How bad is England?

oidara

I haven'tlived in the UK for 12 years. We lived in Europe before coming out to Oz acouple of months back. Now I am wondering if we made a mistake by not giving the UK a fair go first.

Sincebecoming an adult, I have never really liked England or felt at home there.We've spent 2-3 months per year visiting, and the bad weather, crowds, chavs,etc, have all been very off-putting.

We havekids now too, and I must admit that people's opinions on PIO about how bad itis for kids in the UK have also put us off. People seem to think kids in Ozhave a better chance in life, better lifestyle and that they don't grow up sofast.

Now I amwondering how bad the UK really is. It's different for us than for a lot of youas we haven't lived there as adults and therefore have never really given it achance. We don't know what life there would be like!

If wecould make it work then we would love to as it would make our families so muchhappier, but we can't imagine how it would be and we worry about the stories ofEngland going down the pan.

Anythoughts? For what it's worth, we would be moving to Devon or Somerset, soperhaps an area not so touched by the problems other parts of the country maysuffer.

PS. Sorry for the odd formatting. Pasted this in from a text file and I've no idea why it's gone like this!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest guest17301

I think you could have a very nice life in the UK if you choose your area wisely. Small towns and villages seem to retain the values and culture of what we all remember with pride. Just be sure you can afford to live in such a place and research, research, research!

Is it true that there is nothing for kids to do? That they hang around the streets drinking alcohol and being menacing!? What about in small towns and villages (especially in the south)?

And is crime a big concern if you live in a slightly nicer area? Where we lived in Europe, we would leave our house and car unlocked. Is there anywhere in the UK (or Oz for that matter!) where you can still do that?

We have left ours unlocked a few times with no trouble. (My wife never checks) The other day I left my car in the drive all day with the keys handing out of the drivers door. Anyone cold have taken it.

When kids hit that 15 - 20 year old gap it's a problem everywhere. It's something you need to solve yourself. The country won't do it for you.

There are problem areas in the UK that is for sure - but we have been blessed with good luck in finding our village.

Is it true that there is nothing for kids to do? That they hang around the streets drinking alcohol and being menacing!? What about in small towns and villages (especially in the south)?

And is crime a big concern if you live in a slightly nicer area? Where we lived in Europe, we would leave our house and car unlocked. Is there anywhere in the UK (or Oz for that matter!) where you can still do that?

Guest guest17301

As for kids being better off in Australia Im not so sure, my 6 year old certainly has a better childhood here than we could provide back in England (as far as my perception of better is) but my teenager...I don't think it's hugely different in terms of possibilies of getting in with wrong crowd, not fulfillling potential, antisocial behaviour etc....she went to a well regarded Catholic school in the UK for the first 3 months of her senior schooling till we moved and goes to a well regarded senior school here (public) and from friends experiences etc I see very little difference in behaviour and attitues of teenagers in both countries

If you have only been in OZ for a couple of months, you have not give Australia a 'fair go' yet! Wherever you choose to live, after twelve years in one place, it's going to take time to settle. I settled back the UK but it was still like emigrating for a second time - and a now a third time in Australia again.

I haven'tlived in the UK for 12 years. We lived in Europe before coming out to Oz acouple of months back. Now I am wondering if we made a mistake by not giving the UK a fair go first.

Sincebecoming an adult, I have never really liked England or felt at home there.We've spent 2-3 months per year visiting, and the bad weather, crowds, chavs,etc, have all been very off-putting.

We havekids now too, and I must admit that people's opinions on PIO about how bad itis for kids in the UK have also put us off. People seem to think kids in Ozhave a better chance in life, better lifestyle and that they don't grow up sofast.

Now I amwondering how bad the UK really is. It's different for us than for a lot of youas we haven't lived there as adults and therefore have never really given it achance. We don't know what life there would be like!

If wecould make it work then we would love to as it would make our families so muchhappier, but we can't imagine how it would be and we worry about the stories ofEngland going down the pan.

Anythoughts? For what it's worth, we would be moving to Devon or Somerset, soperhaps an area not so touched by the problems other parts of the country maysuffer.

PS. Sorry for the odd formatting. Pasted this in from a text file and I've no idea why it's gone like this!

What do you both do for jobs as if you move to Devon or Somerset then depending on what you do you may find work much harder to come by there?

Also a couple of months in oz as someone else has said does not sound like you have given it much of a chance to be honest.

Hi,

I live in Devon just off the M5 in a small town with about 8000'people .

i think wherever you are your going to have good and bad.the town that we live in has a large east European community due to a chicken processing plant a few miles away, you tend to get problems between them and the locals. Our eldest is 14 and basically there is nothing here for her to do and we don't want her to become one of those ' hang out' teenagers.

like most places there are things that you want and haven't got and vice Versa.

i run my own plumbing business and for the last 11 years have been extremely busy, at the moment you would never believe there was a ression on with the amount of work I have.i had a little bump last week when reality started to hit about our move to Perth early next year, where as work finds my through builders and friends of friends to I'm going to have absolutely nothing in Perth, no job or contacts etc am I mad to give this up for a more of a outdoor life in perth .

let me know your jobs and if possible I can advise you on the work situations.

Pros of Devon life:

Amazing countryside with both Dartmoor and exmoor on your dorsteps

lovely beaches

safe living in most areas

good road links

personally work has been good to me

quite friendly

Cons:

High house prices

low wages ( compared with house cost and living)

Highest water bills in uk

things are a lot slower pace of life

A few hours from London

BLOODY HOLIDAY MAKERS BLOCKING THE M5 EVERY WEEKEND

cant go anywhere in summer holidays due to grockles

weather as been pretty bad for the last few summers

Hope this helps a bit

Ian

Hi,

I live in Devon just off the M5 in a small town with about 8000'people .

i think wherever you are your going to have good and bad.the town that we live in has a large east European community due to a chicken processing plant a few miles away, you tend to get problems between them and the locals. Our eldest is 14 and basically there is nothing here for her to do and we don't want her to become one of those ' hang out' teenagers.

like most places there are things that you want and haven't got and vice Versa.

i run my own plumbing business and for the last 11 years have been extremely busy, at the moment you would never believe there was a ression on with the amount of work I have.i had a little bump last week when reality started to hit about our move to Perth early next year, where as work finds my through builders and friends of friends to I'm going to have absolutely nothing in Perth, no job or contacts etc am I mad to give this up for a more of a outdoor life in perth .

let me know your jobs and if possible I can advise you on the work situations.

Pros of Devon life:

Amazing countryside with both Dartmoor and exmoor on your dorsteps

lovely beaches

safe living in most areas

good road links

personally work has been good to me

quite friendly

Cons:

High house prices

low wages ( compared with house cost and living)

Highest water bills in uk

things are a lot slower pace of life

A few hours from London

BLOODY HOLIDAY MAKERS BLOCKING THE M5 EVERY WEEKEND

cant go anywhere in summer holidays due to grockles

weather as been pretty bad for the last few summers

Hope this helps a bit

Ian

Hi Ian I live in Perth, well all I can say is ask yourself why you want to move here...? Is it only just for a more outdoor lifestyle....? For me mate having made the move already I would say if that's the only reason why your moving then its not enough. The list of cons you gave about devon applys here too. The first 4 are an absolute mirror image of here. I'm working as an electrician and earn well here but you have to earn really well other wise it's not worth it. As a guide you need 100000 plus to even have a quality of life after paying your bills. Don't listen to people who say you can live on less, I'm an average lad like you and I speak the truth. I used to shop in places like next, ted baker etc and would never dream of buying clothes from Kmart ( like asda ) just to stay here. As me and the other half said last night " we now realise there's a lot more too life other than sun shine" boy we will miss it bad, but you can't live somewhere just because of the weather. Think hard mate

Hi Guys, we have spent 4 years in different places in Oz. We felt we had seen enough so we came home, we have perm res, after a couple of weeks back we realised what a great country England is...!!!

Life is what you make it, a lot of issues can be avoided or resolved.

I have noticed a lot of deficiencies in my town, litter, derelict areas, etc. These things can be fixed by Council ....if you tell them.!

I have established contact with people in the Council who are happy to have things reported to them.. Some may say I am moaning,whinging etc. but i am helping to resolve things, everyone can do the same.

In Oz or U.K. there are not too many people who go to Council meetings to voice their concerns or support their Councillors, I think we can all do things to improve things and not just expect everything to be given to us. What do you think??

Hi Ian I live in Perth, well all I can say is ask yourself why you want to move here...? Is it only just for a more outdoor lifestyle....? For me mate having made the move already I would say if that's the only reason why your moving then its not enough. The list of cons you gave about devon applys here too. The first 4 are an absolute mirror image of here. I'm working as an electrician and earn well here but you have to earn really well other wise it's not worth it. As a guide you need 100000 plus to even have a quality of life after paying your bills. Don't listen to people who say you can live on less, I'm an average lad like you and I speak the truth. I used to shop in places like next, ted baker etc and would never dream of buying clothes from Kmart ( like asda ) just to stay here. As me and the other half said last night " we now realise there's a lot more too life other than sun shine" boy we will miss it bad, but you can't live somewhere just because of the weather. Think hard mate

Hi paul.

sorry mate that wasn't only reason for moving across , I didn't feel that part of the thread was about my move, saying outdoors was easiest comment.

i am a bit worried though about the amount I can earn , as I said to my wife , I am going to have to get my contractors licence as we probably couldn't afford to live working for a company . But that's the same here in uk , if I worked for a plumbing company in Devon you'd be lucky to get £13-15 / hr .

the only way we survive here is by having my own business.

as a sparky have you got your licence ???, I am also worried about most jobs advertised stats min 5 years WA experience, I realise I'm going to have to work for a firm to start with ( well hopefully ) if I can find work.

where are you in Perth, we're looking at SOR around Warnbro, port Kennedy type areas as it seems there are more rentals and cheaper ones .

thanks for the advise , it's a nerve racking experience, we're booking our flights in a opulent of weeks so drems will soon become reality.

Whats you view on work it situations Nor or SOR , which do you is busier.

Cheers mate ( are plumbers still above Sparkes in oz being the top trade)!!!!!

Ian

Hi paul.

sorry mate that wasn't only reason for moving across , I didn't feel that part of the thread was about my move, saying outdoors was easiest comment.

i am a bit worried though about the amount I can earn , as I said to my wife , I am going to have to get my contractors licence as we probably couldn't afford to live working for a company . But that's the same here in uk , if I worked for a plumbing company in Devon you'd be lucky to get £13-15 / hr .

the only way we survive here is by having my own business.

as a sparky have you got your licence ???, I am also worried about most jobs advertised stats min 5 years WA experience, I realise I'm going to have to work for a firm to start with ( well hopefully ) if I can find work.

where are you in Perth, we're looking at SOR around Warnbro, port Kennedy type areas as it seems there are more rentals and cheaper ones .

thanks for the advise , it's a nerve racking experience, we're booking our flights in a opulent of weeks so drems will soon become reality.

Whats you view on work it situations Nor or SOR , which do you is busier.

Cheers mate ( are plumbers still above Sparkes in oz being the top trade)!!!!!

Ian

Hi Ian yes I do have my A class licence, I'm sure your aware your have to jump through hoops to get your licence, for me this involved going to college for two weeks to learn the standard over here. I'm sure it's changed now and it's more involved. Your find your need a licence for everything so you be back to college many times to pick up your different licences to do different jobs. The standard here is truly shocking electrically speaking, Australians will never be able to teach a time served electrician nothing, I'm sure it will be the same in your trade. I would say it will take you around 6 months or so to get your trade recognised and then you will have to do a contractors licence course (2000 dollars) to set up by yourself. Join the CEPU union as they run reduced fees courses. I work direct for a massive company here and get paid well, but I do lots of hours for it. On average I do 50 hour week plus, if I didn't do all the hours I wouldn't survive here as the cost of living is so high. As a mark if you are coming over as a family look at your need 1000 bucks a week without even taking the family out. All this s##t on here you can survive on 60000-70000 is rubbish. Cheap rents mean one thing, it's not rocket sicence . Many will disagree but take there word and turn up there and the wife will look at you and probley wack you. Look at around 500 plus a week and your be ok. I live north of river so I can't comment on the south other than we have a way better coast line with lots more to do on it. You seem successful back home and with a little grit and hard work your eventually do well here, I would imagion your good at your job as you have your own business in the uk so your be head and shoulders above the Australians here. As in all walks of life the only way to make good cash is to work for yourself, no difference here. I will say my other half is from Devon , moved to London where we met many years ago. She moved as she said devon was too slow to live and that she needed an injection of life. She feels Perth is a slower and more backward way of life than down there

