DRAFT Review of Dog and Cat import requirements

JoandJon

Oh, wow - I wonder how quickly the new quarantine time will be put into practice ?

Logic says that there must now be sooo many 'companion animals' who are squeaky clean when they arrive that the system needs to be speeded up.....

Is it too early to tell my 'girls'.....? :animal-dog::animal-dog::animal-cat:

I plan to send them at the end of the year - at the moment we are pootling along quite nicely with all the vaccs....it would be wonderful, both for them & my wallet if the quarantine was reduced by then.....

Great post - Thank you...... :smile:

Hello Sheps OH here, thank you so much for posting this article. very very exciting news, we are hoping to fly the end of this year with my two best friends, sydney and baby and it would be amazing if they only had to do 10 days as opposed to 30 days quarrantine. its the most worrying part of the whole process for me. thank you so much for sharing this info and fingers crossed for all our pets sake :animal-dog:

It's only a draft proposal at the moment - I wouldn't count on it until the ink is signed and all is sorted. It may end up that they don't go with it for various reasons.

I'd have loved it to only be 10 days for Satch - but she (and we) made it anyway!

Cheers

Guest weecraigy

I have a dogue de bordeaux and 2 x cats, i do hope this proposal happens, my family plan to fly out to perth by the end of the year and i am slowly making progress with vacs etc.

Can you get the rabies blood tests done before getting the rabies vacs. We are trying to get everything done 5 months before so my pets only need to do 30 days quarantine.

Can anyone advise pet courier companies?

"... It's only a draft proposal at the moment - I wouldn't count on it until the ink is signed and all is sorted. It may end up that they don't go with it for various reasons ...."

....Very true - these things can take ages - so no point telling my girls yet - 10 days or 30 days - we'll handle it ...

I think they will eventually adopt it - or at least reduce the time, simply because there are so many 'companion animals' now travelling....

I don't know if anyone has done a survey of the increase (like they do with numbers for immigration) but the explosion in the number of 'pet shippers' gives a clue to the amount of business available to keep them afloat....

I'm all for some quarantine - having lived through the horse 'flu epidemic which swept Australia & wreaked havoc throughout the horse community (to say nothing of the anguish of having two very sick horses) .....

That was caused by lax quarantine practices ....

So we wait with bated breath ....

BTW, Congratulations (on your post-script message) JoandJon .....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

Does anyone know how long this review might take and when a decision will be made? Also interested to know if anyone has heard anymore on this and if there is a good chance the quarantine time might be reduced.

Thanks.

Hi,

Does anyone know how long this review might take and when a decision will be made? Also interested to know if anyone has heard anymore on this and if there is a good chance the quarantine time might be reduced.

Thanks.

I posted a reply in the other thread.

This is what AQIS currently say on the matter

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/policy-review-of-the-importation-of-dogs,-cats-and-their-semen--faq

Till then don't plan on anything and carry on following the regulations that are currently in place. I am sure that as soon as anything new is decided, it will be posted on the AQIS website for all to see.

• 5 months later...

I contacted them on April 3 to see if the changes would come into effect soon. Here's the reply I got:

The Department of Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (DAFF) recognises the strong interest prospective importers have in the draft policy review, and is focussed on finalising the review.

Well over 100 stakeholder comments and submissions to the review were made, which require appropriate evaluation before the draft review is finalised. Once the policy review draft is finalised there remains a number of steps to 'operationalise' the policy.

Without providing a firm commitment, to finalise the policy and put in place operational arrangements, it could conceivably take at least the remainder of 2013. There is also no guarantee that, once the review is finalised and new arrangements are in place that the conditions will be the same as they are in the draft review on the DAFF website. For these reasons, DAFF recommends people who wish to import cats and dogs to Australia do so within the current policy framework.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived