British Police Officer needs help

Guest Jim and Clare

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I realise this thread is a little old now, but hopefully that means that some of you are now officially living the dream!

I wonder whether any of you could help me, I have looked at both the application (fairly basic) and the recognition of prior service application.

Can anyone please help with some guidance as to what is wanted in the behavioural statement. It's very vague compared to our very specific applications. i.e. "give and example of team working"

Many thanks in advance!

Jade86, my husband has applied from the UK and has been successful, he starts with WAPol in May. I asked him about your question and basically he said that you have to give examples of incidents that you have dealt with which involve the competencies that the Police look for. Such as: teamworking,problem solving, effective communication etc.. If you think about incidents you were involved with just tweak them to show these competencies, some incidents may use more than others. RTC's for example, working alongside other emergency services, remaining calm, communicating effectively. That sort of thing. Hope that helps.

I looked at the competency frame work for the different headings, teamwork, effective communication etc. I would have thought you can find this somewhere as most forces use this framework for internal posts. It worked for me and for the interview stage, as said before, just use some good examples and make yourself sound as though you were amazing when dealing with it!! Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone serving currently in WA police can assist. I am aware of the current recruitment in June 2013 and have been considering it for some time now. I am currently a police officer in the MET, UK for nearly 6 years and wondering if I can get an insight to the police lifestyle for someone who has transfered there ie the job, living, life, people etc.

Thanks

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Julia, I hope you don't mind me messaging you. My oh is applying for WA police at the moment and we are considering the move etc and have a million questions about it all!! We have a 4 year old and 9 month old so there is a lot to think about. I have been doing some research and we realise that the cost of living is very much the same as here depending on where you are and that it would be the lifestyle that we would be moving for. Would you be able to share your experience of it all and the main things that you found difficult. We are in the same situation as others, whether to go with oh during training or wait until afterwards - not sure what would be easiest. It would be great if you could give me any advice, anything at all would be helpful.. thanks Lynsey

Idk001, here is an email I received off a friend of mine who is already living in Perth and working for WAPol. I don't know how many years service your OH has but a 1st Class con will be on $78k as of July and expect to get an extra $9-$12k in shift pens. We have just received our visa today to start in Sept this year, family of four, 3yr and 2yr old on one salary should be fine. Plus look into the centre link (child benefit) you will be surprised how much that bumps the wages up!

Monthly breakdown of our costs as promised......hope it helps.

Rent - 3 bed, 2 bath furnished house in Clarkson = $2100

Bills (Gas / Water / Electric combined) = $250

Car insurance, Fully Comp. = $65 each car

Gym = $60 each

Internet = $60

Mobile phone (Contract) = $50 each. You will struggle to get a contract for the first couple of months, so will just be a case of buying a pay as you go sim until then, which is normally about $30 a month for a half decent package.....just make sure you get your phone unblocked before you leave the UK to make it easier or buy a new one here (basic android phone approx $100)

Fuel = $????. We run two older cars and spend roughly $400 a month on fuel. I travel about an hour each way to work and the wife is about 20 mins each way, so this could be a lot less for you. Fuel is def cheaper here though.

Contents In's = $36, our cover is for up to $75,000 worth of damage for belongings. We don't need building cover, as we are only renting.

Shopping = $????. We generally spend about $800 a month between the 2 of us. This could be knocked down depending on what you buy and where you shop.

Medical insurance = $???? Depends on the size of the family and what policy you want. An average couple on is about $300 dollars total a month....BUT....you don't need this straight away as the medicare system will cover any urgent medical problems (like our NHS). You will no doubt want to get this sorted once you are settled - if for no other reason it means it helps out at tax time!!! Make sure you get any outstanding dentist treatment done before you leave the UK though, as it is very expensive over here.....I just had 2 fillings and it cost me $400.

We pay for a couple of other little bits, but that's a personal preference so won't bother with them. I think the list includes everything you would need though. I def think $4000 will surfice to start and think about it, if your wage covers all the necessities, if you do get a second wage coming in too - even if it's only part time, you will be laughing.

If I can help with anything else just shout. I know the move can be hard and expensive at first.....but trust me it's worth it.

Cheers,

Hi wardy82, thanks for the info that's a great help... my oh has nearly 13 years in and is a sgt here but we know he would go in as a constable.. I am in the job too but not applying as we think it will be too difficult with both the kids to do it all at once. I will find something else to do lol. Is you wife and children going with you for training or are you going alone (hope you don't mind me asking).... its the thought of going over to the unknown which is scary! It would be great to keep in touch to see how you all get on and if don't mind a lot of questions that would be great especially as you seem to be in the same position as us with the kids. Are you getting a company in to pack up and ship over for you or are you doing it all yourself?? I am doing a lot of research but sometimes just having the info from someone who has done it is much better and less confusing haha... thanks so much, good luck with it all you must be really excited now you have the visa's through... not long to go!! :)

Edited by ldk001

No problems asking me questions! I did think about flying out there by myself and doing the course, setting up a rental before my wife and kids fly over however.... lets just say my wife wasn't too keen on a 20hr flight by herself with the kids! and I cant blame her! plus she want's to experience everything from the start with me as a family. So WAPol are happy to take your husband on even though he is a skipper? thats good news! did they say how much service they will recognise? is it still 7 years they will honour so he will, like me, be a 1st Class con after the academy then senior con the following year?

We have decided to go with john mason with the removals, take as much as you can as it is expensive to replace things out there. We have a half container and haggled free storage in Perth for £2400, quotes started at £3k end! call all the companies and play them off one another, john mason knew there were a lot of transitional officers in our intake and so set up a special deal for us. Trying to find a holiday let can be a bit challenging as they are quite pricey, however we are going with another colleague of mine with a young family and sharing a let for 6 weeks near the academy to keep the costs down as it is expensive until you find a permanent rental. A very good blog site is http://www.police-forum.com has every question you could imagine which have been answered by serving WAPol officers. i will pm you my email if you have any further questions

Hi lizmc, they have just lifted the 7 years service so now you can apply as long as you have over 3 years service... but be quick as the closing date for applications is 29th May.. good luck :)

Hi idk001

Thanks for that I got a text from family members in Perth a few days ago, so now I'm very quickly trying to get the app together and get my certs from our HR... Can the application form be emailed or do they expect a hard copy... anyone else applied with more service on here, I have 14 years with AGS, detective, hoping to be lucky enough to get to London in September for the recruitment drive, anyone else on here in the same boat???????????

Hi idk001

Thanks for that I got a text from family members in Perth a few days ago, so now I'm very quickly trying to get the app together and get my certs from our HR... Can the application form be emailed or do they expect a hard copy... anyone else applied with more service on here, I have 14 years with AGS, detective, hoping to be lucky enough to get to London in September for the recruitment drive, anyone else on here in the same boat???????????

The application needs to be sent to them and can't be e mailed. I sent my application with Royal Mail tracked and signed and I received a confirmation stating they have recieved the application and will get in touch shortly.

I think I am roughly in the same boat as everybody else. I have been in the job as response officer for nearly six years. Just recently married and hoping to be successful, go out there and complete training before my wife comes over. Will be bit tough and daunting doing everything on my own first but hopefully can make some friends on the way from the site and as above posts, possibly share/let houses with others to keep cost down while training.

​Good luck to everyone applying.

Hi Jim

My hubby has just applied for this years transfer, we are at very early stages as application only went off this week. We had been watching the WA website as hubby has 16 years experience and we initially thought he couldnt apply (3-7 years service restriction) however that was lifted the last 3 weeks.

Basically hubby is a MET officer (im also, but on a career break) we also have a 7 year old daughter and are keeping everything crossed that hubby is successful. Ive qualified as a nursery manager whilst on my career break with the police and am hoping to continue this avenue in WA so I could help with the settling of our daughter. We have the same questions/uncertainties and would appreciate any info regarding process, living costs, renting, etc etc...

I hope everything is/has gone to plan for you all...

Hi julia

any help with a load of questions my hubby and I have would be greatly appreciated. He has applied for this years intake (currently Met officer) we have a 7 yr old daughter and have probably the same questions as everyone else but would really like an honest opinion/knowledge of someone whose actually living/working what we are hoping to achieve..are you able to help x

Everyone on here going through the recent recruitment........... all your questions and more have been asked and answered by WAPol employees and others that have been through the recruitment process for international officers. Go to http://www.police-forum.com sign up then click "forum" from the menu, WAPol, then a list as long as your arm will appear with hundreds of threads on absolutely everything you can think of. If your question hasn't been answered then just post it and it will be!

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick one... Has anyone heard anything back yet from their applications?

Thanks

I applied and received a first e mail confirmation stating they have received my application and I will hear back soon.

On their website it states that we should hear the results of our application by e mail on the 10th,11th and 12th June.