We are the number one trade here by the way ....!

Even with all the new estates past butler, looks like bricklayers heaven up there ..... Never seen so many new houses being built

Butlers Perth way right? i dont touch houses on a price here,down to £260/270 a thou on some sites,waste of time,robbing yer blind they are,using the downturn to fleece yer.

Everyone i know from lpool has gone to Perth,bit warm for too long for me tho tbh,were going S.A IF the house ever sells.

Thanks for the replies, especially to Ian for the detailed info on Devon. I am interested in Devon because my parents live there and we have visited many times. We are self-employed and get our work over the internet, so lack of jobs there won't be an issue, thankfully. The only thing that worries me is the crowds in the summer and other holiday times.

By the way, I totally agree with those of you who have said we haven't given Oz a fair go! Absolutely. And I never imagined I would be even toying with the idea of going back. But I am just having a case of the collywobbles and it has struck me that we never gave England a go. It just didn't appeal. We tried over several years to look around the UK and find a place we felt we could settle, but we always came away feeling like we couldn't. We never actually took the plunge and lived there, though.

Now I wonder if it was a mistake and if, before giving Oz a fair go, we should in fact try England. Stupid thing to realise at this stage, I know! But once we are settled here in a few years, it will make it all the harder to ever try the UK and perhaps we owed it to our families to at least try the UK first. I don't know - rambling here as I am confused!

Honestly the Uk doesn't deserve all the bad press its been getting on here. Its a great place and one can have a great life if you have a decent job. The weather is the only uncontrollable factor. Kids education hasnt gone down the drain from the years gone by in my opinion--the same opportunities exist should you seek them--education wise. As to the job market--it maybe a different question, but nowadays the job market is an international one. I for one do not think my kids are going to get a better education in Australia--our move is fuelled by other reasons and the weather is high up on that list.

I think its a shame how England/Britain gets regularly trashed on here.

I think the reason it gets trashed so much is because of 5 groups of people:

1. people waiting for visas and getting frustrated and fed up with blighty
  2. people who convince themselves upon arrival that its so much better here, as a means of affirming that they've made the right decision
  3. people who desperately want to come here but can't, either because they cant get a visa, or there's a spanner in the works like a family member not wanting to come
  4. people who are/were doing it tough in the UK, either living in a not so nice area, or not having a great income/lifestyle and therefore anything would be seen as an improvement
  5. AND EVEN MORE BIZARRELY people who have never lived in the UK who have formed opinions based on the opinions of the above

TBH I think Britain would come in for a kicking just as much before the GFC, but that certainly has given them more 'ammunition'.

In short, DO NOT base your opinions of the UK on what people say on internet forums, especially this one.

Of course, the same could be said of opinions regarding Australia.

