well, I'm on a career break) after ten years.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but recruitment is very, very tough at the moment. I do know of Aussies in the police, but they joined some 10 years ago, and all were "UK citizens" on application. The problem is that the Met, and all forces, are having to cut their budgets by 20%, and the first thing that goes is any new recruitment.

Right now, there are basically 2 routes into the Met Police. One is to be a Special Constable for at least a year, so give up 16 hours a week of your own time for them, for no pay, and then go through a conversion course and induction. The other is from "PCSO" however they have also laid off many PCSO's to cut costs as they can make PCSO's redundant, but they can't make Police Officers Redundant, they just have to wait for them to leave and then not replace them by slowing up/stopping recruitment.

So, it's pretty bleak in terms of getting in right now, and I suspect it will stay that way for 3-5 years. Then of course people will complain there aren't enough police and the politicians will find some money and open the flood gates to all and sundry for about a month, then shut them again! When that happens, they MIGHT open up a transfer scheme, but traditionally the transfers have always been out of the UK to NZ, Aus, and Canada and the US.

It took me about a year to get in as an outsider, now they expect the year out of you before you apply, and then another year waiting for their tortuously slow recruitment process.

So, in short, if you do decide to come over to the UK, I think your partner should consider his options and perhaps do something else for work.

However, it's an excellent job, and they badly need experienced officers over there, they're just not willing to pay for them right now! I loved my job, but often felt down trodden. It's not well rewarded or respected, and the money hasn't changed for a few years now and will likely get worse before it gets better. Personally, If I was a police officer over here, I'd think you were mad to be looking to go and do it in the UK instead.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Firstly good luck with the application process, I have my fingers crossed for you all.

Just wondering if I could please pick your brains?

Thank you.

I can certainly assist with the latest 'refresh' in met recruitment.

the met has to save £500 million by 2015 (by next general election) so most promotion is being reduced, and number of PC's will increase in a big way, how that will translate into new recruits is uncertain, but they are 'converting about 2000 specials (unpaid police officers ) into fulltime paid roles over the next 12 months.

What that means is to get a job near to london, be a special, and sit tight for 12 months so you can be a regular. BUT I would strongly recommend doing research into british police, as it has changed, and you need to realise what its really like, before you take the plunge. there are alot of british officers who are very disillusioned with how the job is going, (pay, pensions, dealing with CPS (prosecutors), how the role is becoming politicised, lack of support from senior officers, the media and politicians,and while most dont want to quit, they doubt whether they will still be there in 10 years...there are moves afoot to allow forces to make officers redundent.

I am not here to spell doom, but I dothink you should you should speak to serving officers...

• 1 month later...

Hi,

sorry to hijack the thread, I have 5 years service in the uk police and am looking to migrate to oz. Where is the best place to do research and how did you guys (and where can I!) find out or apply for any future recruitment drives in WAPOL

thanks for any help

Andy