Hi Ian yes I do have my A class licence, I'm sure your aware your have to jump through hoops to get your licence, for me this involved going to college for two weeks to learn the standard over here. I'm sure it's changed now and it's more involved. Your find your need a licence for everything so you be back to college many times to pick up your different licences to do different jobs. The standard here is truly shocking electrically speaking, Australians will never be able to teach a time served electrician nothing, I'm sure it will be the same in your trade. I would say it will take you around 6 months or so to get your trade recognised and then you will have to do a contractors licence course (2000 dollars) to set up by yourself. Join the CEPU union as they run reduced fees courses. I work direct for a massive company here and get paid well, but I do lots of hours for it. On average I do 50 hour week plus, if I didn't do all the hours I wouldn't survive here as the cost of living is so high. As a mark if you are coming over as a family look at your need 1000 bucks a week without even taking the family out. All this s##t on here you can survive on 60000-70000 is rubbish. Cheap rents mean one thing, it's not rocket sicence . Many will disagree but take there word and turn up there and the wife will look at you and probley wack you. Look at around 500 plus a week and your be ok. I live north of river so I can't comment on the south other than we have a way better coast line with lots more to do on it. You seem successful back home and with a little grit and hard work your eventually do well here, I would imagion your good at your job as you have your own business in the uk so your be head and shoulders above the Australians here. As in all walks of life the only way to make good cash is to work for yourself, no difference here. I will say my other half is from Devon , moved to London where we met many years ago. She moved as she said devon was too slow to live and that she needed an injection of life. She feels Perth is a slower and more backward way of life than down there

We are the number one trade here by the way ....!

Hey Paul1977,

I'm also Paul, born in 1977. There is a lot to agree with your above post and some to disagree about it. I'm a plumber like Ian and moved out to Perth in February this year. Yes, its been a pain getting the tradespersons license and doing the 2 week migrant plumbing course and still having to do a 3 week gas course but its part and parcel of the move. Some of the standards might be shocking to some ( I think they're good). Our main reason for leaving London (lived there for 8 yrs) was definately the quality of life for our ourselves and our kids (3&1), the good weather and better work prospects. Currently my family survives on my income only. I earn a pretty average wage of about $70 000 a year and yes, in the beginning it proved to be quite tight some months since the whole relocation sucked us dry but now 6 months in and its getting much better. I worked in London on some big projects like the Olympic stadium and westfield shopping centres and earned average plumbers wages and i admit that there is more of a disposable income in the UK compared to here. But the quality of life here in Perth beats London hands down. The kids love it here and there is so much to do here. Perth is built for family life. Yes perth is farking ludicrioulsy expensive but it just requires a different outlook and lifestyle change to what you're used to back in the UK - you just adjust. We live in Dianella/Morley and pay $400 rent a week for an awesomely spacious 3 bedroom house with a big garden. Back in London we lived in a bloody shoebox. In many ways, Perth does feel pretty backwards in some ways but it certainly does offer a relaxed laid back sunny life with lots to enjoy. After all, WA stands for Wait Awhile.

See ya later.

Hey Paul1977,

I'm also Paul, born in 1977. There is a lot to agree with your above post and some to disagree about it. I'm a plumber like Ian and moved out to Perth in February this year. Yes, its been a pain getting the tradespersons license and doing the 2 week migrant plumbing course and still having to do a 3 week gas course but its part and parcel of the move. Some of the standards might be shocking to some ( I think they're good). Our main reason for leaving London (lived there for 8 yrs) was definately the quality of life for our ourselves and our kids (3&1), the good weather and better work prospects. Currently my family survives on my income only. I earn a pretty average wage of about $70 000 a year and yes, in the beginning it proved to be quite tight some months since the whole relocation sucked us dry but now 6 months in and its getting much better. I worked in London on some big projects like the Olympic stadium and westfield shopping centres and earned average plumbers wages and i admit that there is more of a disposable income in the UK compared to here. But the quality of life here in Perth beats London hands down. The kids love it here and there is so much to do here. Perth is built for family life. Yes perth is farking ludicrioulsy expensive but it just requires a different outlook and lifestyle change to what you're used to back in the UK - you just adjust. We live in Dianella/Morley and pay $400 rent a week for an awesomely spacious 3 bedroom house with a big garden. Back in London we lived in a bloody shoebox. In many ways, Perth does feel pretty backwards in some ways but it certainly does offer a relaxed laid back sunny life with lots to enjoy. After all, WA stands for Wait Awhile.

See ya later.

You think the standards good here...! Jesus you got to be kidding me. It's the worst standard I've ever seen and will ever see. Everything is lashed in. How do you survive on70000...? You must have very little left at the end of the week, no holidays for you then on that wage

Archived